Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Zl1 brick collapsed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zl1 brick collapsed

Hey everyone,

I’ve got a question about the Zl1 brick out of a lsa intercooler. When I bought the blower and lid used the brick was collapsed and I inflated it, or popped out, the collapsed section on the back side and welded in a plate to reinforce it. Since then I have also added a 8gpm methanol nozzle on the intake tube before the throttle body to aid in the cooling. The blower has a ported snout and 2.5 upper and 9.1 lower making around 12psi on my l92 engine.

I’m wondering if it’s possible that the brick could still be collapsed internally as I’m seeing iat at around 160 after the 1/4 l mile and cruising air temps of 25-30* above ambient.

My cooling system has a huge heat exchanger made my rd performance in the front, ewp150 pump, and a 3 gallon under hood tank all 12an fittings and hose. I seem to have good flow threw the system as I have a good return stream into the tank.

thanks
Old 06-06-2022, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't personally think that's a "bad" IAT. I mean it's a little warm, but there's a lot of factors that go into it.
I only have personal experience with one, and unless we run ice in it, that's typically what I see.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Ok thank you for that. I guess I should of put all that in. It’s a swap into a 1980 c10 l92 engine. The heat exchanger is made by lance drager and it’s his 16x22x2.5 with 12an bungs. My pump is a Davies Craig ewp150. The flow goes tank-pump-lower inlet of the lid- upper lid outlet-heat exchanger- tank.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 605 Likes on 481 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Does this have the water manifold ported before/ up to -AN fittings? Need more detailed inform
Old 06-06-2022, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Does this have the water manifold ported before/ up to -AN fittings? Need more detailed inform
im going to say no. They’re just tapped with some fitting maybe 5/8 to 12an adapter.

I thought about buying one of those billet manifolds to get rid of the stock one but didn’t feel it necessary. I couldn’t really find any info backing up the cost.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you have good flow through the intercooler and your heat exchanger is doing a decent job, you should be seeing 12 to 20 over ambient at cruise (no boost). I had a front drive TVS2300 with big heat exchanger and it would run 10 to 12 over ambient at cruise. It had the regular heat exchanger in front of the radiator plus a full size radiator with e fans mounted in the bed for additional cooling (did a lot of towing with that truck). That and a Jabsco 8gpm bilge pump to circulate the coolant.

Also had another TVS on a Vette that would run 12-15 over ambient at cruise with the standard Bosch pump and heat exchanger. Both of these would go up about 35 degrees over whatever the temp was at the start of the run. That was at 9-10 psi.

I think your intercooler needs work.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by old motorhead
If you have good flow through the intercooler and your heat exchanger is doing a decent job, you should be seeing 12 to 20 over ambient at cruise (no boost). I had a front drive TVS2300 with big heat exchanger and it would run 10 to 12 over ambient at cruise. It had the regular heat exchanger in front of the radiator plus a full size radiator with e fans mounted in the bed for additional cooling (did a lot of towing with that truck). That and a Jabsco 8gpm bilge pump to circulate the coolant.

Also had another TVS on a Vette that would run 12-15 over ambient at cruise with the standard Bosch pump and heat exchanger. Both of these would go up about 35 degrees over whatever the temp was at the start of the run. That was at 9-10 psi.

I think your intercooler needs work.
ok I’m gona pull the lid off probably this weekend I just wanted some opinions before I did. By intercooler are you saying the brick or the heat exchanger?

ive put the system under a vacuum of 15in mercury for a couple hours and it held it. I was thinking maybe it had a air pocket somewhere. But I’ll dive into it again and see what’s going on.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Foxracer52
ok I’m gona pull the lid off probably this weekend I just wanted some opinions before I did. By intercooler are you saying the brick or the heat exchanger?

ive put the system under a vacuum of 15in mercury for a couple hours and it held it. I was thinking maybe it had a air pocket somewhere. But I’ll dive into it again and see what’s going on.
The brick. The piece that is supposed to cool the air heated by the supercharger before it goes into your heads.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I’ll see what it looks like and report back. Thanks
Old 06-06-2022, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 249 Likes on 171 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I am running a very basic LSA intercooler system with no tank. ZL1 brick, ZL1 heat exchanger and ZZP bosch style pump with a factory CTS-V Coolant T as the reservoir. I have never seen my temps that high in a solid cruise. Maybe 15 over ambient if it's really hot outside.

I've never made a full 1/4 mile pass but even after several 3rd gear pulls (manual Trans) It doesn't gain but 10 or 15 degrees.

I definitely think you have something amiss or air in the system.

Quick Reply: Zl1 brick collapsed