Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What makes you pick a single or twin setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had both, and prefer twins. The single had a lot of backpressure... however I can't fairly compare because when I changed to twins I also changed from auto to manual. The single with auto would boost from a dig - perfect for a truck. I would think the twins would also boost from a dig with an auto (they're small enough), but never got to try it. Manual and turbos = lag regardless of single or twin if you drive normally then jump on it from lower than boost rpms (ignoring the drag setups).

Both get the job done, it's just preference or budget or what you can physically fit. A single can match the top end of twins or the bottom end (if sized accordingly for one or the other).

Where twins seems to be better is they will normally offer a fatter power curve for the same top end (according to all apples to apples tests I have seen), but no doubt there's exceptions. Logically, less backpressure = free power somewhere
Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
I can cosign this, but don't forget that I am going to GAPTIZE you here in the spring. . This car stuff is just fun guys.....quit being so serious.
What's another year of waiting for you to catch up, lol!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Real world experience is better than some calculations based on hopefully correct info, for the variable that is "optimum"
I don't disagree, but in internet forum world oftentimes the weight of someone's opinion is judged not by the amount of experience, but the number of posts. There's enough info available to do some initial sizing based on online info from the manufacturers and tools like matchbot to at least get you in the ball park.