Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Quality turbo blanket vs Cheapo blankets

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 146 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Quality turbo blanket vs Cheapo blankets

Hey guys looking for a little insight on some things here. So when I got my car running I had a cheapo Amazon turbo blanket with cheap fiberglass exhaust wrap for the downpipe and to hit 15-16 psi of boost I only needed to hit the dome of the wastegate with around 7-8 lbs of pressure.

Now fast forward to this past spring I decided to buy a really nice turbo blanket and some of that DEI titanium exhaust wrap and now I'm finding I've got to crank up the dome pressure to about 16 psi to get back to the boost level I was hitting before.

My hot side is a Hooker turbo manifold setup with a stainless turbo mount and 4" stainless downpipe. I haven't changed anything else, nothing is leaking only tossed on the new blanket and wrap.

So what gives does a quality blanket and wrap really make that much of a difference??

This turbo stuff is fairly new to me and I do realize that this must sound like a stupid question to the vets around here. Thanks for the input everybody
Old 08-11-2023, 07:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

I have only run the cheap stuff, so no comparison, but I would suspect something else is going on. But then, weird things happen, lol.
The following users liked this post:
Old Buzzard (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 563 Likes on 439 Posts

I think something else is going on there, perhaps there was a leak you didn't know about, and you fixed it going back together?
Had that happen on my current car, when I got it, everything seemed normal, boost was kinda slow but it's a big turbo, so I wasn't worried.
Got underneath the car and the passenger side v-band clamp had come loose and the flanges were misaligned causing a slight exhaust leak.
Once I fixed it boost came in way faster and was much steadier.
You could be in a similar situation or maybe the added insulation really did increase the velocity and pressure in the system to the point where you needed more dome pressure.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The ******
I think something else is going on there, perhaps there was a leak you didn't know about, and you fixed it going back together?
Had that happen on my current car, when I got it, everything seemed normal, boost was kinda slow but it's a big turbo, so I wasn't worried.
Got underneath the car and the passenger side v-band clamp had come loose and the flanges were misaligned causing a slight exhaust leak.
Once I fixed it boost came in way faster and was much steadier.
You could be in a similar situation or maybe the added insulation really did increase the velocity and pressure in the system to the point where you needed more dome pressure.
I never pulled anything apart I just installed the new blanket and that DEI lava rock wrap. I did go back out and checked the manifold bolts and all v band connections and they're as tight as can be. The only one that was kinda sorta loose was the wastegate connection which I got about 2 turns on the bolt. Maybe that was all it was?? Either way I'll find out shortly when I head out again
Old 08-11-2023, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Heat stress, you have a crack or a leak somewhere.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by enigmah
Heat stress, you have a crack or a leak somewhere.
Hmm a crack maybe. I would think I'd be able to hear that when everything gets hot. I'm wondering if maybe the diaphragm in the wastegate isn't 100% anymore??

Either way I look at it I'll have to start taking things apart and see
Old 08-11-2023, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 634 Likes on 488 Posts

Put old blanket back on, try it again. You'll prove to yourself it wasnt the blanket.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 746 Likes on 547 Posts

If you have t4's you can double up on the cheap blankets. Run the T4 blanket then run a T6 on top of the t4. I also spray the inside and out with BBQ grill paint (turbo housing too) to help lock out moisture and keep them from falling apart. I can put my hand on the blanket after a pass works really well.

Quick Reply: Quality turbo blanket vs Cheapo blankets