Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Front Mount Intercooler install DONE! "FMIC"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:01 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also like info for the mandrel bends and silicone connectors! I'm going to be doing the same thing to my Camaro in a week or two.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Turbo Addict

If you don't need SS, JC Whitney has mandrel bends in aluminized mild steel fairly cheap. I am getting my silicone from www.hightempsilicone.com.

J, NICE work man! Thanks for all the pics. I wanna see some IAT #'s now.. so hurry up! he he.
What kinda of pusher fans are you running? How is it cooling?
Old 08-02-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow this is cool, thanks for the cool compliments. I just hope this will be able to help some of you guys out. I am no professional mechanic, installer or fabricator by any means, so I am sure anyone else can do the same with similar results. I tried to get this done with as little outlay of cash as possible and just went past my goal by 60 dollars, so that isn't bad for a project like this. Routing the pipes this way saved me from moving my battery to the trunk like others have done. It also kept the piping short and direct. The driverside pipes would have been shorter but we forgot about the HKS till the last minute so it grew a few inches I did have to buy two more bends from NAPA(aluminized steel but what can you do) I bought a 3.0 90 degree bend with 3 inch legs and a 3.5 90 deg with 1inch legs(tb pipe). They were 22 and 29 bucks ea

As for the places for the stainless steel bends and silicone, all three were found on ebay, Mods please let me list them for informational purposes as our sponsors really don't carry this stuff.
Performance Curve:
http://stores.ebay.com/Performance-C...isplayZ2QQtZkm
You guys might have to email them directly to see if they have or can make the SS bends for you guys, I haven't seen them listed again. They ran me 36ea(2)

Lyle Howell for the 4ft 4 ply reinforced silicone was 35 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...me=rvi%3A1%3A1
It says he has 7 left, but he also has 3,2,1 ft sticks too. I have 22-1/2 inches left from my project.

High Temp Silicone I got my transitions from them and a 90 deg reinforced high temp bend from them(s/c outlet connector) I also got a 3.50/4.00 transition and a 3.00/3.50 transition from HTS too. www.hightempsilicone.com

Pongo, just step up now and let your s/c breathe freely

01SCSS, Sick is a perfect way to decribe it

Nasty, Hi Kyle, I am glad you saw them. Shipping took an eternity, but it was only 5 days(Fedex ) The box took a beating from them but the FMIC was fine. I am glad you like the way the pipes are routed and feel free to ask me any questions. I didn't want anything sticking out up top and didn't want to move the battery while having the shortest pipes as possible. I think I came pretty close to that

Bos, Thanks buddy, Damn good is what I shoot for

PSJ, your red Formula was the inspiration to make mine look the way it does. Too bad mine doesn't put the hp/tq numbers out like yours tho

Heath, Thanks for the hosting offer. I'll take you up on that offer if I run out of space. I am using my dads service and mine. I want to get the starting pics reposted as I feel that will give others a good starting point.

F8L Z71, do it do it. Imagine the size of the FMIC you can put on your truck The STS kit should really shine then.

LSs1Power, it should, but I would have to do a camaro to see just how close it is. I am sure the routing of the pipes would be near identical as well as the mounting of the FMIC.

2001WS6Vert you and me both, if not I give up no more hp searching for me.

smokinHawk anytime you want, just send the airline ticket in the mail and I fly right over to do the install, plus you have to feed me too

Tiago, Thanks Man! I had the front of your T/A's pic printed out and laying on the ground for a reference on were the FMIC would sit. Thanks for answering my PM too.

Tim, Good luck and post some pics

RICE ETR My car never gets hot with my Pusher fans, stays @ 205 on the hottest days. Now with a big hole in the front it should stay a lil cooler. I am running the dual 12 inch fans with built in shroud from FAL. I got those from Jegs back when I had a Powerdyne s/c on the car. Put those on and never had a cooling problem again. I have my fans turn on at 176 so they are always on, but like I said it doesn't get hot. They pull some pretty good air throught the front of the car.
If you don't want to order from JC, go down to NAPA they should have what you want in aluminized steel too.

