Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How In The F Do You Hook Up A 2step

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default How In The F Do You Hook Up A 2step

thats all i want to know. the directions are for some one who understands circuitry and i dont. so do i use the cruise controll switch or the clutch start switch? the clutch start switch only has power when you try to turn the engine over and the others only have power when the clutch is up. i assumed according to the directions that all those wires are grounds but i dont understand how it works. is it a ground then turns into a power or visa versa, some one please let me know asap
Old 07-13-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KAOS
thats all i want to know. the directions are for some one who understands circuitry and i dont. so do i use the cruise controll switch or the clutch start switch? the clutch start switch only has power when you try to turn the engine over and the others only have power when the clutch is up. i assumed according to the directions that all those wires are grounds but i dont understand how it works. is it a ground then turns into a power or visa versa, some one please let me know asap
on a 99 you can tap directly into the clutch switch at the top of the pedal.

The 98's are not wired the same, so you can't use the factory switch.

White wire needs to see ground when you want the 2 step on, so a momentary switch to ground is what you want.

The gray wire needs to see ground when the clutch is NOT pressed, and left floating when it is pressed.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

define momentary, so will it see power then when it is not grounded? and is the yellow wire a ground or power coming from the box. are you saying i cant use the clutch pedal at all. i am on a 98 formula and cant figure it out
Old 07-13-2004, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

keep at it...you will love it! Harlan, you still making those? I need to order another one.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

but does he mean i have to rig up a switch like on a nitrous set up or is there something on the car. the switch on the bottom is alway a ground except when you try to turn the motor over. would this surege of juice hurt if the 2 step was on. the problem is i cant start the car to see if the switch on the bottom gets juice with the car running
Old 07-13-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2khawk
on a 99 you can tap directly into the clutch switch at the top of the pedal.

The 98's are not wired the same, so you can't use the factory switch.

White wire needs to see ground when you want the 2 step on, so a momentary switch to ground is what you want.

The gray wire needs to see ground when the clutch is NOT pressed, and left floating when it is pressed.
so is the gray wire for the "stutter" and the white wire is just an on/off switch now is the yellow one a power or ground
Old 07-13-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

The white wire is used to enable/disable the stutter.

The gray wire is used to LATCH the stutter on.

by momentary i mean, you push the button and make a connection, let go at the connection is removed.

As long as the gray wire sees ground, the white wire will turn the stutter on and off. If you remove the ground from the gray wire, the stutter will stay on if you push the button connected to the white wire. It will stay on until you reapply the ground to the gray wire, or press the button on the white wire again.

You can connect either the white or gray to 12V with no ill effects.

The yellow wire will provide a ground when the stutter is enabled, even if you aren't actually at the stutter RPM yet.

I'm in Denver this week for work, so my internet is semi limited. That should get you started at least. I'm on the road most of next week, so internet will be non-existant. End of next week, in Phoenix and back online.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont get it. so the clutch means nothing? i took it that the clutch when grounded disengages the stutter and lets you take off/launch. here is what i want it to do: be able to turn the 2 step on and off with a toggle. then be able to turn it on, stage, push in the clutch, dump the clutch and let it go. if you can do all of this with one wire, why the 3 wire set up. if you can hook it up with just the white wire what the gray one for? now understand when it comes to knowing how this thing works i am dumb as a box of rocks and when it comes to electrical terminology color me dumb b/c in know nothing.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

So Daniel will need a SPST Momentary switch hooked up at the base of the clutch pedal so that when the clutch is depressed the switch closes the circuit to the ground. Also, when the clutch is in it's normal position the circuit to ground is open on the white wire, correct? This could be done with a nitrous WOT switch.

The gray wire can then go on to one pole of an on/off toggle switch and the other pole goes to a ground this way he can latch the the Two Step to an "Armed" position, correct?

Then the yellow wire should power an "indicator" light so that he knows the Two Step is armed.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:16 AM
The Bull

It takes three wires to get all the behavior you are looking for, but you have to disarm the device during your run. Otherwise when you push the clutch in and speed shift above the two step upper limit, guess what is going to happen? You're going to stutter it through your shift.

This really is not that complicated to imagine. Look at it this way, you need to mount a button somewhere close to the console. All you are going to do is treat it like a trans brake or the toggle switch that you wanted. You can put it either by the TCS switch or on your shifter. When you roll into the beams, you push the clutch all the way down and just push the button and release. The two step will be armed at that point until you let the clutch up.

For those that like to let up on the clutch a bit at the line you can join two wires together through the switch. The difference here is that you must hold the switch down the entire time to keep the two step armed.

That extra wire is also used for automatic cars that do not have a clutch switch. You can wire that into the transbrake and have the ability to use a 2 step as well.

