Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

alky tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default alky tuning

how does methanol affect your tuning on a wideband? I'm trying to tune for 11.5-11.7:1 BUT I have seen it as lean as 13:1 when spraying methanol and got no kr. It seems to skew my values that the wideband shows. what numberdo i shoot for?
Old 08-24-2004, 10:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question...ordered my alchycontrol kit today. What kit did you go with?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:44 AM
9 Second Club

i bought an older SMC control box...tank.. and pump off a friend for 50 bux. I used the factory windshield washer resevoir for the tank and just enlarged the hole to make the alky pump fit and sealed it up with a bunch or red rtv. Works fine and doesn't leak.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Turbo Addict

definitely a good question. Last time I dynoed my AFR went down into the low 10's when the alky came on, 4psi, but the car never bogged... then it goes back up to 11.1-3 or so by redline, according to my incar WB. But I have wondered if the car should be running richer than mid 11's because of the methanol's stoich being 4:1.... it is isn't it?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

From what Ive read, the lean effect is where the additional power comes from. Supposedly it is still safe due to the methanol's additional ability to supress detonation and add more octane. Snow Performace has a little info on it. What do I know, I dont think I can even install it myself though.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:18 AM
9 Second Club

ok my reading says that your wideband will be off .1-.2 so i think we are ok. Now tuning they say to get your highest boost with 93 octane with no kr...then increase boost as you add alky and retune a/f if necessary. Now for me with a fixed amount of boost, they say I should increase timing while using as little alky as possible with no kr. This is all from turbo buick guys.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
definitely a good question. Last time I dynoed my AFR went down into the low 10's when the alky came on, 4psi, but the car never bogged... then it goes back up to 11.1-3 or so by redline, according to my incar WB. But I have wondered if the car should be running richer than mid 11's because of the methanol's stoich being 4:1.... it is isn't it?

I think the issue is the alky is throwing off the wb readings. alky's read out numbers will be different than gas, since you sending both through the sensor your wb and giving a combined read out. Unless you knew the exsact gas to alky ratio, not sure you could figure out whats really going on.

mark
Old 08-25-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

My plan was to get my AFR since I added headers. Put on the 12lb pulley and add alky until there is no KR. Once Im there, see how much timing I can add without getting any KR. I know I may run a little rich when the alky sprays, but I assumed I'd still be in a safe range. Am I not doing this the right way??
Thanks
Old 08-25-2004, 01:01 PM
9 Second Club

alky made mine way rich...but i will run it tomorrow (dry out) without alky and with at same psi and see where my a/f is
Old 08-25-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

The buick guys just use their knock and egt sensors to tune with the alky.

(rough example, what tuning methods were used:
if they run (x) psi on pump gas with (x) degrees of time= (y) egt's, (I'm pretty sure it's usually 1560 or so)

they add the alky and bump boost and timing--(X+1,2,3 ect) and (y+3,5,7) monitoring knock and try to get back to the orginal = (y) egt

That's how Steve at SMC or Julio with alkycontrol (can't remember which) explained it to me. That probobly does help you a whole lot because you're using the wb, but just wanted to share.

Later,
Dave
Old 08-25-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Cablebandit . . . you wouldn't have pics of your setup would you? I want to move my SMC to the front from the trunk, but the tank won't fit anywhere, so I'd like to use the WW reservoir as well. So you just opened up the hole where the lid/cap normally goes, and stuck the pump in there? Does the low-level indicator still work? I assume it has to be sealed up good to build pressure? Did you disconnect anything else from the tank, or are you still using it for the wipers also?

- Dug
Old 08-25-2004, 03:01 PM
9 Second Club

no pics but you got the picture. Took off the tank and drilled out the hole big enuff for the bottom of the pump to fit in it and gooked it up with red rtv. That is so it doesn't leak around the hole. AHHH......(reread your post) i drilled out the hole where the factory resevoir pump goes in...not the cap. my pump looks like a typical walbro so it fits in there fine. Obviously I cant use it for the wipers now
Old 08-26-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks cable! I wonder how difficult it would be to be able to use both ( ie. have another area for the alky pump to go in )?

- Dug
Old 08-27-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are a few pics of my alky setup i am going to be running.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/378058/9

Quick Reply: alky tuning