Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Derale 16925s ftw.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have this kit. I was able to keep my fuse box in the same spot just had to modify the plastic piece that secured them to the fender
Old 01-02-2020, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kgtp
I also have this kit. I was able to keep my fuse box in the same spot just had to modify the plastic piece that secured them to the fender
There was no way mine was going to stay put. I cut the "holder" in half, pretty much, and that's as far as that has went so far, lol.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you think you will have any issues with the fans mounted to the radiator? Have read some people say the fans eventually rip through the radiator..

Thinking about maybe doing the same thing or rig something up as I tossed my fan shroud years ago after I torn original motor apart and not sure I want to spend money at the junkyard for one or want one anyhow since I’m going electric water pump and a blower again.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SCLT1
Do you think you will have any issues with the fans mounted to the radiator? Have read some people say the fans eventually rip through the radiator..

Thinking about maybe doing the same thing or rig something up as I tossed my fan shroud years ago after I torn original motor apart and not sure I want to spend money at the junkyard for one or want one anyhow since I’m going electric water pump and a blower again.
Well, I sure hope not, lol. But you never know.
When testing them out, using my HPTuners, I manually controlled both fans, low and high, and they run surprisingly smooth, and feel like they move a bit more air than the factory ones...also with no shaking or vibrations. I now have 3 full sets of factory F body fans, so may try to modify one shroud, to be mounted on the front of that radiator. I "think" there's enough space to fit one, but maybe not a way to cost effectively mount the new fans to them. It's be awesome to be able to get the factory fans to reverse (push instead of pull), since I'd definitely have more faith in the factory fans than ANY aftermarket electric ones.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

If your just using it for the track should be okay. Mine will just be a weekend warrior once in awhile so I would come across bumpy road eventually.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SCLT1
If your just using it for the track should be okay. Mine will just be a weekend warrior once in awhile so I would come across bumpy road eventually.
I'd love to actually DRIVE mine more...just never seem to find, or make, the time. I store it at my workplace, so use it for the occasional parts run, or drive it home every now and again. I'll keep an eye on them.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Cool keep us updated.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Update....

Wastegate spring was supposed to be a 8#, but I couldn't get it below 14+

Since the instructions are lacking in any sort of updated info whatsoever, I found out by accident that the wastegate had 2 lower ports, DOH!

Pressure to open gate simply bypassed the diaphragm and blew out open 2nd port hole...now "fixed"

Injector Duty Cycle was 170% with that much boost (quickly above 80% IDC at about 10# or more) with E85 and my 60# injectors...

99% sure the POS Aeromotive Stealth primary pump crapped out again, (actually think it's an Amazon fake Aeromotive part) so I ordered 2 new AEM (E85 pumps), and a set of Snake Eater Performance 1000cc (96# @ 43 psi) injectors.
Should all be here Monday.

Also scored a complete, ready to bolt in, Strange Aluminum 9" center section yesterday to make life a little easier when I swap gears in the next week or two.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Well, Saturday was spent buttoning up the 9" rear (Strange aluminum center section swap), and I decided to go forward with my return line/1:1 regulator off the rail. Local speed shop had everything but the schrader test port fitting -4 to -6 adapter, and the -6 to efi quick disconnect adapter for the rear part of the line. I basically did everything but those 2 connections, and waited until yesterday for the last fittings to arrive. Oh, also finished my cutout...which is just behind the starter. Running through the Jeg's catback, I love the way it sounds, and is almost too quiet, but figure the cutout should help power, down the road...I also have a filter on the turbo, and plan to keep it there unless I am at the track.

Haven't been able to drive it since I had swapped to two new AEM 340lph E-85 pumps (one primary, and one on 4psi Hobbs switch), and a set of the Snake Eater Performance 96# (1000cc) injectors. Both of those changes were done prior to return line setup being finished yesterday...maybe 2 weeks ago?

Finally got to drive the car yesterday...

