Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 05:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 379 Likes on 277 Posts

Default For the sbe warriors

Old 09-12-2019, 06:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I dunno man, I think the motor would have been fine, had the thing not been on the rev limiter for 6 days. And that is precisely why this motor came apart.....I'm convinced of it. Which brings me to the next point, NEVER let people drive your car, this Cameron guy is a prime example of what happens when you break this rule. I always cringe when people seem to think it's cool to bump against the limiter, they don't seem to realize how hard that is on the timing chain.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

He completely torched the head gasket on the same cylinder than let go. Rod was definitely bent when he fixed the gasket and put it all back together.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:08 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah it can't be a coincidence that its on the same cylinder that the gasket blew out of.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

last pic lol damn Cleeter McSkeeter the Ringland Yeeter from St Peter put a tune in it
Old 09-12-2019, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd never let someone drive my car that tries to stage with the rear wheels.........
The following users liked this post:
KCS (09-13-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

to be fair, cameron couldn't see over the wheel really
not sure (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

I can see why you guys say what you say, about the gasket issue/hurt rod. But I believe if that had been the issue, it would have manifested itself before now...in some way/fashion. Motors with hurt rods usually sound funny. Only an opinion of course, but I think that chain came apart first, then wrecked the motor afterwards. Hate that the man wasted 26hrs worth of driving, only to have this happen. I mean, didn't even get to make ONE hit. It's not even my car, and i was LIVID when I watched the in car footage, hopefully matt learns from this.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
I can see why you guys say what you say, about the gasket issue/hurt rod. But I believe if that had been the issue, it would have manifested itself before now...in some way/fashion. Motors with hurt rods usually sound funny. Only an opinion of course, but I think that chain came apart first, then wrecked the motor afterwards. Hate that the man wasted 26hrs worth of driving, only to have this happen. I mean, didn't even get to make ONE hit. It's not even my car, and i was LIVID when I watched the in car footage, hopefully matt learns from this.
At least he had the diaper and safety squared away so no one got hurt and minimized the down time at the track. The increased number of people trying to go fast with junk parts causing down time at the track had made drag racing less enjoyable for me. Last time I went I spent 5 hours to get 2 passes. Some of that was in line at tech and stuff, but still waiting on clean up sucks.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
At least he had the diaper and safety squared away so no one got hurt and minimized the down time at the track. The increased number of people trying to go fast with junk parts causing down time at the track had made drag racing less enjoyable for me. Last time I went I spent 5 hours to get 2 passes. Some of that was in line at tech and stuff, but still waiting on clean up sucks.
Agreed. And to be clear, when I say I hope he learned from this, I'm talking about letting others drive his rig. What happened, was absolutely uncalled for.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude didn't even bother reaching for second gear. Seems like he forgot it was a manual valve body?
Old 09-12-2019, 03:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Easy to criticize others...**** happens, nobody is perfect. I’m excited to see what happens with the gen 4 internals. Love the build ! Keep at it Matt.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine has spent slot of time bouncing on the limiter, tuning shift points and rev limiters and just doing burnouts. Hasn't seemed to care one bit. I think it was just a hurt motor.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 68roadrunner
Easy to criticize others...**** happens, nobody is perfect. I’m excited to see what happens with the gen 4 internals. Love the build ! Keep at it Matt.
I didn't share his video as a form of criticism, but only to start a discussion. There are more posts on this site about sbe builds than any other. It's often when things don't go as planned that we learn more. Regardless of the out come there is a lot to be learned from that youtube channel. It is also important to be realistic that as popular as sbe's are on this forum they aren't all like the ones that last 100,000 miles at the 1000 rwhp level with thousands of track passes on them as well that a few promote on this site. Some go boom immediately for various reasons and it's not always the tune.

The big take away here was that safety was in place. Nothing is infallible $15,000+ built LS long blocks go boom some times too. I've seen more and more people trying to compete with junk parts locally making oil downs more and more common. Cars are so fast now and with forced induction almost too easy so people see a guy on youtube do it and they think yes I can compete with the big boys to. Then they oil down the track at a minimum or worse wreck the car because of broken parts. **** happens, but when you have 5 different oil downs on a test and tune with a few of them being severe taking over an hour to clean up it ruins it for everyone.

I'm on sbe myself, but it's only because it was the motor already in the car and I'm only around 600 rwhp. I plan to go with a built short block before pushing it much further, but may just drive it another year as it is since it runs so well. It all depends upon how long my patience lasts at this level because I do want to go faster.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

Camron races his car alot. Maybe some of these guys throwing stones swap from car to car to car, but most don't. Going from a fully automatic D3 brake car to a manual VB or Reverse VB D1 brake is enough to throw anyone for a loop, let alone, hey jump in this car you know NOTHING about, and by the way, maybe make a single digit pass even if your completely uncomfortable in it.

IMO< it was a good effort from a guy who makes more passes than Matt. Mark was getting ready for Drag Week or I am sure he would have. I also agree with the fact it was probably hurt before the pass. What do you want from a Gen III 4.8 @ 25psi?

Good on ya Matt!!! Wish I had known you were down there, but due to circumstances, I did not or I would have at least said Hi. Maybe next year you can open a booth and sell sloppy socks or something....hell the line was LONG for Cleatus..........REAL LONG ......for a sombrero with the American flag under it????
Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah thats exactly what happened cam is so used to his car and his set up...forgot it was MVB th400

**** i cant even imagine trying to stage and race someone elses car...lol i can barely do my own after lots of practice
The BallSS (09-13-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 10:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug
yeah thats exactly what happened cam is so used to his car and his set up...forgot it was MVB th400

**** i cant even imagine trying to stage and race someone elses car...lol i can barely do my own after lots of practice
Lol ! Agreed
Old 09-13-2019, 01:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Poor guy spends a ton of time just wasting parts. Seems like Gen 3 problems all around, Gen 4 stuff wouldn't have cared about that power level in the first place. Should have done that from the beginning instead of wasting 40+ hours on a junk gen 3 with stock gaskets. I also wouldn't have given the gen3 25PSI, that was just beggin for it to blowup and he got what he wanted. But I guess he gives the people what they want to see, people apparently like watching engines blowup.

As far as driving cars, its not out of the ordinary for me to drive 4+ cars during a track day. I jump from a manual car to a 6L80 to a TH400, etc just takes paying attention to what your doing.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Poor guy spends a ton of time just wasting parts. Seems like Gen 3 problems all around, Gen 4 stuff wouldn't have cared about that power level in the first place. Should have done that from the beginning instead of wasting 40+ hours on a junk gen 3 with stock gaskets. I also wouldn't have given the gen3 25PSI, that was just beggin for it to blowup and he got what he wanted. But I guess he gives the people what they want to see, people apparently like watching engines blowup.

As far as driving cars, its not out of the ordinary for me to drive 4+ cars during a track day. I jump from a manual car to a 6L80 to a TH400, etc just takes paying attention to what your doing.
Even i had to shake my head at the paper gaskets. And I absolutely agree about the paying attention part. Before I built the rmvb 400 in my car, I had never even driven a car with a rmvb beforehand, all were self shift. Have never once forgot to shift, even when making a hit on the first day with it. Not being able to see over the steering wheel, combined with not being aware of what he's driving, is a recipe for either a wrecked car, or a wrecked motor. Luckily it was just a wrecked motor, although the car and the motor would cost you about the same either way. But hey, not my car or money, oh well.

Last edited by Game ova; 09-13-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

some men just want to watch the world burn

Quick Reply: For the sbe warriors