Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My first turbo build.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by chicofiebru
Man I was supposed to make the order on Friday, but I dont have all the funds yet, I hope to do it at the latest next Friday. I'm going to buy the HuronSpeed kit, I think it's already quite complete. I dont want to start ordering parts here and there from Huron because I know I'm going to start taking everything apart without having the complete kit, then I'm going to want to go to the track before it's closed until next year and I'm not going to be able to. But I know I'm going to need some things from this list, you know how it is. Are you working on the new build already? you are doing all the tubing right?
I havent started on it yet. I just got the flanges and pipe in the other day. I'm collecting parts as the guy gives me money. Hes about to give me a big lump sum and i'm buying a new upgraded head unit for mine and taking the on3 7875 off and putting it on the shelf for his build. I may offer to buy it back from him and let him get a billet 7875 from VS racing. Then I may procure another project to use it on. Yes I build the whole kit from scratch. The single kits they have available for a GTO does not let you retain the ac. Ac is a must here in Louisiana and my kit retains ac.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

btw, I didnt want to be without my car either, but sometimes you gotta sacrifice. First time the boost hits, itll all be worth it.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll torch that nice new 4l60e in no time, trust me and others who've boosted their cars.

It's worth a whole lot more now than when it first slips going into 2nd or 3rd. Once that happens, you'll wish you pulled it, sold it and at minimum grabbed a donor 80e with the HD2 shift kit installed.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I went to the track last Friday, temperature was around 46, 45 and I could not grab traction at all, but I trap123.25 in one pass and 123.63 in the other. Only changes this time were that I put a chris1313 intake that I had laying around in the garage and the change in temperature. Last time when I ran 11.6 the temp was around 59 and last Friday was around 45, 46. So I can say that although I could not grab traction, the chris1313 and the weather help with my trap.

Last edited by chicofiebru; 11-12-2018 at 12:31 AM. Reason: picture was not showing
Old 11-12-2018, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

I try to put the two passes in the same post but for some reason one of them was not showing up.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2kgtp

Yea i put the hd2 kit in myself. It’s pretty easy actually. With the shift kit, converter, and the trans im ~$1600 invested in my trans. Mine came from a 98 silverado 2500
I went to the local junkyard and the 4l80s are 249.88. Went in, walked around and there was plenty of them, so I think I'm going on the same route thanks for the advise.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the local junkyard and the 4l80s are 249.88. Went in, walked around and there was plenty of them, so I think I'm going on the same route thanks for the advise.
Heck yea!! I really like mine. Only down fall i can think of is the weight. But you cant have it all I guess
Old 11-12-2018, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by roadhammerr
I paid $150 for my 6 l and 4 L 80 transmission it came from a 99 Chevy Silverado 2500 2 wheel drive
Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
You'll torch that nice new 4l60e in no time, trust me and others who've boosted their cars.

It's worth a whole lot more now than when it first slips going into 2nd or 3rd. Once that happens, you'll wish you pulled it, sold it and at minimum grabbed a donor 80e with the HD2 shift kit installed.
249.88 where I am in Texas. It is not brand new but it is in good condition. I put it in the car around 2012, but I dont daily the car, so it has like 5,000 miles since then, so yeah, brand new pretty much. But yes, I'm going to look for one, as soon as I order the turbo kit. In relation to the shift kit, what brand have you guys used?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
I havent started on it yet. I just got the flanges and pipe in the other day. I'm collecting parts as the guy gives me money. Hes about to give me a big lump sum and i'm buying a new upgraded head unit for mine and taking the on3 7875 off and putting it on the shelf for his build. I may offer to buy it back from him and let him get a billet 7875 from VS racing. Then I may procure another project to use it on. Yes I build the whole kit from scratch. The single kits they have available for a GTO does not let you retain the ac. Ac is a must here in Louisiana and my kit retains ac.
btw, I didnt want to be without my car either, but sometimes you gotta sacrifice. First time the boost hits, itll all be worth it.
Thats good, I dont have AC but I barely drive my car around. But I'm going to tell you this, the previous time I went to the track, the glass was fogging real bad, and without heater I had to be wiping it all the time. It was bad, specially when youre doing the burnout, trying to get ready and when you look forward the glass is fogged. This time I used the Xrain Anti Fog spray and I had no problems at all, glass was clear the whole time. And yes I cant wait to feel that first boost hit!!

