Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Budget TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sbcgenII

Inducer and exducer are really close. A lot more to it than that though.
Agreed. But was just referring to the turbine "options" of the two.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The wheels are the same exducer. On3 doesn't list the inducer/trim for the wheel but I'm told they are different.
The Precision can also be had with (technically) 5 different turbine housings, and the CEA spec turbine wheels are probably way better than what is on the On3.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my on3 was 83mm when I measured it.
Found my old thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...omparison.html
Old 11-02-2018, 02:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy

o I’m not wasting my money on that. I’ve read they are worse than china turbos for three times the price and ridiculous prices to rebuild or repair. I saw that thread with those two guys “trying” to beat up on gameova
I've used quite a few Precisions on 4cyl cars, up to 45psi boost. One car has a 6262 that's still running great with over 10 years of use. I've worked on others that have suffered damage and they've always been very cheap to have repaired and they were BB units.

So a lot of what you read is also bullshit. That said....I did buy BW's for my own car, but I wasnt opting for a BB turbo, just didnt see any sense for the extra money on a large V8

That said, when the turbo is a really important part of the puzzle.....I've never seen anything Chinese at any price I would consider when the likes of a proper BW is so cheap.
A proper modern unit will spool faster and move more air than any of the Chinese equivalents. But for some, yes a turbo at $150-200 is certainly a bargain and will undoubtedly help make power.

But the likes of Precision and Turbonetics do offer a huge range, and tend to be able to offer bigger units within a small frame, which can be handy if space is tight. Comp is another brand, really dont think they have a great reputation ?

Or likes of Bullseye Performance, but some of those seem a little overpriced when many are based around BW parts. But they have a solid reputation.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:35 PM
Restricted User

I've seen multiple Precision failures. I've seen turbine wheels come out of downpipes. That's some scary stuff. They make incredible power for their size, but man when those shafts break, yikes.

BW is always going to be my main go-to when available. I've never had a Turbonetics fail on me personally. Their 50 trims used to be the big ticket back when I was doing 4-cylinder stuff.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I've seen multiple Precision failures. I've seen turbine wheels come out of downpipes. That's some scary stuff. They make incredible power for their size, but man when those shafts break, yikes.

BW is always going to be my main go-to when available. I've never had a Turbonetics fail on me personally. Their 50 trims used to be the big ticket back when I was doing 4-cylinder stuff.
Most of the Precision failures that have cropped up on Tech that I've noticed, have all been oil journal units. And IMO, a lot of the time the turbos would seem small for the application....ie potential overspin.
But it was that reputation that steered me away from them even though I've used plenty of them here myself on 4cyl cars and they really have been superb.

Pretty much everywhere though, BW's have one of the best reputations, and their SXE stuff all solid performers ( mine isnt an SXE...but is essentially an SXE as my 64mm units were a small batch of prototypes prior to the SXE's being released )
For less than $1000 ea for a proper billet wheel unit with a modern turbine....hard to beat really.

It's just a pity that some of the BW's are just physically very big, but that's maybe why they're so good and robust.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I've used quite a few Precisions on 4cyl cars, up to 45psi boost. One car has a 6262 that's still running great with over 10 years of use. I've worked on others that have suffered damage and they've always been very cheap to have repaired and they were BB units.

So a lot of what you read is also bullshit. That said....I did buy BW's for my own car, but I wasnt opting for a BB turbo, just didnt see any sense for the extra money on a large V8

That said, when the turbo is a really important part of the puzzle.....I've never seen anything Chinese at any price I would consider when the likes of a proper BW is so cheap.
A proper modern unit will spool faster and move more air than any of the Chinese equivalents. But for some, yes a turbo at $150-200 is certainly a bargain and will undoubtedly help make power.

But the likes of Precision and Turbonetics do offer a huge range, and tend to be able to offer bigger units within a small frame, which can be handy if space is tight. Comp is another brand, really dont think they have a great reputation ?

