Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to make 03 Z06 800+ RWHP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004 | 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INSOMNIAC
I never said I knew much about building an engine. And I don't.

But I want to use the best parts out there and buy the parts myself to avoid any middle man markups. There are really good deals on Lunati rotating assemblies and I don't want to pass on them and settle for less quality stuff. And if I go to a popular engine builder and ask him what parts to buy, he would probably not tell me as they prefer not to cook somebody else's steak. Well, non of them is their steak anyway (they don't manufacture pistons, cranks, etc) but they want to buy the steak for you put some $$ on it and sell it to you. Maybe another Corvette thing.
Hey, just food for thought, it took me a few months of weekends to build a motor in DIY mode. I've rebuilt motors in the past so I figured I had it handled. Problem is you can't order until you know what size part you need, and you don't know that until the machine work is done on the last part. You have to order/ship, machine, measure, order/ship, assemble, order/ship, assemble, etc. It's the tools and the little parts which will eat you alive after you've figured your budget (gasket kit, additional trick head gaskets, 12-point studs, 12-point deep sockets, piston ring compressors, sealers, lubes, anti-seize, hoses, better torque wrench, engine stand, ring file, oil plugs, o-rings, main bearing caps, pushrods, lifters, rockers, oil pump, timing chain, degree wheel, water pump, ratcheting wrenches, big allen sockets, sparkplugs, plug wires, paint, etc, etc). As you build the motor you'll find there are trick parts that you didn't order, like special coated parts, timing chain tensioner, ported 'blueprinted' oil pump, adjustable timing chain, special rocker arms, trick balancers, lightweight flywheels, titanium rods, forged crank, silicon hoses, trick hose clamps, oil cooler, gapless rings, etc. And you didn't forget to order those chrome-moly billet-machined ceramic-coated piston return-springs did you? Special-ordering anything adds weeks for each part.

I strongly recommend either going directly to a motor rebuilder and buying an assembly (which they usually have in stock), or have one custom-built for you according to your specs, which is probably something they've built before. After all, all of us are targeting 800rwhp.

Last edited by blu00rdstr; 07-21-2004 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2004 | 04:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blu00rdstr
Problem is you can't order until you know what size part you need, and you don't know that until the machine work is done on the last part. You have to order/ship, machine, measure, order/ship, assemble, order/ship, assemble, etc. All the little parts will end up costing the most, and some of the order/ship steps are tools you'll need to spend money on which a shop already has on-hand. Special-ordering anything adds weeks for each part.
I totally agree with you. I don't want to and can't build a motor. I just want to buy the parts and give them to a respected engine builder. For example, I can go and buy 90mm Fast Intake manifold, 90mm TB, C5-R block, Exedy Twin Clutch, AFR Blower heads online from GP's maybe and save bunch of $$$ there cause he is going to buy the same exact part. There is no measurment, fitting, custom ordering with these stuff. And give them to the enginebuilder and let him do the install. I don't see what is wrong with this but most of the enginebuilders want to use "Their FAST intake manifold, Their C5-R block, Their Exedy Twins, Their AFR heads, Their APR studs and bolts,etc"

Old 07-21-2004 | 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INSOMNIAC
I totally agree with you. I don't want to and can't build a motor. I just want to buy the parts and give them to a respected engine builder. For example, I can go and buy 90mm Fast Intake manifold, 90mm TB, C5-R block, Exedy Twin Clutch, AFR Blower heads online from GP's maybe and save bunch of $$$ there cause he is going to buy the same exact part. There is no measurment, fitting, custom ordering with these stuff. And give them to the enginebuilder and let him do the install. I don't see what is wrong with this but most of the enginebuilders want to use "Their FAST intake manifold, Their C5-R block, Their Exedy Twins, Their AFR heads, Their APR studs and bolts,etc"

OK, just remember shops get jobber pricing. You might want to spec and price out the list and just ask them to match the overall parts cost. Although they may not see all the GP deals you find, they may save costs in other places you can't. If you line-item challenge a shop they'll back off doing the work for a good deal, since the time they spend discussing line items is overhead and reduces profit.
Old 07-21-2004 | 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

In all honesty It Is pretty easy to make 800 rwhp if you have the money to spend. You dont need a C5R block and you might not even need a big bore set up. Its just gonna cost you money. Dont go to a big name shop(LPE, DRM ect..). Just find a good tuner.
Old 09-26-2004 | 12:50 PM
Teching In

Why would a longer stroke be bad for FI?

I am doing a 382 with an F1 SC and am looking for 675 to 700 rwhp in my 02 Z06. The 382 would be an all stroke. This kinda relates to the thread... I think?
Old 09-26-2004 | 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

QMP makes a TT kit now installed, tuned, out the door for 14k. Twin 60-1's which would probably put you near 600 on a stock motor. That's a guesstimate. Build the motor up + up the boost and look out. Just a matter of finding Rob and getting on his schedule.