Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler options for Drag Only

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 06:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Who says you need to rev an engine to make power ?

If you cant easily make over 1k staying under 7krpm...something is very badly wrong. And he stated he only wants 850hp. So why would he even need to consider 7, 8, 9, 10,000rpm ?
I didnt say you need to rev to make power, just that you can make even more power. Plus some people have gearing constraints or fall into a better part of the powerband revving higher. Just depends really, plus the truck intake is just ugly.

I dont think the OP has a truck intake, it was the other needle dick in the thread. But agree for 850hp damn near anything works.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe A2W has least restriction. I’m runing
a sniper intake as the truck manifold hit the firewall. If I can keep the water at ambient it should outperform air to air. E85 is a pita to get north of the 49th parallel and I don’t want to go methanol or spray it if I don’t have to right now anyway. If the rad idea won’t or doesn’t work I’ll put a cooler in the rear.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Justa6MB

a sniper intake as the truck manifold hit the firewall. If I can keep the water at ambient it should outperform air to air. E85 is a pita to get north of the 49th parallel and I don’t want to go methanol or spray it if I don’t have to right now anyway. If the rad idea won’t or doesn’t work I’ll put a cooler in the rear.

No cooler has the least restriction.

After that, the best designed system has the least restriction.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

What? Why would you even consider a truck manifold in a race car?! (That was sarcasm).

I don't imagine with that set up you are really worried about adding a few pounds. So A2W would work. I am still convinced that the business case would suggest moving away from any heat exchanger/intercooler. Given your (assumed experience) with turbo Buicks, why not run methanol injection? 850hp is very supportable with most commercially available systems.

Think a popular magazine is about to have folks dumping intercoolers for a "free" 44hp.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
This is what I am doing. I don't see the sense in carrying the weight, expense, or restriction of an intercooler.

Is this 91 octane gas or e85? R u spraying boost juice?
Old 02-20-2019, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What? Why would you even consider a truck manifold in a race car?! (That was sarcasm).

I don't imagine with that set up you are really worried about adding a few pounds. So A2W would work. I am still convinced that the business case would suggest moving away from any heat exchanger/intercooler. Given your (assumed experience) with turbo Buicks, why not run methanol injection? 850hp is very supportable with most commercially available systems.

Think a popular magazine is about to have folks dumping intercoolers for a "free" 44hp.
alot of people cant/dont have that these days.....

a famous quote someone told me " common sense just isnt common these days"
Old 02-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

For years I’ve ran 94 and meth on my GN. I’m certainly open to doing that down the road, but to start to be safe I’m planning on just running race fuel. After I see how much boost I need to run to hit my goals I could always add it.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Stonerracing
Is this 91 octane gas or e85? R u spraying boost juice?
Yes to all of the above. This is just an "inexpensive" project. The car is plumbed for E85 with PTFE lines and ethanol-ready parts throughout. We'll get it up and running on Ultra94 - add meth injection; and source a drum of E85 to keep on hand to test with for a future Drag Week campaign.

To Justa6 - dude, race gas will work fine as a baseline without the intercooler. So few folks dip their toes into that stuff any longer for a street car that its practically voodoo. Maybe just mix up some xylene and toluene for old times sake.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes to all of the above. This is just an "inexpensive" project. The car is plumbed for E85 with PTFE lines and ethanol-ready parts throughout. We'll get it up and running on Ultra94 - add meth injection; and source a drum of E85 to keep on hand to test with for a future Drag Week campaign.

To Justa6 - dude, race gas will work fine as a baseline without the intercooler. So few folks dip their toes into that stuff any longer for a street car that its practically voodoo. Maybe just mix up some xylene and toluene for old times sake.

I'm thinking about no intercooler on this one. I was thinking of running 91 with the additive to get it upto 100 octane. Than using meth injection with boost juice. 140000 miles on this 5.3. I never tore it down to gap the rings. Just installed trick flow cam and springs. 15 to 20 lbs i'd like to boost. Some say go for it others think its a bad idea.. Still trying to decide.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stonerracing

I'm thinking about no intercooler on this one. I was thinking of running 91 with the additive to get it upto 100 octane. Than using meth injection with boost juice. 140000 miles on this 5.3. I never tore it down to gap the rings. Just installed trick flow cam and springs. 15 to 20 lbs i'd like to boost. Some say go for it others think its a bad idea.. Still trying to decide.
im in the same boat, a sloppy stage 2 cam ,7875 e85 no ring gap or anything lol
Old 02-21-2019, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

Air to water is the best unless running m1!!!
Old 04-09-2019, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
You could go A2W and not use an intercooler at all..........
Ok digging up my old thread here. Please explain what A2W with no intercooler means??
Old 04-09-2019, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They have some that fit under intake or like the pic above your post . They are a lot smaller but both require a tank and pump . Usually in the trunk
Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would run some type of a tank with the a2w. The more water in the system , the longer it takes to heat up. With just a heat x. Your only talking like 1.5 gallons . You would get a lot cooler temps with an ice tank . Just add ice before each run.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Ok digging up my old thread here. Please explain what A2W with no intercooler means??
I should have said heat exchanger instead of intercooler. On our shop car, TT Coyote, the intercooler is in the lower intake similar to a GT500, craig davis pump(looks like a baby turbo), no heat exchanger up front, big ice box in the back, big lines

I am the first one to say I am surprised how well it works. When we did it I honestly didn't see it working but my boss assured me it would and he was right. It gets driven on the street regularly, he did drag week, won 2nd place in his class 1st time he did it.

IAT's are really good even with just water in the ice box.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

On my 6.0 / whipple. I have a 2 gal tank with an afco heat x with fans . My temps are 25* over ambient. This is on the street . I use 70/30 water/ antifreeze . If it was a track only car , I would just have a bigger tank, no heat x. You can get IAT s really low with ice for short periods of time , but it's all u need.