Last edited by chicofiebru; 11-12-2018 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Error
Old 11-12-2018, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2kgtp

Heck yea!! I really like mine. Only down fall i can think of is the weight. But you cant have it all I guess
Agreed!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven’t had any issues with the on3 turbo. At all. It’s actually built pretty nice. I’ve only got about 800-1000 miles on this setup so I can’t talk about longevity in my own experience but I know a girl that has a 9 second 5.0 with twin on3 turbos and it’s been trouble free for 2 or three years now. And it’s a driver not just a race car.

this is my blowoff https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-A...edirect=mobile

snd my wastegate
https://www.ebay.com/itm/44MM-Wasteg...edirect=mobile
What springs fit in that? Tial style 44mm's similar to vs racings?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

So I went to the track last Friday, temperature was around 46, 45 and I could not grab traction at all, but I trap123.25 in one pass and 123.63 in the other. Only changes this time were that I put a chris1313 intake that I had laying around in the garage and the change in temperature. Last time when I ran 11.6 the temp was around 59 and last Friday was around 45, 46. So I can say that although I could not grab traction, the chris1313 and the weather help with my trap.

How the hell did your mph jump from 116 to 123?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Suncc49
What springs fit in that? Tial style 44mm's similar to vs racings?
I really dont know what springs fit.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Bro only explanation I can gave you is that this time I put a chris1313 ramair intake in the car, which there are are other people putting down the same trap speed, heads and cam using this intake. I was surprised too, believe me, but when I put the same mph again I was like this thing is working. Other thing I can think about is the cold, car was feeling better. Freaking traction sucks, but I guess the weather helping the car make more power affected that. I also lower the tire pressure to 17 from 20 before making a test pass first, and 20 was at what I ran the tires last time. Maybe that was what affected my 60' and once I lowered the tire pressure I didn't had a way to raise it back. I'm happy with the car!
Old 11-13-2018, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Bro only explanation I can gave you is that this time I put a chris1313 ramair intake in the car, which there are are other people putting down the same trap speed, heads and cam using this intake. I was surprised too, believe me, but when I put the same mph again I was like this thing is working. Other thing I can think about is the cold, car was feeling better. Freaking traction sucks, but I guess the weather helping the car make more power affected that. I also lower the tire pressure to 17 from 20 before making a test pass first, and 20 was at what I ran the tires last time. Maybe that was what affected my 60' and once I lowered the tire pressure I didn't had a way to raise it back. I'm happy with the car!
holy crap cakes! I need one of those intakes. I dont even have an F body, but thats amazing from an intake. Can you post some pics of it, I'm not familiar. My son actually has a 98 z28 with a blown engine....eventual project car. I'd be happy too! maybe put a bigger stall and tires.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 11-13-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

holy crap cakes! I need one of those intakes. I dont even have an F body, but thats amazing from an intake. Can you post some pics of it, I'm not familiar. My son actually has a 98 z28 with a blown engine....eventual project car. I'd be happy too! maybe put a bigger stall and tires.
I bought it from Speed Inc. First pic is from them, others are from mine. Mine is all messed up cause I had it in the garage laying around. I put some heat shield tape around it, just for the heck of it. I have the non ac version. Just to let you know, the reason I had it off the car was because I live in TX, so in the summer it gets real hot and this thing sits in front of the radiator so I was seeing temps go up to like 210, I'll say. Nothing super bad but my car usually stay around 180-185 summer time. But now I had the fans programmed to come on sooner and I also have an slp fan switch, so I can put the fans on high or low between passes in the staging lane, plus is already cold here, is 33 degrees right now. Just a heads up!

Old 11-13-2018, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol I can’t tell what I’m lookin at. What does non ac version mean?
Old 11-13-2018, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

I bought it from Speed Inc. First pic is from them, others are from mine. Mine is all messed up cause I had it in the garage laying around. I put some heat shield tape around it, just for the heck of it. I have the non ac version. Just to let you know, the reason I had it off the car was because I live in TX, so in the summer it gets real hot and this thing sits in front of the radiator so I was seeing temps go up to like 210, I'll say. Nothing super bad but my car usually stay around 180-185 summer time. But now I had the fans programmed to come on sooner and I also have an slp fan switch, so I can put the fans on high or low between passes in the staging lane, plus is already cold here, is 33 degrees right now. Just a heads up!

Lol I can’t tell what I’m lookin at. What does non ac version mean?
Lol no prob. The non ac version is bigger, wider so more air can go through, but in order to use it you have to remove the ac condenser which sits in front of the radiator, if not it wont fit. They have an ac version which fits in front of the ac condenser, so you can keep the ac but it not as big. So just to let you know the second pic is the intake from under the car, so you see the intake, in between the radiator and the bumper (notice the air dam), thats how it goes all the way down. 2nd pic is through the intake from above and the last one is how the intake sits on the airbox. Not the best pictures I know! There are other companies with similar versions but I think these one was the only non ac one.