Or likes of Bullseye Performance, but some of those seem a little overpriced when many are based around BW parts. But they have a solid reputation.
I guess myself and many others are full of it. I've seen with my own two eyes that precision is very subpar, when it comes to reliability. We aren't talking 4cyl @ 45psi here, were talking the typical Ls application, 5.7-6.0 @ 20ish. And if it's from "over spinning" as you say, I've been over spinning On3's offering for more miles than the precision and its yet to come apart, OR leave me fumagating my subdivision from a piston going bad. Precision makes the power, but the reliability is very suspect imo.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 496 Likes on 383 Posts

My vote would be for the Turbonetics T7875, I've been running mine for a little over two years and it's never given me any issues.
I'd suggest picking up a lightly used T7875 or Borg rather than buying new, I picked up my T7875 for $800 if I recall.
Used Borgs can be found for the same or less and billet units not much more, just keep an eye out.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I had issues with Precisions about 10yrs ago and got away from them. I made the switch back a few years ago and that's almost all I use now minus a few borgs here and there. The precision wheel technology blows away anything else in the similar size turbos. Put a CEA 7675 and don't look back.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DBRODS
I had issues with Precisions about 10yrs ago and got away from them. I made the switch back a few years ago and that's almost all I use now minus a few borgs here and there. The precision wheel technology blows away anything else in the similar size turbos. Put a CEA 7675 and don't look back.
Not sure that I would call 45-50 rwhp "blowing away", especially when looking at a price differential of what $1300 or more.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Not sure that I would call 45-50 rwhp "blowing away", especially when looking at a price differential of what $1300 or more.
The Precision will make 1000whp, will any of the china turbos in similar size make that? I forgot that this forum has turned into china town.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

The Precision will make 1000whp, will any of the china turbos in similar size make that? I forgot that this forum has turned into china town.
Why wouldn't this forum turn into "China town", when it's been made abundantly clear that the quality made in USA units have QC issues? Anyway, I know that at the 800 wheel level, on a 6.0 there's only a 50ish whp difference. And I can't say for sure either way, but I doubt that even the billet GTS will make 1kwhp through a 400.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

They wont, and they'll spool slower..Some are happy with that, but for the OP asking and with a manual car....China would be compromises everywhere.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
Good info, I value your opinion.

I was thinking/hoping that i have gen 4 rods but i bought aluminum 5.3 out of a 2004 buick rainier and I tore the motor down this weekend and it had gen 3 (even had 13mm valley and exhaust manifold bolts) rods and pistons, so I had kinda given up on my hopes of my engine having gen 4. My plan is to keep it 10 psi and below on this motor, enjoy it and try to make it last while i collect parts to put good rods and pistons in this 5.3 and then turn it up.....after I upgrade fuel system and drivetrain of course. All i want is a car i can drive comfortably and quietly anywhere i want that will trap about 127-130 in the 1/4.....i'm not sure this motor i have now will do it at 10-12 psi
haha I bought a 2003 5.3 LM7 fully thinking I got a gen 3 and opened it up, bastard 3.5 gen. Basically it has gen 4 rods with pressed pistons I assume. Never pulled the pistons. So it’s always a crap shoot, better off getting an 05+ to ensure gen 4 internals.

My vote would be the billet 78/75, ball bearing not needed. Or something close like the VS 83mm or a borg clone. Keeping the turbo in the 700 less range will give u the moneys to build a good hotside and maybe spring for a quality WG or coat the hotside.

