Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Compound Boost Destroker Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compound Boost Destroker Build

Hi everyone, i'm just gonna start off and say this is my first LS engine build, so i'm somewhat of a newbie.So far I just have a Gen3 6.0 LQ4 block, and a Gen3 4.8 crank. Now what i'm looking for is suggestions and info on what parts I should use for the build. I have any idea on some parts that i'm going with, Now I am dead set on a destroked high rpm supercharged twin turbo'd engine, looking for about 1300whp and i would appreciate it if nobody tries to talk me out of it! lol. It's going to be mated to a magnum 6-speed and put in my 81 Corvette. It will be a street/strip/autocross car. So please help me out, I'd appreciate any info given!

Compound boosted destroker capable of 1300whp

Block:
Gen3 LQ4 bored .30 over
Block filled to bottom of water pump holes
Katech pinned billet mains
ARP main studs
Piston oil squirters
Athena Oring Headgaskets
Dry Sump Oiling

Rotating Assembly:

Stock 4.8 crank- polished & cryotreated
Lunati 6.300" H-beam forged rods
Pistons- (Not sure what size to get, definitely forged, trying to get 10:5:1 compression, heads will have 72cc chambers)
Super Damper
Bearings-(Not sure what bearings to use)

Valvetrain: 8000+rpm capable
Liberty 255cc 11° Rectangle port heads, 72cc combustion chamber (Bare)
Inconel Exhaust valves
Intake valves- (Hollow stem if I can, if not then i guess titanium, not sure)
Lifters- (Solid roller, but no clue what size or what kind to get)
Pushrods-(Not sure)
Springs-(Not Sure)
Rockers- PRW 1.7 Shaft Rollers
Double roller timing set
CAMSHAFT- (Obviously a solid roller, but I have know idea what specs since i'm going to be running a supercharger and twin turbos with high rpm)

Intake:
Magnuson Lower Intake
Custom supercharger lid with ATW intercooler brick
Injectors- (Not sure what size, gonna run pump gas to cruise, and Race Gas for ***** to the wall)

Supercharger: Eaton M122

Twin Turbos:

Not Sure what size, They will be rear mount, and be able to support 1300whp

Stand alone Interchiller, and water meth to keep IAT's down

Engine Managment: Megasquirt 3 3.57

All right thats all i could think of off the top of my head. Ive had a dream of building this kind of motor since i was a kid, im now 31 with a decent paying job and finally what to achieve my dream. Now I know i could make the same power with just twins, but i want the unique factor of the turbos feeding the supercharger, i am dead set on this setup so just help me make it work please! I really appreciate whoever takes the time to do any research for me and help me out with and info, suggestions, and tricks to make my build go smoothly, If theres anything i'm forgetting please point it out. Thanks everybody!
Old 01-05-2020, 12:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 599 Likes on 413 Posts

Might be worth checking out...

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...d-heavy-hitter
Old 01-05-2020, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Honestly I'd take a look around the Diesel forums. There are a few setups that have been tried. If you have the super feed the turbo you get fast spool but the super chokes the turbo up top as it is trying to pull air through the bypass of the super. If you do the turbo or turbos first, then feeding the super the problem that folks were having was warping the super. That being said the pressures that the diesels are running is a lot more than what I'm assuming you are going for. My trucks are nothing crazy and are 65psi.

Something that I was thinking is doing a y after the air filter with one going to the super. After the super merging with the otherside of the y. The other side of the y I'd put a valve that functions like a waste gate except it is designed to seal the system when the super is supplying the boost and open once the turbo(s) are awake and ready to take over. I was also thinking of using a clutched super and just running the bypass open and the super clutched off for cruising to reduce wear on the super and motor. The other benefit is more mpg. This system would avoid the super choking the turbo up top or for the other arrangement avoid warping the super. The dow side is space and complexity. In a pre emissions Cummins there is a lot of space...a car with a V motor and twins you don't have the same space.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Have you owned anything that makes half the power of your goal? You're designing a setup to be more complex and less reliable and likely make less power than a TT setup would be.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Your starting with the wrong block with thin cylinder walls.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:25 AM

OK, lets just say i'm going with just rear mount twins. can ANYBODY help me out with my list of things that i'm not sure of? thats kinda of why i came to this forum, to look for help and answers to my questions. i'm not really looking for people to tell me not to do certain things, i understand that maybe its not the best way, but everything that i have writen down is not set in stone. so far the only parts i have are the block and the crank, and the stuff i have listed is what i'm probably gonna buy.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:59 AM

This is where I got the idea. Compound Boost ZR1
Old 01-05-2020, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Im doing a compound set up on my car but compund turbos instead of the turbo blower thing. Pd blowers dont lend themselves to compounding well. Id go compound turbo if i where you. Its hard to get info from people because most dont really understand compounding. I know i didnt when i started looking into it and ive been around turbos and hot rods since the 80s. Second reason you dont get a ton of info is because folks are jaded because if you run an internet search on compound boost youll see diesels, a very few success stories, alot of it didnt work and a **** load of i gave up half way through. If your interested in compound turbos then go to yellowbullet. There is a thread there by a dsm guy that is like the compounding bible. Read it and the reread it. It took me months to wrap my head around how it works. If you have questions just ask. Ill explain to the best of my knowledge.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

This guy I follow online has a dart 6.0 with twin 6266s and made 950rwhp on 14 psi. Could just grab something alittle larger and doing regular twins.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,307 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Start with a 5.3 iron block or go aftermarket block for 1300whp. Boring a 6.0 block is a bad idea. Call up Cam Motion, Vengeance, TSP, or any number of good vendors with your goals and they'll spec the cam with full valvetrain with it as a package. I also think you'll have to either run flat tops or a dome piston to get 10.5 compression with a 72cc head. I had 9:1 with 72cc heads and a 17cc dish.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:45 PM
Teching In

I replied with check the diesel stuff earlier because I know it has been talked about there. I guess the first question that should have been asked is what is the goal? Bragging rights? Just something different? All around, do everything car? No lag for autocross? What are your priorities?

Quick Reply: Compound Boost Destroker Build