Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

You ATI guys know about fans and radiators right? couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default You ATI guys know about fans and radiators right? couple questions

ok im looking to replace my radiator and fan set up. clearence is a concern overheating is also, since im going to keep this for a steet car.

for the radiator, can i use a single row, or should i only use a double row. 1" or 1.25 "?

next for fans are there any good thin mount fans that youd recomend. when selecting a fan how many CFM should i look for?
what is th estock fan rated at?
Old 08-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to contact speed inc to ask how well our Griffin two row rads are going into the 4thgen F-bods. Also we have an SLP replacement rad i am working on right now which is a single row just over 1.50" thick compaired to the slp at around 1-5/16 thick cores. We also have the identical oil cooler as the slp rad accept it carries 6 plates instead of 4. These radiators will accept factory fan shroud and fans which arent that bad.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

it needs to be custom sized about 28w x 17h
im just trying to get a feel what i should go with, single core, double core?
how thick?
and what fans to use.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
how thick?
and what fans to use.
Flex a lite has a dual pusher unit that I just installed on my project. It fits pretty well in front of the radiator. It has two 11" fans in a really thin shroud. Fits on the AC exchanger perfectly. Check Summit PN FLX-240. I went ahead and sealed the AC and the radiaitor together while I was at it.

Jeremy (Forcefed) uses it on his car. He lives in Alb so it's pretty hot there.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Go with the highest fans you can find (Spal has the best afaik)

Also make a custom shroud sealed to the rad. You'll need two fans minimum. Factory fans are rated for 3500cfm

Old 08-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Launching!

how thick?
and what fans to use.
What hp are you looking at and how much room are you looking to have thickness wise? 2 row 1.00= 2.215, thick 2 row 1.25= 2.68 and 2 row 1.50" will equal I have two fans in front of me that will pull almost 3500cfm over 266 square inches of core. fan thickness is roughly 3.40" deep. The should fit inside the area you stated.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

what is the advantage or how much advantage for a 1 core vrs two core?
what is the benifit of sealing your radiator with a fan shroud doesnt it performance when the fans arnt on?

I went ahead and sealed the AC and the radiaitor together while I was at it.
what does that do?

last time i measured i had about 8" total thickness to work with including the a/c condenser.

i think im going with a puller fan.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Launching!

It might be possible to squeeze two 14" spal fans in the but i am not sure about it i will try to do this in cad when i get a chance. Honestly I dont know how that flex-a-lite crap worked for hell on wheels but we have had nothing but problems with that brand of fan. I just checked and the 14" fans will only pull 10 more cfm each. This will now cover 308 square inches of core without the shroud but will slow down the velocity of air considerably.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Note; the 13 and 14 spal fans are still right at stock fan assembly cfm. We rate our 2 row 1" rads at up to 450 hp and our 2 row 1.25 rads up to 600 hp and our 2 row 1.50 are used on nextel cup cars but remember they are at WOT and they have alot of pressure in the nose of the car to keep velocity. Odly enoug PSJ's car works fine with an oem setup not even SLP stuff. I would like to here from him after he gets into some more street driving.

Last edited by JIMMYZZ28; 08-16-2004 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

My car runs fine on the street I don't have the radiator blocked by anything and I still run a factory air dam.

Harlan is running a two core radiator. I did have a little coolant leakage at the track but my catch can was broken. I also did not have the right cap on there. If the car has any issues I may upgrade.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly I dont know how that flex-a-lite crap worked for hell on wheels but we have had nothing but problems with that brand of fan.
I've been running the FAL "crap" dual 12 shrouded set up on my car for 6 years without incident or breakdowns....with the stock LS1 radiator???. This is in the SW desert lol. I have my fans wired so they both turn on high and the programming has them come on at 180 deg. My car stays cool in this heat and has never overheated. This also runs the fans at max speed and like I said its been this way for 6 years, so take it for what is worth. I also have dual FAL set up on my 64 G.T.O. while that set up is only 3 years old it hasn't had a hiccup yet and the old goat hasn't overheated since.

