Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

408 d1sc fmic e85

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408 d1sc fmic e85

Hey folks... I wanted to give some information on my build so it might help a few others looking at the boards trying to get some information like I did. I've seen countless posts claiming a 408 is far too much motor for a D1SC to make power... I wanted a good fun street car that makes gobs of power early and I think I've got it.

Chris1313 and Nasty performance both helped me out big time with my fuel setup and Bob @ brute speed has been top notch and unreal with the customer support.

The Motor is a 408
Eagle Crank maybe
Compstar rods
Weisco pistons
10.2:1 compression

Heads are Frankenstein LS3 stg1.5
Cam is a 236/246 638/622 114+4 LSA

Fuel system
Chris1313 Dual 450 with pretty much everything plug and play.. This is a quality piece I'd recommend to anyone.
10 Feed
8 Return.

Nasty Performance got me everything I requested and it was as keep it simple stupid as possible. Everything came in clearly marked bags stating what fittings go to what. I'm sure I didn't need to go as big as I did, but it works exactly how I wanted it to.
10 Feed with a Y going split down to an 8 at each rail. I used a magnafuel boost reference fuel pressure regulator that nate also provided. one rail into one side of the regulator and the other side to the other. The return was an 8. This setup was clean and simple and something I could grow into.
Fuel injectors are ID 1000. Originally I planned on running 93 and 50/50 meth/water, but I changed my mind at the last minute.... So I have a never used Alky control kit for sale!
Fuel is E85. I've run tests twice out here and both times it came back at 95% Once was around march and again yesterday. its about 11 miles away so I simply fill up and toss 20 more gallons in the back of the car... eventually i'll get a 55 gallon drum and store it at the house.

Induction System
NW 102 TB
FAST LS3 102 intake

D1SC 3.55 pulley I bought this kit on here and it started off as a 4.63 something pulley, stock J bracket and dual intercoolers.... I literally only have the damn head unit left from the purchase. But I've been able to quickly turn around everything else to others.
Aster Bracket.
51" belt
Procharger FMIC 1300hp version
Big red BOV

Exhaust
Texas speed 1 7/8 Stainless headers
Catless Y from Kooks
Magnaflow catback

Transmission
T56 all the built goodies.....
McLeod Twin disk RXT (Great experience with them too. The clutch was in the car and all kinda burnt up. Sent it off for 400 i believe and i basically got a new one back and it was quick.
Tick master and stock slave.

I'm on the fence here about this. I think my fluid is **** and is burning up a bit. I checked it today and its looking pretty nasty after less than a year and the pedal doesn't feel right.

Differential
Moser 12 bolt
Eaton Posi
Yukon 373 gears

Got it tuned today and the car put down 808/738 No filter and 760/704 with the filter and stock style hat. I have the truck style on the way from Bob. I'll report back and let you guys know if it makes a difference. Either way the power is stupid on the road even with the 315 nt05r out back. The one issue I did have is it made that around 5600 RPM and pretty much flattened out. The tuner mentioned I was at 12PSI and then it dropped to just below 10 for the rest of the pull. Tuner thinks it belt slip, but I dont know.. confused: Power doesn't really fall off flat it just stops making power with a slight dip and i mean slight, but his logging clearly shows I lost 2 lbs of boost for some reason and it was pretty consistent. . Is it a coincidence that the D1SC is rated for 950 and I made exactly that at the flywheel with 15% loss? I'm going to take a look at the bracket and see to make sure I have everything where it needs to be for the belt I'm using.. But as of now I'm happier than a pig in chit and the car scares the living hell out of me.

The car on the same dyno before the blower made 498 now its at 808... 310HP on about 12# of boost at 5600 rpm.... I'm really curious what it will do if I get that figured out and take it up to 6800......

Link to the Dyno video below.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0UZZ..._Spring_Branch

Last edited by Chuck Brigham; 11-01-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Damn, nice setup and awesome numbers it made! I originally was going to do d1sc with a 4l80 but changed my plans last minute to twins.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lsx4thewin
Damn, nice setup and awesome numbers it made! I originally was going to do d1sc with a 4l80 but changed my plans last minute to twins.
I wanted to do Twins, but I cant do without my AC. The guys at huron speed were unreal with the responses as well when i was looking to go that route.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 355 Likes on 260 Posts

I’ve been trying to decide between a 370 or a 408 for my next motor with my D1x. Can you share a picture of the dyno graph? I want to compare it to procharged 370’s and iron 347’s making similar peak numbers to see how they compare.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chuck Brigham
Hey folks... I wanted to give some information on my build so it might help a few others looking at the boards trying to get some information like I did. I've seen countless posts claiming a 408 is far too much motor for a D1SC to make power... I wanted a good fun street car that makes gobs of power early and I think I've got it.

Chris1313 and Nasty performance both helped me out big time with my fuel setup and Bob @ brute speed has been top notch and unreal with the customer support.

