Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Trying to keep it simple....do i really need a boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonsnova
I totally agree with everyone else if it's a track car and you need to ramp in power for track conditions.
I also agree with others on Holley tunes......they are way off for pump gas.
I guess I'm the opposite, I see the need for a boost controller on the street as much as the track. With the Holley setup you can not only control how much or how little boost you want but you can also control when and how it comes in. The Holley Dominator also allows multiple tunes so you can simply select the tune you want, Your tunes can be the same with changes in boost strategy ( Or anything else you want ) The Holley also allows you to setup safeties that can save your engine where a spring can't. If he chooses not to use the Holley to control boost he still has several safety strategies that can be programmed in that will hopefully save it the next time.

As far as the Holley tunes are concerned they are perfect if you run them on the exact engine they were tuned on, They were never meant to be run as is on any engine, There are to many variables for that. They are there to get you close so that you spend less time setting everything up and more time dialing everything in.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I guess I'm the opposite, I see the need for a boost controller on the street as much as the track. With the Holley setup you can not only control how much or how little boost you want but you can also control when and how it comes in. The Holley Dominator also allows multiple tunes so you can simply select the tune you want, Your tunes can be the same with changes in boost strategy ( Or anything else you want ) The Holley also allows you to setup safeties that can save your engine where a spring can't. If he chooses not to use the Holley to control boost he still has several safety strategies that can be programmed in that will hopefully save it the next time.

As far as the Holley tunes are concerned they are perfect if you run them on the exact engine they were tuned on, They were never meant to be run as is on any engine, There are to many variables for that. They are there to get you close so that you spend less time setting everything up and more time dialing everything in.
^^^This. You won’t have boost creep with a boost controller set up correctly! Plus, take the time or ask for help setting up the safeties (not just overboost). Safeties can be boost vs oil psi, boost vs fuel psi, boost vs AFR, boost vs ethanol content, etc. Well worth it.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

I ran a man.boost controller, I wanted to be able to adjust boost. I had the Holley HP, so
I couldn't run a sol. controller, but I could dial in some safety's if it over boosted.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I ran a man.boost controller, I wanted to be able to adjust boost. I had the Holley HP, so
I couldn't run a sol. controller, but I could dial in some safety's if it over boosted.
The Holley HP runs boost control just fine, use a pwm output to solenoid and your good to go. Not sure why people think the HP is so limited?
Old 01-19-2019, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN

The Holley HP runs boost control just fine, use a pwm output to solenoid and your good to go. Not sure why people think the HP is so limited?
I think he meant he was out of outputs. Ran twin solenoids on my Hp, just had to sacrifice a couple outputs. Now I’ve got the Dominator and I’m outta control!