Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Projected horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 252 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
You need to log the truck when driving. Get the front end in the air and put an Lisle radiator overflow on it and let it idle for awhile with the heat on and try to burp the system. Get an IR gun on the header primaries if you can and make sure it's firing on all 8. Many simple things and you may have a tune issue or multiple things going on.
I brought it to a guy yesterday to tune but my wideband wasn't working because i needed to calibrate my sensor so he told me get that working and bring it back. Ir gun? Explain please
nvm I see what it is, I'm going buy one now

Last edited by Tommy42088; 11-05-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy42088
I brought it to a guy yesterday to tune but my wideband wasn't working because i needed to calibrate my sensor so he told me get that working and bring it back. Ir gun? Explain please
nvm I see what it is, I'm going buy one now
You just have to work on being able to troubleshoot. Sometimes you just want it to be done and work. I chased my tail for weeks on my truck with multiple screwed up MAF sensors and was ready to throw in the towel. Sometimes stepping away for a couple days gives you sole clarity to go back after something.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

You just have to work on being able to troubleshoot. Sometimes you just want it to be done and work. I chased my tail for weeks on my truck with multiple screwed up MAF sensors and was ready to throw in the towel. Sometimes stepping away for a couple days gives you sole clarity to go back after something.
yeh man I understand, its just frustrating when ive invested alot of time and money in this truck and i just want to see it running right. I have a tune appointment next weekend ao thats why im trying to resolve this overheat issue. Im hoping he can see something in the tune that i cant see if i cant get the hesitation to stop
Old 11-05-2023, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

yeh man I understand, its just frustrating when ive invested alot of time and money in this truck and i just want to see it running right. I have a tune appointment next weekend ao thats why im trying to resolve this overheat issue. Im hoping he can see something in the tune that i cant see if i cant get the hesitation to stop
you'll get there. The first day you take it out and are making WOT boosted pulls with no issues you'll forget all about the issues. It's natural to be frustrated when it seems like one thing after another. Work on thr cooling. Run the truck at night when it's dark out and see if you see any arcing under the hood. Use the IR gun and make sure you're running on all 8. Then see what the tuner can do.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

First 10 times I drove my '67 I was always fixing something the next day.

So overheating, that can be a few things. You can make sure you got all the air out of the system. I've had luck jacking up the front of the vehicle making the rad cap the highest point. Used a universal fill/cap deal with it's funnel, put in about 2 points, could immediately see air bubbles. Not sure how much I put in there, but after 24 hours I got all the air out.

The second issue is tune. I'll defer to the tuners like Andrew but generally we end up running more idle and cruise timing than an NA combo.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

you'll get there. The first day you take it out and are making WOT boosted pulls with no issues you'll forget all about the issues. It's natural to be frustrated when it seems like one thing after another. Work on thr cooling. Run the truck at night when it's dark out and see if you see any arcing under the hood. Use the IR gun and make sure you're running on all 8. Then see what the tuner can do.

Ive tried this over n over, it just steams and blow the water like this and then begins to over heat again

This one seems to fluctuate so maybe im on to something

Old 11-05-2023, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
First 10 times I drove my '67 I was always fixing something the next day.

So overheating, that can be a few things. You can make sure you got all the air out of the system. I've had luck jacking up the front of the vehicle making the rad cap the highest point. Used a universal fill/cap deal with it's funnel, put in about 2 points, could immediately see air bubbles. Not sure how much I put in there, but after 24 hours I got all the air out.

The second issue is tune. I'll defer to the tuners like Andrew but generally we end up running more idle and cruise timing than an NA combo.
Ive tried all that man honestly i have, nothing seems to be working, I wish it was only 10 times. I've tried driving alot more then that
Old 11-05-2023, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

What do you mean the cooling system just steams? You keep adding water. As the temperature increases it'll push the water level higher and will burp air bubbles. Then you let it fully cool down and it'll suck the coolant back down. If you're getting stead out of that funnel either you're not keeping enough coolant in it or you've got a major combustion leak into the cooling system.

On the IR gun, those things can be tempermental. Make sure youre exactly rhe same spot on the primary and even then youll see temp swings because of header designs. As long as youre seeijg a few hundred degrees on all 8 theyre all firing.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

What do you mean the cooling system just steams? You keep adding water. As the temperature increases it'll push the water level higher and will burp air bubbles. Then you let it fully cool down and it'll suck the coolant back down. If you're getting stead out of that funnel either you're not keeping enough coolant in it or you've got a major combustion leak into the cooling system.

