Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Over Boost.... Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KAOS
still no luck have tried every configuration that i know of with the controller, waste gate and turbo. took waste gate apart, at least as far as you can while still on the car and every thing seems to be loose and nothing seems to be stuck. now what do i do, any suggestions would be great is there any other gate i can use on this kit
Try to call Rob, f-tard
Old 08-10-2004, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Kaos, I've been SUPER busy the last few days and I was out of town all weekend. I was going to call you today but I guess I don't have your number anymore.

I'm about 90% sure the wastegate valve is "stuck" closed. Since your kit was sitting for a while, they tend to get some surface rust on the valve itself. Which then in turn tends to rust to the seat of the wastegate and "sticks" closed. Causing boost to climb uncontrollably.

First, rule out the controller by by-passing it all together. (you may have already done this, but I will cover it again to be sure) You should only see a max of 5-6lbs of boost with NO BOOST CREEP AT ALL if you connect everything as I describe:

Important Note: The HKS Wastegate is actually mounted upside down on our kit. Which means that the "Top" of the wastegate is actually the side CLOSEST TO THE GROUND. And the "Bottom" of the wastegate is actually the port on the SIDE OF THE WASTEGATE.

1. Run a vacuum line directly from the "Bottom" port on the wastegate, to the brass vacuum fitting located on the turbo compressor cover.
2. The "Top" of the wastegate will be vented to the atmosphere. (don't hook anything up to it)
3. Drive the car and check boost. Should hold steady at no more than 6psi.

If it doesn't hold steady:

1. Use a rubber mallet or plastic dead-blow hammer and with medium force, smack on the wastegate. Hit it on every side of the wastegate you can reach.
2. Spend a few more minutes beating on it.
3. Drive the car again.
4. If that doesn't fix it, you're going to have to pull the wastegate off and remove the rust from the valve.

Let us know.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the WG spring is stuck closed. This is what I told Daniel that it probably was.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have tried hooking directly up to the wastegate from the turbo, and still i get creep. i took the wastegate apart as far as i could do on the car and things seem to be free. though im not sure how the valve and stem are connected to the diaphragm, or however it goes together. i will try doing a little tapping but just wondering if anybody has ever had one of these gauges go bad in a short time. it reads vac correctly, i assume, just wondering if it could be reading boost wrong. just a thought
Old 08-10-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

*EDIT*

i think i just found out my problem.

any1 else notice the problem?

Last edited by SC-MECHAM-WS6; 08-10-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, your WG is mounted wrong, it's backwards. The bottom opening on the gate is your inlet the side opening is the outlet.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Yep, I'd say that's a problem.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

rob, i dont know how old kaos' (warbird's) kit is.. but do you think it is possible that he has the manifold with the -too small wastegate tubing? just a thought it would be easy to measure and rule it out.

kaos, you can actuate the wastegate with a bicyle pump with a psi gauge mounted on it.. as he says you should see it start moving 5-6 psi. when you push air straight into the side port.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Nope, he has the right WG tubing. Keep in mind, this problem just started. It hasn't always been a problem.
The wastegate is stuck closed, that's all. Poor design on HKS's part IMHO. Unfortunately, we had never heard of this problem until it happened to us.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rob Raymer
Nope, he has the right WG tubing. Keep in mind, this problem just started. It hasn't always been a problem.
The wastegate is stuck closed, that's all. Poor design on HKS's part IMHO. Unfortunately, we had never heard of this problem until it happened to us.
Yep, it's stuck closed.

Can those be rebuilt by HKS or by someone that buys the replacement parts?

Quick Reply: Over Boost.... Need Help