Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what kind of exhaust for my Incon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 06:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what kind of exhaust for my Incon?

I am using the Incon supplied y-pipe to a borla catback with an electric cutout where the plates go. Honestly...it isn't loud at all with the cutout open. i am thinking about dumping the borla/cutout for weight. i wonder what would sound good and be light as well. My car is a PIG. 3900# WITH full BMR suspension up front and i haven't even put on the SFC yet. Losing some exhaust weight would be perfect because i wouldn't be sacrificing anything I don't think as it's not very loud. I don't want it obnoxiously loud but could stand more volume.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right about the noise, its real quiet. I have a Magnaflow muffler on an SLP dual dual, and its just slightly louder than stock.

If you have ever heard the Magnaflow on a stock car, its almost obnoxiously loud. See what it sounds like if you remove the muffler completely. I almost did this, and just ran pipes. Its really not that loud. A header/magnaflow car is much louder.

I even went from 450 to 481 at the wheels with the Magnaflow over the SLP muffler.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:26 PM
9 Second Club

are you using the incon y-pipe? it could be bigger
Old 07-22-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car uses the incon otr y (no cats) and a bola with no plate. it sounds wonderful

some times i think i'd like a cam just for the sound...then I start the car and realize it's close to perfection as it is. Losing the weight of the unused muffler is a good idea, though.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Teching In

mines a flowmaster y and all the same as dave's. I think slp loudmouth, no cats, very quiet at idle w/ turbo's, wide open at boost. Im thinking about making a open pipe to replace the muffler on my borla. Ive yet to open the cut out's, how's that sound. mine arnt electric.

Originally Posted by DaveSchott
my car uses the incon otr y (no cats) and a bola with no plate. it sounds wonderful

some times i think i'd like a cam just for the sound...then I start the car and realize it's close to perfection as it is. Losing the weight of the unused muffler is a good idea, though.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

3.5" downpipe to a 3.5" race bullet dumped just after the passenger side tire on my car. I love it. It's pretty loud when you get on it, but not loud like a car with 1 chamber flows or anything.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TTSSZ
mines a flowmaster y and all the same as dave's. I think slp loudmouth, no cats, very quiet at idle w/ turbo's, wide open at boost. Im thinking about making a open pipe to replace the muffler on my borla. Ive yet to open the cut out's, how's that sound. mine arnt electric.

IMO, the turbos add enough muffling with a rear exiting exhaust. Taking off the cats makes all the difference. At idle and part throttle it sounds aggressive but is not annoying. WOT is a different story, the noise level really goes up. Upshifts and downshifts are music. I took off the !CAGS because I seldom shift at low rpms.

If I were starting from scratch I'd try a loudmouth - they were'nt yet available when I did the exhaust in mid-2000.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

i remember when mike brown was just dumping his exhaust right after the down pipe via no exhaust, it sounded sweet. might be a little loud for driving it on the street much.

i have an ATR turbo catback on mine gives a little rumble not much, then when i want to make power or loud, i open up the electric cutout thats right after the downpipe, sounds sweet but a bit loud for daily driving it. i like to be able to choose loud or quiet.

Quick Reply: what kind of exhaust for my Incon?