Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Largest Blower experience with Vortech Aftercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Largest Blower experience with Vortech Aftercooler?

Wondering how much of a restriction my Vortech Aftercooler will be if I upgrade to a T-Trim. Am getting nothing but run around talk from Vortech.

The aftercooler used in the F-Body G-Trim kit is the same as the Y-Body S-Trim kit. It should work with the T-Trim even if it restricts flow a bit.

Anyone have experience with a T-Trim or above and this Aftercooler/Power Cooler? I don't want to convert to any other intercooler setup. Just want to know what I can expect to see continuing with this setup and a T-Trim.

Last edited by MelloYellow; 08-11-2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey its me again. The inlet for the aftercooler is about 1/4" or so smaller than the T's outlet. I've thought about modifying the inlet and maybe also the outlet and the pipe from the aftercooler outlet to the T.B.. SC-Mecham said that RMCR was looking into seeing if the Precision Turbo cooler would fit in place of the Vortech unit. From the pictures I've seen I would say no (This is the unit that is used on the Turbotech race kit). I don't know about the clearance on a Vette but if you could get that unit in there it would be the way to go. I'd do the whole system with the heat exchanger w/fan and an ice box. My IAT's during a run go from 90 to 160-165. I guess you could also look at a FMIC though the tubing would be kinda long and across the engine compartment. I will probably be looking into a trunk mounted icebox and still use the Vortech aftercooler.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RMCR, a local company, is using the same aftercooler that we have on our Vortech kits. They use this with both the S-Trim and T-Trim head units. I am going to go by there today so I will ask Mark at RMCR his thoughts on this.

Mark

Originally Posted by MelloYellow
Wondering how much of a restriction my Vortech Aftercooler will be if I upgrade to a T-Trim. Am getting nothing but run around talk from Vortech.

The aftercooler used in the F-Body G-Trim kit is the same as the Y-Body S-Trim kit. It should work with the T-Trim even if it restricts flow a bit.

Anyone have experience with a T-Trim or above and this Aftercooler/Power Cooler? I don't want to convert to any other intercooler setup. Just want to know what I can expect to see continuing with this setup and a T-Trim.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they got a website?
Old 08-18-2004, 09:02 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen pictures of SC-mechams T-trim setup and it seemed to work fine for him just call RMCR.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VortechC5
RMCR, a local company, is using the same aftercooler that we have on our Vortech kits. They use this with both the S-Trim and T-Trim head units. I am going to go by there today so I will ask Mark at RMCR his thoughts on this.
Mark
Any thoughts from RMCR?

Vortech Engineer seemed to think S-Trim kit would show a .5 psi loss and a T-Trim should expect a 1-1.5psi loss thru their F/Y Body kit Aftercooler (same).

They rated the Aftercooler in Horsepower, like 600 Crank or something, which seems a lame way to rate an Aftercooler. Was thinking it'd be CFM or such. Closest useable info I could get from him were references to potential psi loss.

Last edited by MelloYellow; 08-19-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

my thoughts on a S or T-Trim with the aftercooler that comes with the kit.

even with my T-Trim at 11-12psi...after a run i could still put my hand on the inlet piping before the TB. granted it was warm...but not considerably hot.

i would put an ice box in the back for a bigger water resouvoir and use the pump that TTi sells for their race kit. That pump had no problem pulling water from the back to the front. the little vortech pump did require some help.

i would also upgrade the radiator cooler for the aftercooler too. just like the one TTi uses in their race kit also.

Old 08-18-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have Marks Vortech kit or the kit Vortech designed?

Mark
Old 08-19-2004, 12:08 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,207 Likes on 773 Posts

600 crank hp? Works for the stock blower but a T Trim is rated to make up to 825fwhp. What power level are you shooting for?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

SC-Mech, thx for the radiator/fan ideas.

PSJ, mmm as I learned more about the blower RPM's with 28 Cog pulley (via secondary C5 6-rib jackshaft, confusing calc) and saw where I ended up on the compressor map. Then started thinking about a T-Trim upgrade down the road which led into everything else.

I seem to be hitting a bottleneck around 580-600rwhp with the S-Trim which is right where their Matrix shows it's max at 680fwhp. I guess I didn't expect the Vortech matrix to be so dead on. Also didn't expect to max the S-Trim at 6000rpm where my dyno peaks a bit early. Need to spin blower up to 54,000rpm. S-Trim starts falling out of efficiency fast around 45,000 and is max cfm at 50k/6k motor rpm. The T-Trim has a better compressor map match for my final engine flow #'s.

Should be happy with 600rwhp, but I think my motor/fuel will support 650rwhp. Wouldn't mind having 650rwhp. Next time I break the drivetrain or need to send blower in for maintenance will upgrade to a T-Trim volute + impeller.

