Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharging cam only setup to 5 psi = 500rwhp. Not reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharging cam only setup to 5 psi = 500rwhp. Not reliable?

I was thinking about supercharging my cam only and bolt ons setup (see sig). I dynoed 380rwhp and wanting to do 500rwhp as a daily driver.

Only thing that worries me is that this motor has been sprayed on (4 10lb bottles). Im thinking supercharging it might be a bad idea as it would be not reliable?

I heard 8#s of boost is danger limit on stock internal ls1s. But have no idea if I can do 8#s on mine (580rwhp ).

Dont want stuff breaking on me but Im hoping 5psi shouldnt do much (as far as engine wear and tear) with an intercooled setup making 500rwhp.

Anything I should do to check if my motor is completely fine for a supercharger upgrade? It was recommended to me to do a leak down test first to see if everything is running right.

Any suggestions or help at this moment would be great.

My cam specs are 224/224 .561 .561 114LSA
Old 07-17-2004, 08:56 AM
7 Second Club

You won't make 580rwhp on 8 PSI with stock motor and your cam. It would be more like 450-500rwhp. See my website for a simliar set-up on my stock bottom. Even your cam is about the same with the exception of the LSA. But you will see all the other things I did to get 587rwhp from 12psi. With 10psi it pulled 521rwhp.

Other than that 8psi is safe as long as it's tuned properly for your car. When you get over 10psi is when your stock parts are begging to be forged !
Old 07-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put some 6.0 heads, their cheep, then 8# is safe and easyer to tune
Old 07-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

It won't be cheap, but if done CORRECTLY it should not be a problem. The pistons will be your weakest link even though everything else is done right, Forged is the right answer of course. Without upgrading the insides I can't say it enough, FUEL FUEL FUEL. Get the big injectors, bigger rails would be good and absolutely get the pump(s) up to the task. Without the fuel you WILL break it. Of course a spot on great tuning job will be your best friend once you have the fuel delivery situation done.

I've been driving mine for 3 years now with at least 480+ rwhp and have upgraded to a pulley for over 539+ for a while too. Besides the dreaded startup piston slap I have had no problems, however I am stock internally besides the rockers. See sight for more details.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the replies.

BlwnTA,
Very nice car . Got a few questions.
1) Do you have headers on your car?
2) did you dyno your car before the supercharger? what did it make?
3) If im making 380rwhp NA currently, shouldnt 6 PSI be enough for me to make 500rwhp at the wheels? (all Z06s with 380rwhp are making 540rwhp with 6.5#s).
4) I noticed your car has the wingswest kit (which I have) and I was always wondering how that would affect the intercoolers (since it would block the intercoolers air deflector). Did you have any problems? I drive my car all year round even in the summer heat (90-100F) do you think ill have a problem? Im worried the intercoolers might not do their job 100%.
5) Where did you get the nitrous pressure gauge from? Im guessing its an electronic gauge? i've been looking for those forever. Any pics of them with the lights on at night?

10thanvhawk,
I tried to visit your site but link did not work.
1) Do I need any forged stuff (pistons and what not) if I decide to go with only 5-6 psi?
2) Do I need fuel rails too? Injectors and fuel pump I will do for sure but again Im only going for 5#s or 6#s so I dont know whats overkill.
3) How long have you been driving your car with 539rwhp on the stock motor?
Old 07-18-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default supercharging

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
I was thinking about supercharging my cam only and bolt ons setup (see sig). I dynoed 380rwhp and wanting to do 500rwhp as a daily driver.

Only thing that worries me is that this motor has been sprayed on (4 10lb bottles). Im thinking supercharging it might be a bad idea as it would be not reliable?

I heard 8#s of boost is danger limit on stock internal ls1s. But have no idea if I can do 8#s on mine (580rwhp ).

Dont want stuff breaking on me but Im hoping 5psi shouldnt do much (as far as engine wear and tear) with an intercooled setup making 500rwhp.

Anything I should do to check if my motor is completely fine for a supercharger upgrade? It was recommended to me to do a leak down test first to see if everything is running right.

Any suggestions or help at this moment would be great.

My cam specs are 224/224 .561 .561 114LSA
To your questions.Yes you can make 500 RWHP.(easy) I have tuned many Bone Stock LS1's running around 8 Lbs of boost.All you need is larger injectors,additional fuel pump and my tuning and you will be good to go!The main thing is do a leak down test or see if you are getting any blowby at the valve covers,if so then you could still install the supercharger but I would not tune it to the 500 H.P.mark.Depending on how much if any blowby and how many miles is on your engine, 5 lbs would be safer but it will increase the wear of the engine....................Moehorsepower Performance.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

10thanvhawk,

sorry about that, seems the whole server is offline, seems a co-workers kid unplugged the server as they messed with it Saturday

1) Do I need any forged stuff (pistons and what not) if I decide to go with only 5-6 psi?

It can work without forging yes, with a great tuning and fuel delivery.

2) Do I need fuel rails too? Injectors and fuel pump I will do for sure but again Im only going for 5#s or 6#s so I dont know whats overkill.

Not an absolute requirement, but worth the investment.

I've run the 2.8" pulley on a P series head unit over 1 year, the previous years was on a 3.0", I only ran a 3.2 for a few months back in 2001 before I got the car tuned.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:10 AM
7 Second Club

1) Yes...FLP.
2) No
3) Z06's have killer heads from the factory...I'm still guessing you'll need 8#'s to get there or change the heads.
4) WW kit does not hurt the performance at all. With the boost your going to run the ATI IC's are fine.
5) No pics with lights on....got it from NOS (I think) it's 2 5/8's fits perfectly snug there.

Good luck....let us know how it turns out.

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
thanks for the replies.

BlwnTA,
Very nice car . Got a few questions.
1) Do you have headers on your car?
2) did you dyno your car before the supercharger? what did it make?
3) If im making 380rwhp NA currently, shouldnt 6 PSI be enough for me to make 500rwhp at the wheels? (all Z06s with 380rwhp are making 540rwhp with 6.5#s).
4) I noticed your car has the wingswest kit (which I have) and I was always wondering how that would affect the intercoolers (since it would block the intercoolers air deflector). Did you have any problems? I drive my car all year round even in the summer heat (90-100F) do you think ill have a problem? Im worried the intercoolers might not do their job 100%.
5) Where did you get the nitrous pressure gauge from? Im guessing its an electronic gauge? i've been looking for those forever. Any pics of them with the lights on at night?

10thanvhawk,
Old 07-18-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

1. Id run a knock box..
2. Alchy injection system..

It will save the motor..
Old 07-18-2004, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

I run almost the same cam. I do have heads though, but hit my mark with 5-6#'s

I ran N20 for two years before switching to FI. I think FI is much easier on the engine because it doesn't hit as hard as FI.

Quick Reply: Supercharging cam only setup to 5 psi = 500rwhp. Not reliable?