Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

This would only happen to me.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by panda240ss
what you need is a 12 pack of beer on ice, a good *** speaker and a fan ( unless youre in the cold) and a group of buddies.

thats how i always do it lol.
Have a nice stereo in the garage, and yes, it's cold here (Louisville). I roll alone, so no buddies, learned my lesson on buddies (track friends) last year. I just need a day where I feel good, and go ahead and jump on it. I guess the main part im stuck on is, I need to push the car out of the garage and pull the radiator and water pump. Sounds weird I know, but I like to keep my garage floor clean enough to lay down and work with a white t shirt on, get up and the shirt still be white, hence the pushing the car out for the rad and pump. Another issue is, my lack of desire to turn wrenches anymore, gets worse the older I get. It's not a lack of know how or tools, just zero desire.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,294 Posts

If your like me it will eat at you enough to make you get out there and go fix the damn thing.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I do not feel the need to commend someone for stroking a check. Sure the car may be cool, but the owner doesn't get props.
Exactly. I mean to me it's like who cares? I want so see homebuilt stuff. Something where ya just lay down the checkbook does NOTHING for me personally. I guess because I'm interested in the creative struggle myself, I expect others to be also haha. Also, when stuff is bought and not built, there tends to be this dick measuring contest for the amount of money spent. I know a guy with a 3rd gen LY6 project that has been going on since BEFORE i started to tear into my TBI Silverado and stuff a S475'ed LQ4 into it. Granted the guy has been building the car himself so props for that, but he just opens up a catalog and starts spending money. Just buying stuff and never actually building anything. He's an assembler and not a builder lol.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I know too many men who's wives won't let them out in the garage, force them to go and do **** they don't want. It's not like that here and never will be. Garage, cars, welding, mechanic work, anything, is a man's purpose and it will be respected and valued and passed on to the children.
Oh man the current g/f is like that. She HATES the time I spend in the garage. Well really she just hates any time I am not spending with her. Not a good sign.... I've been thinking about this for a while.

Originally Posted by truckdoug
i came to troll internet expert welders and chew bubblegum

and i'm all out of bubblegum
Daaaammmnnnnn I'm goooood!

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
I prefer to invest in myself through the experience of building our cars. The satisfaction of simply buying things quickly fades after the purchase.
Yup. It's like buying a washing machine or somethin'. MIGHT be a novelty for a while...

Old 02-22-2019, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
Have a nice stereo in the garage, and yes, it's cold here (Louisville). I roll alone, so no buddies, learned my lesson on buddies (track friends) last year. I just need a day where I feel good, and go ahead and jump on it. I guess the main part im stuck on is, I need to push the car out of the garage and pull the radiator and water pump. Sounds weird I know, but I like to keep my garage floor clean enough to lay down and work with a white t shirt on, get up and the shirt still be white, hence the pushing the car out for the rad and pump. Another issue is, my lack of desire to turn wrenches anymore, gets worse the older I get. It's not a lack of know how or tools, just zero desire.
i get cha on that. even though im the opposite of you lol but i do enjoy clean area after everytime i work on the car. shitt even all my tools in the right spot i cant live looking thru a drawer looking for a socket. FML.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
If your like me it will eat at you enough to make you get out there and go fix the damn thing.
I guess you inspired me. Top end is done, only thing left is the bottom end (motor mounts and transmission).

Old 02-23-2019, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

How I hate that power steering bracket eith a passion.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,294 Posts

I guess you inspired me. Top end is done, only thing left is the bottom end (motor mounts and transmission).

Well I'm glad I could help! I'm going on fifty myself and beginning to feel the affects of old father time.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

hell i'm 40 and crawling around under cars is getting harder and harder. making all sorts of funny noises when I go to stand up "uhhhhhhggggggn"

that's part of the tongue in cheek trolling I posted about teaching kids how to weld. I've been in the metal working trades ~25 years now and it's rough on your body!
Old 02-23-2019, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Question. Would you guys pull the motor and transmission down for inspection while they are both out? Debating on whether or not to do so, as neither are showing any signs of wear.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ElQueFør

Oh man the current g/f is like that. She HATES the time I spend in the garage. Well really she just hates any time I am not spending with her. Not a good sign.... I've been thinking about this for a while.

