Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Front Mount Intercooler install DONE! "FMIC"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 01:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Too much thinking going on here, there is no speculation on if this intercooler will work better than the twins or not. With the same edit file that I was using for the twins, my car pulled a better 1/8 and 1/4mi time with this intercooler in conditions that were way worse than the chilly November air that I acheived my last best time in. WOT IAT's went down from a nice 25 deg's in summer conditions. The placement of the intercooler, size of the FMIC and size, construction of the IC pipes all help gain over the CRAPPY ATI TWIN CORES. With ATI you have @12ft of 2.5inch IC routing, most of it radiator hoses that aren't the best at getting boost to the engine, then you have the plenum, which was a turbulence box, ATI could have done this better, and the small inadequate twin intercoolers, this of course on the F-body kit.

Don't let the price **** you up, this intercooler normally sells for 500-600 bucks(I paid 530 shipped), but the market was recently flooded with them, the reason you see them selling for 275 on ebay from about 10 different vendors. I had no control over this, but let this FMIC's specs speak for themselves
.2psi loss at 15psi, and 1000cfm, supports 800hp= perfect for my application. IF you need a name brand and a big price tag go for it, get a griffin or a bell or a precision core, or wait for the price to go back up on this one.

With this FMIC I could fit 3 ATI twin cores across it and have a lot of core left on the FMIC to make up for the thickness. It is the same bar and plate design with better cast tanks instead of those sheetmetal tanks of the ATI. Specs on this core are 23x12x3

Like I said don't let price mess you up, spend as much as you want or need to. I wasn't maxing my 42.5lb injectors with the twin ATI's and the same tune. I now max them at 6000rpm with the same tune, same SDCE set up same everything. Guess I gained some power huh?
J
I agree, too much thinking going on here. Frcefed98 maxed out his MAF 1000 rpm earlier, and I gained 11 lb/min and got 50 degrees lower IAT's with no other changes. If our intercoolers flow less, then why did we see such massive gains?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed end of discussion

new guy feel free to start your own post now.
Oh yeah, taking my cheap FMIC pics down for good Shows over, no more ideas or help here.
J
Old 08-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Teching In

If you guys want to get defensive that is fine by all means get a little defensive. I never tore apart anyone besides posting specs on intercoolers and the designs that change CFM flow. I also never said anyone made less power, both went big on their intercooler size so I hope it would gain something for the better. If you want to call me a new guy to that is fine, I do not post here since I have an LT1, guess that makes me bad to. Too much thought process I guess is an evil, what was I thinking. I will leave you LS1 guys be. Happy motoring.

I just thought I would post some insight on the matter of designs and flow numbers.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

New guy, not defensive at all and yes overthinking something is an evil sometimes, my friend does it all the time - over complicates anything he does and his car shows it.
*edit* you caught me on a bad day, sorry about the harshness I'm usually laid back and willing to help anyone or listen to them. Should have just said i've seen positive gains already from my FMIC.

Last edited by frcefed98; 08-15-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Teching In

If I ever get a digital cam that works I will post how my FMIC setup looks but I am far from getting it done at this point since I am piecing things together and waiting on my IC.

I am the farthest guy from over complicating things. I do all the work for myself and know that simple stupid works best as long as it is the right part or product for the application.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

LJ93 is not over thinking things, he's just trying to size the intercooler efficiently. At least thats what it seems to me, maximum heat transfer with minimal pressure loss to maintain high flow. All in an effort to increase power

What I am curious about is what pressure differential they are using across those intercoolers to get thier flow rating. 28"? Pressure drop? I believe with the flow rating you could calculate the rough pressure drop across it, with some crude assumptions of course.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LJ93Z28GM
I hate to possibly bring bad news but you might be loosing some boost with that intercooler
Merlin ie Frank, got to beat a dead horse huh. This stemmed from the statement above. You know personally that my car has gained power from this FMIC alone. You also know that I went from 12 to a little over 15psi with the swap from the ATI twins to this FMIC alone. You know that the car went faster in the 1/4 mi than it has done all summer long with the swap of this intercooler alone. Like I said too much thinking, the proof has been stated with times and efilive logs in a previous post or two from me and blackblown, that an increase in airflow and hp has happened from me and black blown installing this FMIC on my car and a griffin FMIC on his. Size the IC for your engine/blower/hp requirements and you should be fine.
Now let it die or start a new post, I need to get some other questions answered without this popping back up all the time.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LJ93Z28GM
I hate to possibly bring bad news but you might be loosing some boost with that intercooler. I first too looked into that exact one on Ebay that price of $275 is a nice turn on but if you talk to people at ATI or vortech they will tell you the wrongs of that unit.

You are pushing air across a unit that has a core length of 24 inches. That is a large area to push across without slowing down the volume of air or velocity.

Now if you look at the ATI 3 core race or 3 core unit you will see that the core is 27 inches long but they are pushing the air across the fins that is only 6 inches tall so you do not have any noticeable looses. It flows into the end tanks first and then distributes air across the shorter route. Each unit in the pics have a core that is only 6 inches tall nothing close to the 24 inches that you are encountering.

http://www.procharger.com/intercoolers.shtml

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
If he is loosing the velocity through as you state then his core will have a more time to transfer heat thus dropping intake temperatures. Obviously bigger isnt always better but there is a happy median.

Quick Reply: Front Mount Intercooler install DONE! "FMIC"