Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cheesball meth injection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts
Default Cheesball meth injection?

I'm just sitting here wondering. I have some parts to put a cheesball meth injection together, just for a small squirt. I really dont think i need much for what i want to do, but, i wonder.....am i wasting my time? I plan on hitting the drag strip on the 13th and i wanted to be able to bump the boost a little more if I'm disappointed in my et/mph. Anybody put together a homemade meth kit? what i have is three different nozzles, using my stock reservoir, either my stock washer pump or an add on pump and activate it past 9 or so psi. I had kinda mentioned this a little while back, but didnt really elaborate. I know the washer pumps dont produce much pressure but i'm thinking I really dont need much injected anyways. I only want a max of 12psi boost.Right now, 13 degrees of timing and 9.5-10psi is about my limit on pump gas. OR my other option would be to use a can of boostane.....if that stuff even works? Its all over youtube that it does, but me personally, I've always felt like octane booster was snake oil. what you guys think? cheeseball meth....or snake oil octane booster.....lol
Old 12-31-2018, 05:05 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

You might very well be the most back and forth erratic person in this forum.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JoeNova

lmao. I got a god laugh from that. For some reason I felt like you or ddnspider would say something after posting this. I did take some time to try and find my posts where I had mentioned the meth a few weeks ago. No luck.

I really just wondering if a small shot would do anything at all to prevent detonation or was I wasting my time. I really don’t have it in my budget right now to buy a “real” kit, so I have to half *** it for now. And I was also bored and wanted to shoot the **** with you guys. I enjoy the info I get from you all.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

A poorly controlled shot, is worse than none. IMHO..

Your talking about a couple hundred vs the time effort and money in your engine install..
Old 12-31-2018, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

There are others.

But trying to do water injection with a screenwash pump, is a total waste of time. They cannot flow enough, or create enough pressure to be of any use and that's just the bottom line.

Even if you just do a simple off/on for now, step up and buy a proper pump. In the grand scheme of things they're not expensive.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
There are others.

But trying to do water injection with a screenwash pump, is a total waste of time. They cannot flow enough, or create enough pressure to be of any use and that's just the bottom line.

Even if you just do a simple off/on for now, step up and buy a proper pump. In the grand scheme of things they're not expensive.

ok. Point taken. I’ll just get a proper pump. Sometimes I just need a little reality pimpslap to get me back in line. Sometimes I try to be a cheapass but I needed a little talking out of it.

But really. My wife bought me a can of boostane (I was using her amazon to look at it and she thought I wanted some) does that **** really work? Or snake oil?
Old 12-31-2018, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

Boostane is what, for what ?

If you want a sort of cheap fuel upgrade....simply mixing 20% methanol into your tank is an option, but you will need to retune both fuel and timing to make use of it

But as race fuel etc is also so cheap over there...no doubt you could mix a lot of things together.

But there are places on ebay selling the AEM pump for around $135...that isnt much.

In lieu of a "progressive" controller, you could use your boost controller for a simple off on ( probably via a relay ) and just buy some nylon line, fittings and a nozzle.

Long term I dislike the nylon lines, but they are cheap and easy. Eventually they do leak though, so proper AN fittings and teflon is better, but more expensive.

So you could have something fairly effective for maybe $160 or so
Old 12-31-2018, 06:59 PM
Restricted User

Your washer fluid pump will work if sprayed pre-turbo. It can NOT be sprayed after the turbo.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club

It will spray, but it will simply not spray enough to be of any real use.

Just buy a proper pump. It's something you can buy now, it will work well and should last you a good few years. That is good value.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Your washer fluid pump will work if sprayed pre-turbo. It can NOT be sprayed after the turbo.
the only problem (well I’m thinking it may be a problem) is I have an air to air intercooler. I was reading where it was said that pre turbo works good if you don’t have an intercooler. I have zero experience with any meth injection except I installed a snow kit on my buddy’s diesel. But if you say it’ll work pre turbo, then I take your word to it.

Look my fellas, I’m a broke *** hot rodder on a very limited budget. I do all my own work because of that. My problem, not looking for pity. But what I do try and do is stuff on a budget, with a little both of work sometimes you can make junk work. My ordeal was going to be an experiment, and temporary. My plan was to up the timing only about 2 degrees around 9-10psi....first, while using a small meth shot. See how that goes. If it runs what I want, then good. If not I’ll turn it up to aboit 12, back the timing down a couple degrees and see what it does. I’ll experiment before going to the track of course. But wanted to see which was the better way to get the power out of it. Because I can turn the boost down to about 7 and turn the timing up a few degrees and it “feels” almost as strong as it does at 8-8.5psi.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Boostane is what, for what ?