Thanks all.
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 08-02-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:52 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Look great jeremy, cant wait to see the results.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, Kevin. I just hope it was worth it. I want to run 10's already
Old 08-02-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J, looks kick *** man. I was curious about a couple things as well, is that a D or F-1? Any before numbers so you can compare?
Old 08-02-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pewter'00Z28 Thanks, its a D1 that doesn't like to make boost. Hopefully that changes now. I don't have any good dyno runs with the latest tune from NoGo, so no HP/TQ numbers but I do have 1/8mi times to compare. If I get anything lower than 7.40 in the 1/8 I know I picked up power. I will be dynoing it when some extra cash comes my way hopefully sooner than later. It will be going to the track Friday and Saturday. Friday night is your average test and tune and Saturday is a special street legal drags day, special because the idiot Sheriffs dept dropped there LS1 Camaros and bought Mach 1 mustangs to patrol in, and they called out the street racers to the track to run their Mach 1's against streel legal cars. Time to whoop up on some cops
J
Old 08-02-2004, 02:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Frcefed, do you have mass air numbers before and after the FMIC? I just installed a Griffin like PSJ's on my truck, but I'm waiting on a 90 deg elbow to finish it up. The ATI truck intercooler is the same size as both F-body twins put together, so flow should've been roughly the same.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I sure don't. I was outside checking out the car with efilive before I head out on the road and noticed something with my wideband which I think is odd. At idle before the FMIC install. My a/f would sit at 14-15.1-1 and now it sits at 16-18.1-1 at idle. I left it idling at 180 deg for about 10 minutes and the a/f just sat right those points. I use to run a lil fatter at idle. Does this mean anything?
IAT's idling were 88 degs after about 5 minutes. Then my fans came on and they dropped down to 86 lol. I sprayed some water on the FMIC to see what would happen with the fans on, the IATs went down to 82 degrees in a few seconds. That was funny. I am sure with air flowing over this thing that my IATs are going to be real nice.
J
Old 08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
I sure don't. I was outside checking out the car with efilive before I head out on the road and noticed something with my wideband which I think is odd. At idle before the FMIC install. My a/f would sit at 14-15.1-1 and now it sits at 16-18.1-1 at idle. I left it idling at 180 deg for about 10 minutes and the a/f just sat right those points. I use to run a lil fatter at idle. Does this mean anything?
IAT's idling were 88 degs after about 5 minutes. Then my fans came on and they dropped down to 86 lol. I sprayed some water on the FMIC to see what would happen with the fans on, the IATs went down to 82 degrees in a few seconds. That was funny. I am sure with air flowing over this thing that my IATs are going to be real nice.
J
Wow, thats weird! Mine's always sat at 14.6-1 at idle.

I recorded my massflow at 7671 DA last week with the smaller cooler. Tuesday night, I'll have some comparisons with the bigger cooler. Hopefully the DA is close to the same for a good comparison.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jer,
Are we going to have to wait till friday to see how much boost you see now with the FMIC????
Kyle
Old 08-02-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

J - when the air pump kicks on your A/F will look like that. Though after warming up a couple blips of the throttle the car should settle back into 14.7:1

If not you have a problem somewhere.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great Job and pics J I can smell 10's
Old 08-02-2004, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Great job Jeremy. Should run a hell of alot better. I'm sure 10's are in the bag. You can borrow my slicks if you want too. 28x10.5's should help you out. Let me know.

Neal
Old 08-02-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kyle, Yep! I haven't even street tested her yet. I've been checking everything over today with the efilive. All looks good. I have a loose connection on my fans that I have to take care of tomorrow.

Heath, AIR pump whats that? All that good stuff has been disabled, so can't be that. I think I messed up my WBO2 sensor yesterday. I forgot about turning it on while I let the car idle for about 10-15 minutes with some revving action I'm going to remove it and do a fresh air recalibration tomorrow, to see if it changes the a/f reading any. I don't see what could be messed up. Nothing really changed except for the plumbing and FMIC. Maybe my PCM needs to relearn everything since the battery was disconnected for a week???

Granite, Hi Brandon. Thanks! I hope so. I added a rollbar in so that didn't help either
J
Old 08-02-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PNYKILR
Great job Jeremy. Should run a hell of alot better. I'm sure 10's are in the bag. You can borrow my slicks if you want too. 28x10.5's should help you out. Let me know.

Neal
Hi Neal, Good to hear from you I thought you were dead Sure lets throw those meats on it and go for it. Now that I have LS1edit I can change my tire size's and shift points.
Hows the two lil ones doing?
J
Old 08-02-2004, 08:15 PM
7 Second Club

Okay J...let me give you my .02 very nice job. Looking forward to your boost numbers and track times.

I got the SDCE on last weekend but have not had time to tweak everything in but the car see's 10 psi with just a wack of the throttle with no slip. I'm going to keep the Twin IC's since I'm looking for every once of power and the fact the car will be in full street trim for cruise-in's and car shows (and kickin some a$$ every once and awhile )

Check your PM...have some questions and comments on our HKS BOV's. Also see my post for how they turned out.

Good luck and again very nicely done

Mark
Old 08-02-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlwnTA
Okay J...let me give you my .02 very nice job. Looking forward to your boost numbers and track times.

I got the SDCE on last weekend but have not had time to tweak everything in but the car see's 10 psi with just a wack of the throttle with no slip. I'm going to keep the Twin IC's since I'm looking for every once of power and the fact the car will be in full street trim for cruise-in's and car shows (and kickin some a$$ every once and awhile )

Check your PM...have some questions and comments on our HKS BOV's. Also see my post for how they turned out.

Good luck and again very nicely done

Mark
Mark what size blower pulley did u go with?? 408 right?
Thanks Kyle
Old 08-02-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Mark, you truly have a bad ride on your hands. I think most of my problem with low boost readings were the digital gauges I had. So the ol autometer mechanical gauge goes back in before friday. I'm glad there is another happy SDCE spring tensioned user out there. I cant stress that these set ups work wonders with the ATI kit.
I'll be checking my PM's now.
J
Old 08-02-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I want to know about the pulley too

Quick Reply: Front Mount Intercooler install DONE! "FMIC"