But i I mean damn, u just finished this one lol.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Also don’t worry about the gen 3. I’ve been beating on mine for 3 years with 150k on the u touched shortblock that came out of a 99 Silverado 5.3 LM7 and I’ve been to 15psi. Just gotta watch those rpms. I only spin to 6000-6500.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:32 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Also don’t worry about the gen 3. I’ve been beating on mine for 3 years with 150k on the u touched shortblock that came out of a 99 Silverado 5.3 LM7 and I’ve been to 15psi. Just gotta watch those rpms. I only spin to 6000-6500.
Some of us are lucky I think. I've been waiting for the 240k mile stock gen 3 4.8 in the corvette to grenade so I can upgrade, but it laughs it off.
17 PSI on E85 with a big cam spinning 7000+ with quad 50mm turbos. Made 600 wheel on 11 PSI letting out at 6000 and power looked like it was climbing a wall at that point.
Deka 80s are topped out at 17 PSI. I either need to upgrade the injectors or ditch the stock truck regulator to run more base pressure.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird

haha I bought a 2003 5.3 LM7 fully thinking I got a gen 3 and opened it up, bastard 3.5 gen. Basically it has gen 4 rods with pressed pistons I assume. Never pulled the pistons. So it’s always a crap shoot, better off getting an 05+ to ensure gen 4 internals.

My vote would be the billet 78/75, ball bearing not needed. Or something close like the VS 83mm or a borg clone. Keeping the turbo in the 700 less range will give u the moneys to build a good hotside and maybe spring for a quality WG or coat the hotside.

But i I mean damn, u just finished this one lol.
i know I just finished. But looking back now, I enjoyed it. Now I know what I have to look forward to so I’ll take my time this go round and upgrade a few things while I’m at it. I’ve already started buying build parts. The head flange is a 1/2 billet stainless one that cost twice as much as the flange I have now and it’s waaaaay nicer. Instead of smashing pipe this time with a hammer I’m going to buy the proper oval tubing. I won’t start on it till probably January but I’m ordering the upgrade ls turbo in the next week or so and putting it on this setup. Wish i could get to the Dyno and do a before and after.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Some of us are lucky I think. I've been waiting for the 240k mile stock gen 3 4.8 in the corvette to grenade so I can upgrade, but it laughs it off.
17 PSI on E85 with a big cam spinning 7000+ with quad 50mm turbos. Made 600 wheel on 11 PSI letting out at 6000 and power looked like it was climbing a wall at that point.
Deka 80s are topped out at 17 PSI. I either need to upgrade the injectors or ditch the stock truck regulator to run more base pressure.

hit me up if you wanna sell those deka 80’s. I tried to message you but there’s no option to on your profile.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Best turbo in your footprint would be a gen 2 pte 7675. That is the first of the cea 75 turbine and gen2 cea compressor. Comp turbo had some new larger options in that frame size and I don’t think they use there outdated 79 turbine anymore, but not 100% sure on that.

Most of these 75mm .96 t4 turbine turbos from China and here will probably perform close unless the turbine is different between. The hot side is the main limit on most and that is why I think the cea turbine of the gen 2 pte will push it ahead. They are pricy though.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slowride
Best turbo in your footprint would be a gen 2 pte 7675. That is the first of the cea 75 turbine and gen2 cea compressor. Comp turbo had some new larger options in that frame size and I don’t think they use there outdated 79 turbine anymore, but not 100% sure on that.

Most of these 75mm .96 t4 turbine turbos from China and here will probably perform close unless the turbine is different between. The hot side is the main limit on most and that is why I think the cea turbine of the gen 2 pte will push it ahead. They are pricy though.

i still have not decided. I’ll settle on one thing one day and change my mind the next. I was gonna order it this weekend but I’m still undecided. Here’s my thought. The cast 7875 I have now makes really good power. It turns on real quick. It could be a tad quicker and I’d be happier. So the billet version supposedly spools quicker because of the improved blade design and pressure ratio. So maybe I should just keep it simple? But then there’s the side of me that says to get the new 7675 that on3 has because it’s got much more room to grow, but what if it spools slower? Then I won’t be happy. The 7675 bmf on3 unit is $899 shipped and the vs racing billet 7875 is $555 shipped. Vs racing had replied quickly to every question I’ve had. On3, well it takes a couple days if he replies at all. So that’s a consideration too.