Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley parts

Hey guys, new to the form.
newbie for f/I and had a couple questions hopefully some of ya could answer.
Btw I’m running a 6.0 lq9 with a 80mm vs racing turbo on a 04 Silverado 4 door

1st question, I’m running a Holley hi ram intake, what do I use to get the manifold pressure for the boost controller, looked a lot of places but couldn’t get a straight answer

2nd question, what do I use to run my 3 bar map sensor? Like what fitting do I install in the back of the intake to run it

3rd question, I’m going to run a aem tru boost boost controller, many people have told me I should run a air compressor with it to get a point on reading of the boost, should I run one?

TIA guys🤙🏻🤙🏻
Old 06-11-2019, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The easiest thing to do is run a vacuum manifold. Gives you several ports for you boost controller, fuel pressure regulator, etc...

Depending on what map sensor you have, you can run it off of the aforementioned vacuum manifold. What one are you using?

I run the AEM Truboost and it works great for me. No air compressor. Not sure what you would need one for???

There are tons of vacuum logs out there. Here is a cheap option that lots of guys use:

https://images.app.goo.gl/gg6BSRnzebi1uaqC9
Old 06-11-2019, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemans1
The easiest thing to do is run a vacuum manifold. Gives you several ports for you boost controller, fuel pressure regulator, etc...

Depending on what map sensor you have, you can run it off of the aforementioned vacuum manifold. What one are you using?

I run the AEM Truboost and it works great for me. No air compressor. Not sure what you would need one for???

There are tons of vacuum logs out there. Here is a cheap option that lots of guys use:

https://images.app.goo.gl/gg6BSRnzebi1uaqC9
But with the block, where would I run the the vacuum supply to it? Like the main supply to the main ports.

and I’m going to be running this style 3 bar map sensor
https://www.amazon.com/Style-Sensor-Electromotive-Motec-Megasquirt/dp/B072YNNTC5/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=3+bar+map+sensor&qid=1560254352&s=gateway&sprefix=3+bar+m&sr=8-8 https://www.amazon.com/Style-Sensor-Electromotive-Motec-Megasquirt/dp/B072YNNTC5/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=3+bar+map+sensor&qid=1560254352&s=gateway&sprefix=3+bar+m&sr=8-8
Old 06-11-2019, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 702 Likes on 364 Posts

The Hi Ram is setup to run a LS3 style MAF. Why not run a ZR1 MAF?

IIRC, the brake booster hose is 3.8"? Find a Tee that's 3/8"x3/8"/1/4" or whatever size you need to run.

3rd option would be to drill and tap the manifold.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

1st question, I’m running a Holley hi ram intake, what do I use to get the manifold pressure for the boost controller, looked a lot of places but couldn’t get a straight answer. I would get your reference for the boost controller from the compressor housing on the turbo.

2nd question, what do I use to run my 3 bar map sensor? Like what fitting do I install in the back of the intake to run it With the brick style map sensor, you'll need a barbed fitting to attach a hose to, so you can connect it to the map. A ZR1 3 bar map would be a cleaner install.

3rd question, I’m going to run a aem tru boost boost controller, many people have told me I should run a air compressor with it to get a point on reading of the boost, should I run one? I use an onboard air system on my car for boost control, but it's not necessary.

I just finished a turbo setup on my 05 Silverado:

Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jayyyw
The Hi Ram is setup to run a LS3 style MAF. Why not run a ZR1 MAF?

IIRC, the brake booster hose is 3.8"? Find a Tee that's 3/8"x3/8"/1/4" or whatever size you need to run.

3rd option would be to drill and tap the manifold.
Well a lot of parts where given to me by my brother, but yeah I’m already looking into buying a zr1 map, would it be a direct fit to the port in the back of the intake?
Old 06-11-2019, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What was said above.. from the turbo compressor housing to the boost controller. However, the hi-ram has 1/8th ports in the back (at least mine does) that are accessible for vacuum. Should be two right next to where the MAT screws in.

I use a GM 12592525 map sensor. Again there's a hole and bolt location for it in the back near the bottom.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 702 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by TLCPSilver06
Well a lot of parts where given to me by my brother, but yeah I’m already looking into buying a zr1 map, would it be a direct fit to the port in the back of the intake?
Yes, fits perfect.

I grab my boost reference for the controller from the intake manifold. This lets you account for pressure drop through the system.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Yes, fits perfect.

I grab my boost reference for the controller from the intake manifold. This lets you account for pressure drop through the system.
So basically ima do the vacuum block, should I get the boost reference for the controller from there?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 408GT
Welcome to the forum.