The Motor is a 408
Eagle Crank maybe
Compstar rods
Weisco pistons
10.2:1 compression

Heads are Frankenstein LS3 stg1.5
Cam is a 236/246 638/622 114+4 LSA

Fuel system
Chris1313 Dual 450 with pretty much everything plug and play.. This is a quality piece I'd recommend to anyone.
10 Feed
8 Return.

Nasty Performance got me everything I requested and it was as keep it simple stupid as possible. Everything came in clearly marked bags stating what fittings go to what. I'm sure I didn't need to go as big as I did, but it works exactly how I wanted it to.
10 Feed with a Y going split down to an 8 at each rail. I used a magnafuel boost reference fuel pressure regulator that nate also provided. one rail into one side of the regulator and the other side to the other. The return was an 8. This setup was clean and simple and something I could grow into.
Fuel injectors are ID 1000. Originally I planned on running 93 and 50/50 meth/water, but I changed my mind at the last minute.... So I have a never used Alky control kit for sale!
Fuel is E85. I've run tests twice out here and both times it came back at 95% Once was around march and again yesterday. its about 11 miles away so I simply fill up and toss 20 more gallons in the back of the car... eventually i'll get a 55 gallon drum and store it at the house.

Induction System
NW 102 TB
FAST LS3 102 intake

D1SC 3.55 pulley I bought this kit on here and it started off as a 4.63 something pulley, stock J bracket and dual intercoolers.... I literally only have the damn head unit left from the purchase. But I've been able to quickly turn around everything else to others.
Aster Bracket.
51" belt
Procharger FMIC 1300hp version
Big red BOV

Exhaust
Texas speed 1 7/8 Stainless headers
Catless Y from Kooks
Magnaflow catback

Transmission
T56 all the built goodies.....
McLeod Twin disk RXT (Great experience with them too. The clutch was in the car and all kinda burnt up. Sent it off for 400 i believe and i basically got a new one back and it was quick.
Tick master and stock slave.

I'm on the fence here about this. I think my fluid is **** and is burning up a bit. I checked it today and its looking pretty nasty after less than a year and the pedal doesn't feel right.

Differential
Moser 12 bolt
Eaton Posi
Yukon 373 gears

Got it tuned today and the car put down 808/738 No filter and 760/704 with the filter and stock style hat. I have the truck style on the way from Bob. I'll report back and let you guys know if it makes a difference. Either way the power is stupid on the road even with the 315 nt05r out back. The one issue I did have is it made that around 5600 RPM and pretty much flattened out. The tuner mentioned I was at 12PSI and then it dropped to just below 10 for the rest of the pull. Tuner thinks it belt slip, but I dont know.. confused: Power doesn't really fall off flat it just stops making power with a slight dip and i mean slight, but his logging clearly shows I lost 2 lbs of boost for some reason and it was pretty consistent. . Is it a coincidence that the D1SC is rated for 950 and I made exactly that at the flywheel with 15% loss? I'm going to take a look at the bracket and see to make sure I have everything where it needs to be for the belt I'm using.. But as of now I'm happier than a pig in chit and the car scares the living hell out of me.

The car on the same dyno before the blower made 498 now its at 808... 310HP on about 12# of boost at 5600 rpm.... I'm really curious what it will do if I get that figured out and take it up to 6800......

Link to the Dyno video below.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0UZZ..._Spring_Branch

Thanks Chuck, I appreciate it! Great looking F Body!! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-02-2018, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
I’ve been trying to decide between a 370 or a 408 for my next motor with my D1x. Can you share a picture of the dyno graph? I want to compare it to procharged 370’s and iron 347’s making similar peak numbers to see how they compare.
RED is without the filter. After 5600 I lose about 2lbs of boost for some reason... I'll look into that today after work.
BLUE is with the filter.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 355 Likes on 260 Posts

RED is without the filter. After 5600 I lose about 2lbs of boost for some reason... I'll look into that today after work.
BLUE is with the filter.
Thank you for sharing. Love that car. I bet it’s fun on the street!
Old 11-02-2018, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

I wanted to do Twins, but I cant do without my AC. The guys at huron speed were unreal with the responses as well when i was looking to go that route.
Im doing a custom setup and supposedly going to be able to keep ac. We shall see lol
Old 11-03-2018, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

#’s look great !
the red loss of boost looks more like a belt slip to me. It seemed to recover at 6k. Blue shows no sign of boost loss.
As far as power going flat, maybe wheels spinning ? Although both levels area a mirror of each other so whatever dynamic is causing the issue seems to be consistent.

Have fun ! It’s going to be a wild ride on the street. Big cubes & boost ...... cant beat it for the scare factor.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, after expanding the graph I just realized I was looking at the AFR chart .....
holy **** ..... my eyes are going. DONT GET OLD !
Old 11-03-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great build ! similar one going on here with a 390
Old 11-07-2018, 02:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Pretty solid numbers. What are they SAE? How’s the injector duty cycle? I had some ID1300s up to 980 and 90% on e85 before I switched to ID1700s. The D1SC is a badass blower.