Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley boost control

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holley boost control

I'm plumbing in the boost control solenoid, it a holley # 557-201. This is a twin turbo setup with dual port wastegates. I do no want to run CO2 or a pump so was planning to use the compressor outlet as the pressure source. Can I use the dome pressure control method with a psi sensor in top of the wastegate while using the compressor outlet as the pressure source? Or is there a better way to plumb it?
Old 07-24-2020, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

If it’s not too late I’d return the $300 solenoid and get a 3 or 4 port Mac valve for $40. Matt happel on sloppy has a bunch of good videos on setting up boost control, you can also split the MAP sensor signal to get PSI instead of running a dome sensor. But what you described will totally work as well. Just my .02.
The following users liked this post:
JimTA (02-19-2022)
Old 07-25-2020, 05:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Trying to use dome pressure on boost fed control....doesn't seem correct because that boost will be a large variable.

Just do a regular simple setup as Quito says. Simple mac solenoid or one per gate is all that is needed.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Trying to use dome pressure on boost fed control....doesn't seem correct because that boost will be a large variable.

Just do a regular simple setup as Quito says. Simple mac solenoid or one per gate is all that is needed.
I already have the holley solenoid and its mounted. Is the any way to just use the valve I have?
Old 07-26-2020, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Exactly how you described should get the job done. Compressor housing are a good pressure source.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:01 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Why not just run your map signal as dome pressure and keep it simple.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Why not just run your map signal as dome pressure and keep it simple.
I think people equate the p/n’s in the Holley drop down menu(s) as “simple”. Kind of genius on their part. I agree completely with creating an input off the map and using it. Super simple to split the signal at the ECU and loom it back in....skip all the other non-sense.

OP one thing worth mentioning is that using your MAP as a “dome sensor” is actually way more accurate for target boost. Simply put MAP is your actual boost so it’s all 1:1. using a dome sensor is the amount of boost on top of the gate to reach your target boost which will vary depending on WG priority, spring size etc so there is more variables to hitting your target boost #. Hopefully not terribly confusing. Again, great videos on YT about this stuff.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Quito195
I think people equate the p/n’s in the Holley drop down menu(s) as “simple”. Kind of genius on their part. I agree completely with creating an input off the map and using it. Super simple to split the signal at the ECU and loom it back in....skip all the other non-sense.

OP one thing worth mentioning is that using your MAP as a “dome sensor” is actually way more accurate for target boost. Simply put MAP is your actual boost so it’s all 1:1. using a dome sensor is the amount of boost on top of the gate to reach your target boost which will vary depending on WG priority, spring size etc so there is more variables to hitting your target boost #. Hopefully not terribly confusing. Again, great videos on YT about this stuff.
I am definitely confused on all the different ways to setup the boost control. I have everything plumbed in so I don't want to make any changes since its all installed but I could use some help on the setup. I'm using the holley high flow solenoid with the compressor as the as the source pressure. I have the lower port on the wastegate going to the compressor housing and the upper port going to the solenoid outlet. I drilled and tapped the wastegate top for the dome pressure sensor.

Is it better to run a heavier wastegate spring or lighter?
If I wire a switch to disable the boost control in holley will it use the wastgate spring pressure?
Once everything is up and running can I change the boost psi on the fly without hooking up a laptop? I have the 12.3 pro dash and 7" dash
Old 07-28-2020, 05:48 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

I would start with a light spring and see how the system responds. If it nets you the boost you want to see then you are good to go, if not, baseline it well, then toss heavy spring in.

I think you may be setting yourself up for confusion with using comp as pressure source, along with basing it off of dome pressure, but thats my opinion.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Which system are you using? The options are a little different.
Holley and others have very good videos on how to set this up and make it work using various strategies. Jump on YouTube and search. The nice thing about Holley is it’s extremely flexible.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nocooler
Which system are you using? The options are a little different.
Holley and others have very good videos on how to set this up and make it work using various strategies. Jump on YouTube and search. The nice thing about Holley is it’s extremely flexible.
Holley dominator, I will check out the videos on it

Thanks
Old 07-29-2020, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Dominator and HP offer map or dome control without the need to splice the map signal like some people do with the terminator https://documents.holley.com/199r10628rev2.pdf - straight from Holley
Old 07-29-2020, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I gotta tell you the open-loop/duty cycle based control works pretty dam good. If you want to keep it simple.
The following users liked this post:
blackdak318 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
I gotta tell you the open-loop/duty cycle based control works pretty dam good. If you want to keep it simple.
This is the way my system it set up and I have absolutely zero complaints. It regulates well from about 8 psi up to ??? psi. I've made 22.8# on the dyno on 75% duty cycle. Hopefully within about the next year I'll see what it makes on 100% duty at the track lol.

Quick Reply: Holley boost control