1st question, I’m running a Holley hi ram intake, what do I use to get the manifold pressure for the boost controller, looked a lot of places but couldn’t get a straight answer. I would get your reference for the boost controller from the compressor housing on the turbo.

2nd question, what do I use to run my 3 bar map sensor? Like what fitting do I install in the back of the intake to run it With the brick style map sensor, you'll need a barbed fitting to attach a hose to, so you can connect it to the map. A ZR1 3 bar map would be a cleaner install.

3rd question, I’m going to run a aem tru boost boost controller, many people have told me I should run a air compressor with it to get a point on reading of the boost, should I run one? I use an onboard air system on my car for boost control, but it's not necessary.

I just finished a turbo setup on my 05 Silverado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35jkSYvYT38
So if I don’t run a air compressor, I should still get on point psi readings?

as of the map sensor, I’m still debating if to get the 3 bar since this basically is a budget build and the brick style was for free, but I really am trying to keep the cleanliness in the engine bay, so I’m probably going to go that route, now would it connect straight to the stock map sensor connector or would I have to cut and re pin it? It’s a 04 Silverado.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:27 AM
On The Tree

So basically ima do the vacuum block, should I get the boost reference for the controller from there?
Yes, the controller should get its reference from the vacuum block. The solenoid should be fed by the compressor housing.

as of the map sensor, I’m still debating if to get the 3 bar since this basically is a budget build and the brick style was for free, but I really am trying to keep the cleanliness in the engine bay, so I’m probably going to go that route, now would it connect straight to the stock map sensor connector or would I have to cut and re pin it? It’s a 04 Silverado.
Yes, the psi readings are accurate from the Truboost. It has always matched my other gauges and I run no other air source.

No, the mentioned 3 bar sensor, 12592525, will not plug into your harness, you will need an LS3 style plug and adapt it. You can buy LS1 style 3 bars from vendors that will plug in, but i dont know if it will fit the hole on your intake. The LS3 map uses a larger hole.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

You would be fine just running your boost reference to the compressor on the turbo.

I have the brick 3 bar on my truck, you'll have to cut the wires and change the connector. My truck is an 05 Silverado.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

You would be fine just running your boost reference to the compressor on the turbo.

I have the brick 3 bar on my truck, you'll have to cut the wires and change the connector. My truck is an 05 Silverado.
Yes, it will work referencing your boost to the turbo, but at the manifold is more accurate. That is what the engine is actually seeing. You lose boost through your intercooler and charge pipes. Boost at the turbo housing may be 10lbs, but at the manifold could only be 8 or less depending on your setup.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Yes, it will work referencing your boost to the turbo, but at the manifold is more accurate. That is what the engine is actually seeing. You lose boost through your intercooler and charge pipes. Boost at the turbo housing may be 10lbs, but at the manifold could only be 8 or less depending on your setup.
More accurate than what? If I'm using the reference from the turbo for my boost controller, I want the higher pressure from the turbo, not w/ all of the pressure drops of the cold side. If I'm using it as a reference for the boost gauge, then yes, I'll use from the manifold.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

More accurate than what? If I'm using the reference from the turbo for my boost controller, I want the higher pressure from the turbo, not w/ all of the pressure drops of the cold side. If I'm using it as a reference for the boost gauge, then yes, I'll use from the manifold.
Maybe we've just got a misunderstanding. Hes using an AEM Truboost, his controller is his gauge. It needs two lines. One to feed the gauge/controller and one to feed the solenoid. I stated that his controller should be hooked up to manifold and the solenoid to the turbo housing. To me the boost reference is the line to the gauge/controller. The solenoid could be run from CO2 or an air compressor, it doesn't need to actually see "boost" at all, just a pressure source.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe we've just got a misunderstanding. Hes using an AEM Truboost, his controller is his gauge. It needs two lines. One to feed the gauge/controller and one to feed the solenoid. I stated that his controller should be hooked up to manifold and the solenoid to the turbo housing. To me the boost reference is the line to the gauge/controller. The solenoid could be run from CO2 or an air compressor, it doesn't need to actually see "boost" at all, just a pressure source.
I have never used a truboost, but it sounds like we're talking about the same thing. I have a holley dominator and use my onboard air to dual solenoids to regulate boost.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Well I got my vacuum block in, plus I ordered 15’ of 1/4” vacuum air line with 1/8 npt to 1/4” quick connect, hopefully it makes everything look more clean