Is a spal set up worth it? Hell yeah, but my FALs won't get replaced by them until they fail.
Smokin, SPAL is the best out there, you won't be disappointed with em, but there are alternatives,
Jeremy with his crappy ghetto formula
Old 08-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by frcefed98
I've been running the FAL "crap" dual 12 shrouded set up on my car for 6 years without incident or breakdowns....with the stock LS1 radiator???. This is in the SW desert lol. I have my fans wired so they both turn on high and the programming has them come on at 180 deg. My car stays cool in this heat and has never overheated. This also runs the fans at max speed and like I said its been this way for 6 years, so take it for what is worth. I also have dual FAL set up on my 64 G.T.O. while that set up is only 3 years old it hasn't had a hiccup yet and the old goat hasn't overheated since.

Is a spal set up worth it? Hell yeah, but my FALs won't get replaced by them until they fail.
Smokin, SPAL is the best out there, you won't be disappointed with em, but there are alternatives,
Jeremy with his crappy ghetto formula
Seriously it is hard to go with to something else when it works great for you (FAL fans). With the amount of vloume we go through in fans SPAL would be the ones with less issues and the FAL fans would be the worst as far as issues with the fans. There really isnt a big price difference to us anyway.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

what is the advantage or how much advantage for a 1 core vrs two core?
what is the benifit of sealing your radiator with a fan shroud doesnt it performance when the fans arnt on?

what does that do?

last time i measured i had about 8" total thickness to work with including the a/c condenser.

i think im going with a puller fan.
If you look at the AC exchanger and the radiator there is as gap in between them. Anywhere air can get out it will. That is why most modern systems have a shroud. So the air doesn't just flow around the radiator. So if you can seal the gaps the air is forced through the exchanger elements. If you design the system right there will be enough flow through the fan openings to cool the engine. Usually at highway speeds. In traffic or on the staging lanes is when you need the fans to pull or push air.
As for the "crap" FAL fans..I know what I've seen. Albuquerque is no joke for cooling systems. Heat plus about 18% less air available due to altitude. That's why you see dozens of trucks and cars on the road overheating in the summer. Jeremy's setup works, no one can argue it. Last time I looked I couldn't find a dual SPAL setup that was thin enough and had a shroud. Sure, you can mount a couple of single SPAL units on the radiator, but without a shroud I think you will be lucky to get the flow you need through the radiator. So you end up having to buy pricey SPAL fans and then you have to fabricate a shroud for them to pull the CFM they are designed for. Sure the fans are designed to flow but getting that air through the radiator is the key.
If you have room to mount pullers with a thicker core radiator I would definitely do it that way. I dont have the room for that so I needed to put together a pusher.

Ok I'm done, good luck.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:39 AM
Launching!

When you go with a thicker core you will need to make sure the fan package you buy can operate at a higher static this is usually where lower end cost fans suffer. This is why you cant find a spal fan shallow enough to fit where you need it to go because they are designed to operate at higher static without issues. As for the shroud it will also keep the air in the engine compartment from being pulled back through the core. Next regardless of what cooling package you put on your car it should be the last thing you want to be cheap with especially on this forum (high hp aluminum engines). So pricey shouldnt be the issue..........
Old 08-17-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm running the big CAS radiator, and using a 2500cfm push style Spal, single 16".....it does the job, I have an iron block and it the summer heat the hottest it gets is 190 w/the stock thermo
Old 08-17-2004, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

So Jimmy, you guys are selling a two core radiator that will work with stock fans? I wasn't sure.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Yes John, I haven't herd from the guys at Moore Performance or Speed inc. So they should be no problems right now it is just the 2 row 1.00" cores @2.215".
Old 08-17-2004, 12:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

With stock fans?
Old 08-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Yes stock bracketry is included and will hold the C-5 or 4th GEN F-bod fanshroud assembly.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jimmy,
do you have any pics?

Quick Reply: You ATI guys know about fans and radiators right? couple questions