The clutch switch already is built in. You just need to splice the grey wire into the PCM wire that Harlan describes in his instructions. You can wire it into a toggle switch if you want as well. I found it nicer to just have the one momentary button do the job though.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

the way i take it is that the gray wire needs to be grounded when the when the clutch is at the top of its movement the white wire is what you can toggle. thats what i take from harlens first post. so the gray wire is open when the clutch is down and closed when it is up. also as long as you dont fall be low that certain rpm the car should not stutter. at least that is the way i see it.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:49 AM
The Bull

No, it's fall above. If the stutter is set to 5000 RPM and you shift at 6000 RPM, you are going to stutter if you wire it on all the time. That's why you use a button in conjunction with the clutch switch. The switch itself is not smart enough to know when to be arming the two-step during the run.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

How about a 98 with a FAST standalone?
Old 07-14-2004, 11:53 AM
The Bull

Wire it into your transbrake instead. Or wire it like a transbrake if you intend on foot braking the car.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

on the 98's you can't use the factory clutch switch cause it's not there.

as long as the coils are using the factory 7 way connectors on each back, you can use the 2 step. It'll play nice when using an eDist.

CASE 1
The easiest way to think about it is the NON-clutch setup.

You ground the gray wire permenantly in that setup.

Set the RPM you want to hold the engine at. Ground the white wire with your push button, and hold the button.

if the engine RPM is BELOW your setting, nothing happens. Engine runs as normal. If you give it some throttle, or even just go to WOT, and the engine RPM begins to exceed your setting, the 2 step begins to drop the spark signals to the coils.

If you continue to keep the RPM up with the throttle, and release the button you've been holding all along, the engine will return to full power as soon as you release the button.

CASE 2
The issue becomes, how do you time the button release and releasing the clutch?

That's what the gray wire is for.

If you have a switch on the pedal, preferably at the TOP of pedal travel, all you have to do is release the clutch, close that switch, and the 2 step turns off.

the procedure for that is similar to the one above, but you don't press and hold your button. As long as the clutch is pressed when you press the button, you can release the button and the 2 step will stay on as long as you have the clutch in.

Last edited by y2khawk; 07-14-2004 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

you just said to ground the gray wire permanently then later on you said hook it up to a switch? do you mean the white wire permanently then the gray wire at the TOP of the clutch with a switch that way there is a ground when the clutch is NOT being pressed? so do i have to turn the 2 step off while going down the track? its for a turbo car and now power shifting involved. here is what i think i should do, let me know if i am wrong. hook the white wire up to a toggle, take the gray wire and give it like a button at the TOP of the clutch pedal. that way when the clutch is up the 2 step is off/ closing the circuit and when it is down/open circuit then i can stage and launch?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

KAOS, buy this: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...OS-15651&N=120 301174

You ground the gray wire permenantly in that setup.

Wire the white wire to one pole of the momentary switch and the other pole directly to a ground.

This will allow you to pull up to the beams, push in the clutch, push and hold the momentary switch, bring the RPMs up to your desire, when the light's go green, let go of the button and hold the **** on
Old 07-14-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

I just make my previous post a little clearer.

don't use a toggle switch for the white wire. use a button, trust me it'll make you life easier.

you're close on what you wanna do.

get something similar to a WOT switch for a nitrous setup, and mount it to the clutch pedal bracket so the micro switch is pressed when the clutch pedal is up, and is released when you push in the clutch.

connect the COMMON (COM) terminal on the microswitch to ground. Connect the gray wire of the 2 step to the N.O. terminal on the switch.

Get a push button, the kind that closes when you push it, and opens when you let go. Connect one side of the button to ground and the other side to the white wire of the 2 step.

Plug in the connectors. Set the RPM you want to launch at on the 2 step *****.

stage/launch procedure is as follows:
do your burnout...
roll up to the lights holding down the button on the white wire
pre-stage
full stage
clutch all the way in, gas to the floor, let go of the button.
2 step will hold the RPM as long as you have the clutch pressed in.
dump the clutch to launch as you normally would.

once you launch, the 2 step will stay off as long as you don't press the button on the white wire.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just make my previous post a little clearer.

don't use a toggle switch for the white wire. use a button, trust me it'll make you life easier.

you're close on what you wanna do.

get something similar to a WOT switch for a nitrous setup, and mount it to the clutch pedal bracket so the micro switch is pressed when the clutch pedal is up, and is released when you push in the clutch.

connect the COMMON (COM) terminal on the microswitch to ground. Connect the gray wire of the 2 step to the N.O. terminal on the switch.

Get a push button, the kind that closes when you push it, and opens when you let go. Connect one side of the button to ground and the other side to the white wire of the 2 step.

Plug in the connectors. Set the RPM you want to launch at on the 2 step *****.

stage/launch procedure is as follows:
do your burnout...
roll up to the lights holding down the button on the white wire
pre-stage
full stage
clutch all the way in, gas to the floor, let go of the button.
2 step will hold the RPM as long as you have the clutch pressed in.
dump the clutch to launch as you normally would.

once you launch, the 2 step will stay off as long as you don't press the button on the white wire.
Ok, I fully understand that and it's MUCH better that way, IMO.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool i got, think i can get it takn care of

Quick Reply: How In The F Do You Hook Up A 2step