Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Going Procharger...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I emailed Bob at brute speed and asked him about a setup without the plenum. I was confused because on there website when you look at there FBody kits it shows using a plenum on both setups but in actuality it does show a diagram of a setup without one if you upgrade to the 3core intercooler: which has been exactly what I was looking for. I am hoping for a modest 950-1000 hp using the F1a-94 through my 416. It will be a automatic trans.

Now that I've found the kit I'll be using, I need to find some decent Heads to use. Any recommendations? AFR? Brodix? Mast....
Old 12-26-2023, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 379 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaDad1216
I emailed Bob at brute speed and asked him about a setup without the plenum. I was confused because on there website when you look at there FBody kits it shows using a plenum on both setups but in actuality it does show a diagram of a setup without one if you upgrade to the 3core intercooler: which has been exactly what I was looking for. I am hoping for a modest 950-1000 hp using the F1a-94 through my 416. It will be a automatic trans.

Now that I've found the kit I'll be using, I need to find some decent Heads to use. Any recommendations? AFR? Brodix? Mast....

I buy everything procharger related from Bob. Best service at the best price. 1000 rwhp with the 416 will be a nice combo easy to drive and maintain for a streetable combo. I make roughly 1000 rwhp through an auto on my little 377 with 241 heads...yes you heard that right 241 heads with a BTR .660 spring kit in them and BTR equalizer manifold.

Cubic inches and expensive heads aren't needed with a procharger, but they certainly help giving you more torque throughout the range and making the peak power number at a lower boost number. I use e85 and meth injection on at 4 psi I've found heat not to be a problem at all with the blower spinning 75,000 RPM. (8.25 crank pulley, 4.12 blower pulley, shifting at 7000 RPM).

For your combo stock LS3 heads on the 416 would make 1000 rwhp easily with the F1a-94 spinning the blower 73,000 to 75,000 rpm and probably be around 15 psi of boost. That same blower speed makes about 20 psi peak boost on my little stock headed 377.
The following users liked this post:
FormulaDad1216 (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
I buy everything procharger related from Bob. Best service at the best price. 1000 rwhp with the 416 will be a nice combo easy to drive and maintain for a streetable combo. I make roughly 1000 rwhp through an auto on my little 377 with 241 heads...yes you heard that right 241 heads with a BTR .660 spring kit in them and BTR equalizer manifold.

Cubic inches and expensive heads aren't needed with a procharger, but they certainly help giving you more torque throughout the range and making the peak power number at a lower boost number. I use e85 and meth injection on at 4 psi I've found heat not to be a problem at all with the blower spinning 75,000 RPM. (8.25 crank pulley, 4.12 blower pulley, shifting at 7000 RPM).

For your combo stock LS3 heads on the 416 would make 1000 rwhp easily with the F1a-94 spinning the blower 73,000 to 75,000 rpm and probably be around 15 psi of boost. That same blower speed makes about 20 psi peak boost on my little stock headed 377.
Impressive on a 377 with 241's! This will be my first force induction setup. So I'm sure I'm way under evaluating the performance prochargers give. I just looked on LME website and they have a force induction 416 aluminum longblock with cnc ported ls3 heads but weirdly it state its been proven reliable for only 600-800 daily street able hp. Might just give them a call an see if it's still within range for 1000hp without maxing it out.
Old 12-26-2023, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FormulaDad1216
Impressive on a 377 with 241's! This will be my first force induction setup. So I'm sure I'm way under evaluating the performance prochargers give. I just looked on LME website and they have a force induction 416 aluminum longblock with cnc ported ls3 heads but weirdly it state its been proven reliable for only 600-800 daily street able hp. Might just give them a call an see if it's still within range for 1000hp without maxing it out.
You need to wrap your mind around the idea that a procharger at a given impeller speed can support a peak horsepower number regardless of cubic inches, heads, intake, etc. More cubic inches will make that same peak number with more torque and better average power. A more efficient motor (better heads, intake, etc.) will make a little more, but not as much as you think with the same blower/impeller speed.

A more efficient combo (better heads, intake, etc) will likely not make much more peak power with the same procharger at the same impeller speed when we are talking about an F1a-94 at the 1000 rwhp level not trying to squeeze everything out of it.

For example, if I spent $3500 on a set of heads to replace my 241's I'd likely gain a little power maybe (50 rwhp) and my boost would drop a couple psi. More power with less boost while still running the same pulley's on the crank/blower (same impeller speed).

For me at the time I put the combo together $3500 was a lot to spend when my goal was only 750 with the D1x I started with. I could just run a couple more psi right? To an extent yes and then just slap an F1a-94 on it later when I wanted more. The head unit cost me less than a set of heads after I sold the D1x. The F1a-94 over the D1x definitely gave me more than the heads would for the money right?

I definitely am at the point I want better heads now, but thinking I may wait until I build the next motor and may want an F1x by then...lol.

My opinion isn't popular, but I don't like putting a ton of money in a motor if I can run a bigger blower and make more power with more boost on a cheaper engine because engines don't last forever. If you are class racing and limited by blower size, then absolutely you need the most efficient engine combo possible to get everything out of that blower limitation.

Old 12-26-2023, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R

Thanks, I appreciate it!! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-27-2023, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

A lot of good conversation here. But it seems that people act like this thing is running full tilt, max hp all the time. Look at the big picture. How often will an engine or blower. on a streetcar see those blower speeds, really?!
In my case, for my sons car, it might be one night in a month doing small 60-130 pulls across Gandy Bridge.
Oh and BTW, it's stick car
Old 12-27-2023, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SAPPER
A lot of good conversation here. But it seems that people act like this thing is running full tilt, max hp all the time. Look at the big picture. How often will an engine or blower. on a streetcar see those blower speeds, really?!
In my case, for my sons car, it might be one night in a month doing small 60-130 pulls across Gandy Bridge.
Oh and BTW, it's stick car
How often it runs full tilt is irrelevant to this discussion. The fact that it's a stick car is very relevant though as it will make hitting the 1200 rwhp mark being discussed here much easier.

Quick Reply: Going Procharger...