With only 6# boost, the old Aeromotive Stealth 340 and 60# SD injectors were logging anywhere from 150%, to as high as 207% with 10# boost, on quick throttle blips...yikes...

Yesterday, with 6#, the highest I ever saw was steady 42%, with a quick poor tune (way rich VE setting) max of 50.2% once.
The car, with the 60#ers, was dialed in pretty well, OFF BOOST, but evidently my suspicions were correct about the Aeromotive pump. Had one that couldn't keep up on my old Chevelle, and forgot about that, and bought this one...JUNK.....

Anyway, with return line plumbed to fuel rail test port, 1:1 regulator right there, and boost reference 6" away from source, instead of 6 FEET away, the new pumps and new injectors needed a TON of fuel subtraction anywhere under any sort of boost.

First log needed as high as 17% fuel subtracted under lower boost...engine was actually misfiring it was so fat...
2nd log needed 5-8% and 15+ % at slightly more boost.
3rd, maybe 5% average, but car was finally able to rev...

Still need a bunch more datalogging and VE tuning done, but getting there...

Once I am comfortable with my AFR ERROR % at 6psi, then I'll slowly add more and more boost, to my 15# self induced limit, and hope for the best, lol.

Since the rear gears are different than last year, I need to get the shift points dialed back in as well. The HPTuners "tire/gear wizard" made it too high, so I will get that taken care of ASAP...

Old 08-14-2020, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Nothing happening today at the shop, so figured I'd give a 6+ month later update...

Since last post, above....
  • I removed the On3 70mm turbo, and swapped on a VS Racing 78/75 cast wheel turbo. (made slight lag, but much more mid/top end power)
  • Made dozens of datalogs and street tuned the car to where I felt comfortable with it's tune. (within a few % AFR error at most any rpm/load)
  • Replaced the On3 manual air regulator boost controller with a TurboSmart E-Boost Street electronic one (has 2 boost levels, low one I use as wastegate boost, high one I use as a scramble function when bracket racing, works great)
  • Finally got to the dragstrip, in late May. First actual Test & Tune was May 30, 2020
    1st pass, left from an idle, on no boost/footbraked, boost on wastegate (4-5#) and went 11.47@127
    2nd pass, left at just shy of 4#, on 13.5# boost, and went 10.34@135
    3rd pass, decided I was going to not worry about the lights, turned boost up to 15-16#, and try to make a good pass...
    Went 9.94@138, (on it's 3rd pass on this new combo) then hotlapped to a 10.02@137, still with only 4-5# of boost on launch, @3000 rpm. Left the track very pleased, and 100% certain it'll go a bit quicker when boost weather returns, lol.
  • Datalogs showed near 90% duty cycle, so decided to do a fuel AND TURBO upgrade...again!
  • Swapped in a CHRS1313 dual 450lph pump & harness setup, -8 PTFE feed, split to Holley rails, -6 PTFE return after Aeromotive boost sensitive regulator. (this is "mostly" a pump E-85 car)
  • Also swapped to a VS Racing Gen 2 Billet 78/75 turbo, which seemed to make power quicker and did. (car actually goes 2-3/10ths quicker, and 2 mph faster, on wastegate now, compared to the cast version, even in the Summer heat.) My car has no rollbar, so now I am having issues staying slower than 11.50 when bracket racing...and this is leaving from a footbraked idle, on wastegate boost, and letting the car automatically shift nearly 1000 rpms sooner than if I manually shift it. I use the "scramble" button, as a handheld button, at the end of the track, if needed...(bracket racing)
  • Have actually had decent results bracket racing, which I didn't think possible with a 4000# turbo car, but as of last month (monthly race), was in 9th place out of 55 cars, and went to semi-finals last week, so "should" be a spot or two closer to the top now.
  • The next day...my stock replacement harmonic balancer exploded/imploded, whatever, and I am now in the process of repairing that episode, lol.
  • Stay Tuned...

Quick Reply: ON3 Install...STS based Rear mount to N20 to ON3 Front Mount