If you want a sort of cheap fuel upgrade....simply mixing 20% methanol into your tank is an option, but you will need to retune both fuel and timing to make use of it

But as race fuel etc is also so cheap over there...no doubt you could mix a lot of things together.

But there are places on ebay selling the AEM pump for around $135...that isnt much.

In lieu of a "progressive" controller, you could use your boost controller for a simple off on ( probably via a relay ) and just buy some nylon line, fittings and a nozzle.

Long term I dislike the nylon lines, but they are cheap and easy. Eventually they do leak though, so proper AN fittings and teflon is better, but more expensive.

So you could have something fairly effective for maybe $160 or so

boostane is supposed to be a real deal octane booster. It’s like torco. Just wondering if it’s worth using. I don’t have e85 around here and my fuel system would not support it. I’m stuck with meth injection and/or race fuel/ocatane booster.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

I've never really tested octane boosters, some probably do work, they certainly colour everything in the hot side, so they must do something. But that is itself a caveat...many will include lead, which can be detrimental to lambda sensors.

I have used 20% methanol in a few vehicles and that definitely does work, but as said, fuel and timing must be re-tuned as you will need to add fuel.

So really...some sort of octane booster will be your cheapest and quickest option with the least amount of re-tuning, at least in terms of fuel. Should just be a case of some more timing

Impartial or advert ?

There are various videos/tests with different fuels, methanol, water, etc etc too.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:35 PM
9 Second Club

Old 12-31-2018, 07:43 PM
9 Second Club

Old 01-02-2019, 12:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Why not spend a little on a pump that’s up to the task. It’s not a pressure issue, it’s a volume issue. Tiny bit of water/meth pre-turbo is better than none at all IMO. More water in the mix the better with tiny volumes. Straight water on my 2 liter helped quite a bit. Spraying pre-turbo with the OEM washer pump.

A decent high pressure shurflo china clone pump can be had for $30. And a “real” shurflo pump can be had for about $80-100. Could also run multiple washer fluid pumps in parallel. I believe volvos had some of the better ones. Lots of early water injection threads out there if you look around with people doing that.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Why not spend a little on a pump that’s up to the task. It’s not a pressure issue, it’s a volume issue. Tiny bit of water/meth pre-turbo is better than none at all IMO. More water in the mix the better with tiny volumes. Straight water on my 2 liter helped quite a bit. Spraying pre-turbo with the OEM washer pump.

A decent high pressure shurflo china clone pump can be had for $30. And a “real” shurflo pump can be had for about $80-100. Could also run multiple washer fluid pumps in parallel. I believe volvos had some of the better ones. Lots of early water injection threads out there if you look around with people doing that.
Hmmm i'm all about some china stuff lol. mind pointing me in the right direction? what sort of flow would i need?
Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Restricted User

I've tested various washer fluid pumps. Unrestricted, they put out just as much volume as a high pressure pump with a misting nozzle. Unrestricted flow from pump to pump is one thing, but nozzle vs no nozzle is different.
Spraying them pre-turbo rids the need for the nozzle. The vacuum, velocity, and pass through the compressor takes care of any atomization issues.
If you can find room, an OEM Tahoe/Yukon washer bottle works well, as it has two fluid pumps built into it.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 355 Likes on 260 Posts

I’ve used Torco before and hated it. When adding a small can of octane booster to say a half of a tank of gas without a return system how do you know you have a good mix? It also turns plugs and internal parts orangish red. For a one time use it may not be a big deal, but can’t be good for continuous every day use.

I swear by E85 as the best thing going in a boosted street car, but since we’ve established that isn’t an option for you I’ve also made hone made race gas with good results.

Mix toluene or xylene with a little marvel mystery oil in your 93 pump. One gallon of xylene with 3 gallons of 93 pump will give you about 97 octane. I’ve done this with no issues, but again not an every day solution.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Something like this I'd think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-105PSI-...2BR:rk:12:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Pressu...gqE:rk:45:pf:0

I'll second the xylene/toluene... but for the cost you might as well just buy a 5 gallon jug of race fuel and mix/run that.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 355 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Something like this I'd think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-105PSI-...2BR:rk:12:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Pressu...gqE:rk:45:pf:0

I'll second the xylene/toluene... but for the cost you might as well just buy a 5 gallon jug of race fuel and mix/run that.
I agree the home brew isn’t cost effective, but for one track visit it will work.