Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lifter/cam failure. Ebay LS7 lifters at fault or did I use them out of their realm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Sounds like a good pre-emptive plan.

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I've got an LC9 I picked up to build, I plan to run Johnson link bar lifters as advised by Jon Capizzi. He's run LS7s and run 7s but this is what he's gone to in his cars.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Really sorry to hear about this and continue to keep us updated. No way a rag is in the engine anywhere but the fibers are odd..
Old 06-01-2021, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

With finding out the crank and bearings were lightly scratched( my machinist *thinks* he can polish the crank and clean it up) i was wondering about the bearings in the New turbo. I contacted VSRacing whom said they could service it for the better part of $500. I thought, "Man, that's like 60% of what I paid for it and shipping of this 50lb behemoth hasn't even been factored in". I decided to just pull it apart and inspect it myself. It was easy to do. I marked where the shaft was in relation to the nut, kept notes and noted which way the big c-clip faced. Once apart, I saw the small barrel shaped bearings had very light scratching while the shaft shows no sign of scratching. The big brass journal looked great. The shaft did have a bit of color near the turbine wheel. I don't know if that is to be expected or something concerning. Do you guys have an opinion?

Old 06-02-2021, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

I don’t have any personal experience but I would assume the discoloration was normal just from heat?? Couldn’t you just replace the bearings that have alittle scratches and be on your way... definitely not worth it to send it to VSR for that price.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

That's what I'm thinking. I've looked around for rebuild kits and they're like $35'ish. Not bad at all , but the ones I've found in my brief searches are all in china and the lead times are showing I wouldn't get them till late July. There's a turbo service center not too far from me. I'm going to call them here in a bit to see if they have any kits.

Originally Posted by SCLT1
I don’t have any personal experience but I would assume the discoloration was normal just from heat?? Couldn’t you just replace the bearings that have alittle scratches and be on your way... definitely not worth it to send it to VSR for that price.
The following users liked this post:
SCLT1 (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Local guy said they don't have them in stock. Looked a little bit more on Ebay and found a place in California that has them at $4x.xx so ordered that kit. Will be here in a week.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:55 AM
TECH Regular

Well that’s a good deal then!

Quick Reply: Lifter/cam failure. Ebay LS7 lifters at fault or did I use them out of their realm?