Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Crank Pinning - Hardest metal on earth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ascastil
Took the sway bar out. Drilled the stock crank in about 2 minutes. Definitely needed my body weight behind behind it. Forearm strength didnt work for me.
It really should not have taken that much effort. Stock crank is very soft metal, but at least it's done.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
It really should not have taken that much effort. Stock crank is very soft metal, but at least it's done.
I agree, but with the lower radiator support and sway bar in, I had little room to work with. My lazy *** took out 6 bolts for the sway bar, wedged myself in there and drilled 2 holes in minutes. I just couldn't get the strength to drill with the swaybar in place. I'm not sure if theres more or less room on an Fbody, bit your right, either way its done. If I woulda took the couple minutes to take out swaybar, it would have been done a few days ago lol. I probably spent more time thinking if I should pull the sway bar than doing it and drilling the holes.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
A proper cobalt bit should go through a steel crank with ease. Proper cobalt bits are expensive though.

And I would disagree about a fast cutting speed. The fast speed of the average cordless drill is plenty fast. You could use a cutting lubricant too...but a cobalt bit shouldnt really need it for this quick/easy job.

HSS drill bits or even just coated drill bits will barely mark the hard steel of a crank.

Yup. Just about everybody uses too much way to much speed. The shavings should come out as a curly q. If you are getting chunks or chips you are going to fast and the bit is not actually cutting/pulling itself into the metal. Its basically just bouncing on top of the metal chipping the metal, not actually cutting it.

People get impatient and think if faster i drill and the harder i push the faster it will go. All your doing is wearing your bit out.