On the IR gun, those things can be tempermental. Make sure youre exactly rhe same spot on the primary and even then youll see temp swings because of header designs. As long as youre seeijg a few hundred degrees on all 8 theyre all firing.
I can't put water in it when it's doing that, it just blows it straight back out. it doesnt seem to settle down and my over flow tank is filling with water because the water is going back into it. It's to much pressure.
could it be my radiator? Everything is new but that, the water does get dirty pretty quickly inside so Maybe its stopped up?

Last edited by Tommy42088; 11-05-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

I can't put water in it when it's doing that, it just blows it straight back out. it doesnt seem to settle down and my over flow tank is filling with water because the water is going back into it. It's to much pressure.
could it be my radiator? Everything is new but that, the water does get dirty pretty quickly inside so Maybe its stopped up?
that's the point. It shouldn't be doing that. Do you have any white smoke out the back or have you pressure testes the cooling system? it sounds like a popped head gasket or a hose isnt hooked up right somewhere. When the radiator cap is off and you stick a full in there the overflow should be closed so it all stays in the funnel. Any chance you have a blocked radiator?
Old 11-05-2023, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

that's the point. It shouldn't be doing that. Do you have any white smoke out the back or have you pressure testes the cooling system? it sounds like a popped head gasket or a hose isnt hooked up right somewhere. When the radiator cap is off and you stick a full in there the overflow should be closed so it all stays in the funnel. Any chance you have a blocked radiator?
no smoke, and head gaskets are Maybe 3 months old, and what hose could possibly be wrong? There's not many hoses on a coolant system, and I was thinking maybe the radiator too, when I unhook the bottom hose the water comes out
Old 11-05-2023, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

no smoke, and head gaskets are Maybe 3 months old, and what hose could possibly be wrong? There's not many hoses on a coolant system, and I was thinking maybe the radiator too, when I unhook the bottom hose the water comes out
that sounds like the radiator isn't clogged. That's an odd one. I've never seen it just dump vapor like that.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

that sounds like the radiator isn't clogged. That's an odd one. I've never seen it just dump vapor like that.
I know and I have bled it a few times since ive own it so i know what it takes but it's not working. I can hear it bubbling out the canister everytime i turn the truck off. Even like that i would of though if it had air that it would of worked itself out.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 516 Likes on 365 Posts

I hate to say this, but I would do a leakdown test with the radiator cap off and see if you get bubbles.
The following users liked this post:
Tommy42088 (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

I know and I have bled it a few times since ive own it so i know what it takes but it's not working. I can hear it bubbling out the canister everytime i turn the truck off. Even like that i would of though if it had air that it would of worked itself out.
did you make any WOT pulls before it was tuned? Did the tuner get far enough into the tune that he was dialing in WOT and disnt just "load a safe tune".
Old 11-05-2023, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gametech
I hate to say this, but I would do a leakdown test with the radiator cap off and see if you get bubbles.
what are you saying? Head gasket?
Old 11-05-2023, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

did you make any WOT pulls before it was tuned? Did the tuner get far enough into the tune that he was dialing in WOT and disnt just "load a safe tune".
no, you can't make wot pulls, it hesitates to much. They giu yesterday just checked the injector data and tried to add a little fuel to see if it helped and nothing changed
Old 11-05-2023, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 516 Likes on 365 Posts

what are you saying? Head gasket?
That is one possibility, but either way the amount of steam you are getting certainly gives the appearance that hot combustion gases could be getting into your coolant. I certainly hope I am wrong, but it is worth checking.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gametech
That is one possibility, but either way the amount of steam you are getting certainly gives the appearance that hot combustion gases could be getting into your coolant. I certainly hope I am wrong, but it is worth checking.
I hope your wrong too but if not I'm capable of changing them. I did it last time. Idk why they would be blown though. I just put new ones a few months ago from summit and i haven't let it run hot to the extreme of blowing the gaskets out
Old 11-06-2023, 05:17 AM
10 Second Club

You're saying you've driven the truck since the gasket change with no overheating and haven't been WOT with the turbo setup? If so that would be a good sign.

Quick Reply: Projected horsepower