Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Possible using OE manifolds on Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 11:19 PM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Possible using OE manifolds on Silverado

I was thinking about when we build the turbo kit for my Silverado using stock manifolds from some chassis or another. Forged 5.3 bored to 5.7 S476 or S480. Who here has used OE manifolds and got each cylinder close in length? I'm leaning towards 2 wastegates the S476 or S480 with a LJMS Stage 2 with CNC 317s and a Shearer or Holley Hi Ram with 417 IC so response time in minimal. The exhaust housing will be divorced, the wastegates recirculated into the downpipe, a stock 4" Duramax exhaust all the way to the bumper no muffler. BOV on the charge pipe to the throttle body. I had between 9.5-10.1 CR E85 and meth, 4L80E with 3000-3400 stall billet TC with 3.42 gears in the 14 bolt 6 lug on a 28" tall tire. If theh aren't enough after collecting data zi might change the gearing. I'd like to see 800- 950whp. Does the build so far sound feasible for my goals and what OE manifolds should I consider? I kicked around the idea ot a passenger truck manifold flipped with the pipe running along the bottom of the core support then up into the flange. And either another passenger side truck manifold that made a 180° at the firewall a d ran along top of the frame to the flange, or C6 manifolds, or aftermarket turbo headers and have the drivers side cross in front of the water pump to the flange and the passenger side go right towards the driverside then another 180 back to the flange. I hope it made sense and if anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

PS I've also considered C6Z but I can't figure out how the length could even be made close.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 430 Likes on 301 Posts

Stock truck manifolds have been 1800 HP.

Any OE manifold will work depending on fitment.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:37 PM
no title here

Or is an adapter for some of the stock manfiolds available where s turbo will bolt to the flange. Like a pair of block hugging C6Z manifolds with adapters that bolt to the manifold and then to the exhaust side of a turbo like some of the F body/Vette people did. Like VS 58/55 or 6262 turbos on each cylinder bank. Plus with the size of the Z06 manifold and the trucks groupd clearance the mount for wastegages could bolt on pointed back and tie into the 2.5" downpipe and with as low as trucks are 2.5" shouldn't have trouble going over the rear axle. You might need an oil scavenge pump but spark plug access would be a cake walk, some piping that run up in the engine bay to pick up air in the compressor. A2A behind the girl and the 417 type might be slightly more challenging but still very possible. Even a lid could be machined with 2 DBW TBs furnace cylinder bank with the compressor pointing straight up into the throttle body. Freeing up between the radiator, ac condenser, FEAD and etc. Just a thought as I statted to fall asleep
Old 12-31-2019, 12:12 AM
no title here

I know truck manifolds support lots of power but I really don't want to lose any of my OE amenities ljke.AC in 4th of bodies, that's why the C6 manifold.on the passenger side because it avoids the AC compressor. I really want to keep the exhaust piping as close to equal lengths as possible while recirculated wastegages. Dual 2.5" pipe should clear over the rear easier than a single 4" Flipped around and upside manifolds could be a cheap alternative for turbo headers that looks really nice.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 935 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Speedway makes stainless swap manifolds. They are symmetrical and I have seen them flipped and modified for twins.

Andrew
Old 01-03-2020, 10:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Kyle Brown aka Kbracing makes logs, hot pipes, and complete kits. He was a long time sponsor on performance trucks.net

Great guy and easy to work with

Quick Reply: Possible using OE manifolds on Silverado