Me and the lady been together for 13 years. We had ONE fight about "cars". I bought what i considered my first real mod about 12 years ago. It was a 3200 torque converter, and it was around $550. She was pissed I spent the money on something she considered so unimportant. My response was simply this "I been playing with cars since i was in Pampers, and I will be playing with them long after yo *** is gone." We have never fought about it since and she never asks what i buy or how much it costs. I was stone cold in my response because I will not budge on my passion for anyone. To show a great turn of events we talked a few days ago and I said ya know if my old dinosaur Miller tig machine ever goes out, I'm going right down and spending $2k on a new one, I can't live without a tig welder again. She said yeah I think you should do that........I guess that's called winning!

To the other friends who's wives/GFs are out of control, I've watched so many passionate car guys move away from the hobby because of their significant other. It's like watching someone you care about slowly die from the inside. Big time sucks to lose great friends because they won't just stand firm on what they believe in. Or maybe Im just an idiot who knows.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Question. Would you guys pull the motor and transmission down for inspection while they are both out? Debating on whether or not to do so, as neither are showing any signs of wear.
No, not unless there is an obvious issue.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

not unless I had a reason. glitter or unknown ticking or consuming oil etc

Old 02-23-2019, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Me and the lady been together for 13 years. We had ONE fight about "cars". I bought what i considered my first real mod about 12 years ago. It was a 3200 torque converter, and it was around $550. She was pissed I spent the money on something she considered so unimportant. My response was simply this "I been playing with cars since i was in Pampers, and I will be playing with them long after yo *** is gone." We have never fought about it since and she never asks what i buy or how much it costs. I was stone cold in my response because I will not budge on my passion for anyone. To show a great turn of events we talked a few days ago and I said ya know if my old dinosaur Miller tig machine ever goes out, I'm going right down and spending $2k on a new one, I can't live without a tig welder again. She said yeah I think you should do that........I guess that's called winning!

To the other friends who's wives/GFs are out of control, I've watched so many passionate car guys move away from the hobby because of their significant other. It's like watching someone you care about slowly die from the inside. Big time sucks to lose great friends because they won't just stand firm on what they believe in. Or maybe Im just an idiot who knows.
I agree with this, as long as she doesn't get any static about buying the hottest new expensive makeup, dress, or whatever it is that she's into. Even if it's just going out with the girls, she needs to have free reign imo (within reason).
Old 02-23-2019, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

My response was simply this "I been playing with cars since i was in Pampers, and I will be playing with them long after yo *** is gone."

get this man a ******* medal. hats off brother!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

This thread has totally jumped ship, lol

You are no idiot my friend. Truer words can not be spoken. Stand for what you believe in or die a hollow man. Makes it easier to sleep at night as well. Possibly alone though, lol

To the OP, no teardowns, send it. It'd be a waste of time and money.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with this, as long as she doesn't get any static about buying the hottest new expensive makeup, dress, or whatever it is that she's into. Even if it's just going out with the girls, she needs to have free reign imo (within reason).
Jesus dude i have the best woman in that regards. She shops at clearance racks, does not value material possessions for herself, her priorities are in our children and being treated right. If I nail those two things I'm golden. She probably wouldnt appreciate things i know better then to do like go to bars, hang out with single friends etc. But I don't do those things so its never an issue.

Originally Posted by truckdoug
get this man a ******* medal. hats off brother!
I remember it like it was yesterday, i couldnt believe i said it afterwards. I realized she could walk out because it was an ultimatum of sorts. I figured oh well if she leaves she aint the right one. I'm glad she stayed though. Example, she just worked a 12 hour overnight shift, came home to two kids claiming sick, fixed breakfast for them, let me sleep in, brought me coffee, washed dishes, and is now folding laundry. Good women are out there gentlemen, don't settle.