Also didn't know it was possible to make a T-Trim V2 SQ hybrid at time I planned setup. Wanted to keep a stealth blower and didn't want a V1 T-Trim.

650-700rwhp Max goal. Think I will run into fuel probs above 675rwhp.

Should hit 600rwhp when we dyno next. WB sensor broke last week (replaced today) and Tuner is on vaca this week.

Last edited by MelloYellow; 08-19-2004 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I don't think the stock aftercooler will support 700rwhp on pump gas. I know some Mustangs are doing 600-650rwhp with S Trims not sure if they are on kill or what. Plus what are your IAT's?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, I ran out of day and did not make it down there. I should be able to get over there today. They are only 10 minutes from my house.

A buddy has RMCR's C5 kit on his car. He's running 9psi out of a T-Trim, through the standard aftercooler, into an iron 408, at this altitude (7000 feet). It seems to work fine. It looks just like the setup on jbsblownc5. Another friend had his Z06 at RMCR right now getting the same thing except with an amununum block and a quiet T-Trim (he read your post about getting that done).
Mark

Any thoughts from RMCR?

Vortech Engineer seemed to think S-Trim kit would show a .5 psi loss and a T-Trim should expect a 1-1.5psi loss thru their F/Y Body kit Aftercooler (same).

They rated the Aftercooler in Horsepower, like 600 Crank or something, which seems a lame way to rate an Aftercooler. Was thinking it'd be CFM or such. Closest useable info I could get from him were references to potential psi loss.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems to be dead. It used to be http://www.rmcrperformance.com

Originally Posted by Air21
they got a website?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I currently have the Vortech kit with an SC-Trim head unit. I have already talked to Mark about converting to his setup. He said that he would work up a price for me.

Have you had your setup a couple of years? I may have talked to you at a Grocery Warehouse cruise night a couple of summers ago. If it wasn't you there is another black WS6 in town with a T-Trim on it...

Originally Posted by SC-MECHAM-WS6
Do you have Marks Vortech kit or the kit Vortech designed?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you had your setup a couple of years? I may have talked to you at a Grocery Warehouse cruise night a couple of summers ago. If it wasn't you there is another black WS6 in town with a T-Trim on it...
yeah that had to of been me...i was only WS6 in town with a T-Trim.

we probably have met or crossed paths, especially since you are a customer of Marks.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

T trim with 9 psi? That's fine and dandy but those cars are not making 700rwhp.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope they sure aren't. If I somehow implied that they were I didn't mean to.

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
T trim with 9 psi? That's fine and dandy but those cars are not making 700rwhp.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I made 746rwhp on mostly 110L, but I think that I could have made 675rwhp or so on 93 pump gas. I will probably experiment at some point. I am running a Griffin FMIC. I think at 600rwhp the Aftercooler is maxed out as far as value.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is true that I haven't seen anyone with a T-Trim and that aftercooler running over 600rwhp yet. What is the right way to measure an aftercooler? A CFM rating? psi loss experieinced? IAT measurements?

Haven't measured my IAT's just yet, but am seeing no detonation. Will be doing data-logging when I get the car back. Looks like Monday for final dyno tuning if all goes well.

Would be nice if I could hit 650rwhp with that unit. I don't want to change it's physical location and am out of room. Guess I would see increases of 1000 -> 1150cfm, 3psi gain and 50rwhp with the T-Trim.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went by RMCR today and talked to Mark. He said that the aftercooler that we are using and is the same on that he usesin his C5 and Impala SS kits is rated for use with up to a T-Trim head unit. He also said that he as used that aftercooler with up to 15psi of boost.

I am looking forward to hearing how your dyno comes out. This winter I am planning a very similar setup to what you have. I ordered a set of AFRs during Thunder Racings sale last Friday. The only thing keeping me from ordering a shortblock right now is that I am waiting to see if the LS2 block is usable in our setups.

In terms of IAT, I have an IAT sensor plumbed into my aftercooler. I did this so that I could monitor temps under boost and so that the PCM would pull a little bit of timing if the IAT got really warm. I have only logged data once since doing this. On that day I saw a max IAT of 106 under 6.5psi of boost. I think that the ambient temp that day was about 70 degrees.

Mark

Is true that I haven't seen anyone with a T-Trim and that aftercooler running over 600rwhp yet. What is the right way to measure an aftercooler? A CFM rating? psi loss experieinced? IAT measurements?

Haven't measured my IAT's just yet, but am seeing no detonation. Will be doing data-logging when I get the car back. Looks like Monday for final dyno tuning if all goes well.

Would be nice if I could hit 650rwhp with that unit. I don't want to change it's physical location and am out of room. Guess I would see increases of 1000 -> 1150cfm, 3psi gain and 50rwhp with the T-Trim.

Last edited by VortechC5; 08-19-2004 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Largest Blower experience with Vortech Aftercooler?