Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Y do you need Methanol

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Y do you need Methanol

I am trying to learn as much as i can before i diside on doing a turbo set up. It will be on a forged short block. 9.5CR i want to run 13-15psi. Y would i need to run methonal. Also do i need to O ring the block or can i just run studs and a metal gasket. Any idea on how much power i will make. I will be building the short block nomater what just need to figure out if i want to spray and pray or turbo and blow.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

You don't NEED methanol per say.

With a great intercooler and a proper fuel system you can go quite far. Try pushing it and you'll need race gas.

Methanol is for those people who wanna push it just a lil farther and not have to use race gas. In the long run it is much cheaper and easier to run meth injection than run race gas mixtures for street driving and you don't have to change your tuning between street and race.

Another side benifit is the extra cooling you get from the methanol, but I feel that the extra octane is the biggest benifit.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

So all it realy does is up the Octane? Thanks man.

Also what if i did a dry ice intercooler. I would put the intercooler in the car inside of a box and but water/alky so the water does not feeze at 0. Put Dry ice in the water and get the water realy fing cold. Would this be better than the methanol per say. I dont want to have to put to tanks in the car.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:13 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I'm not good with water/air intercooling setups although in race applications I see great potential. In daily driversI feel they are alot of hastle and wont provide the gains seen by air/air once the water has soaked up a bunch of heat.

If you are ok with all the plumbing needed to run that kind of setup in the car go for it. The general idea would definately keep things cool but may end up messy and wouldn't you have to vent the system do to the dry ice vapors?
Old 08-29-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes i will have to vent it. I would have to cut 4 holes in the floor of the car.
1. IN from the turbo to the intercooler
2. Out from the intercooler to the motor
3. Drain for the water.
4. Air vent for the dry ice. All of this would be done in the truck i think. I would a seal bulk head encase i have a blow out.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use it for it's cooling properties. I don't NEED it but I think it keeps my summer IATs down to levels that are comparable to winter.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Hey Cable,

What are your befor and after IATs? I'm really curious how much cooling you get from your setup.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would go lower on the compression around 8:1. Then size your blower or turbo to flow the cfm you want. (Look at the maps)

"reliable" 650+RWHP on pump gas will be possible with the right setup

Old 08-29-2004, 07:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my IAT sensor is before the alky si I don't get before/after but I do notice the lack of kr where I have it with the alky off
Old 08-29-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goober35
So all it realy does is up the Octane? Thanks man.

Also what if i did a dry ice intercooler. I would put the intercooler in the car inside of a box and but water/alky so the water does not feeze at 0. Put Dry ice in the water and get the water realy fing cold. Would this be better than the methanol per say. I dont want to have to put to tanks in the car.
How about instead of pissing around with all that retarded ****, build the motor right for boost to begin with and run 8.5:1 compression instead of 9.5:1 compression. Problem solved instantly, 15 psi on pump gas will run fine, you don't have to dick around with a gay dry ice intercooler, or any methanol injection, or any other crap like that.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:15 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Jerry
(funny sig) yeah I should have my car back on the road in no time wanna meet somewhere between GA and Texas and play.....heheheh lol alky kit will be here next week......

Originally Posted by cablebandit
my IAT sensor is before the alky si I don't get before/after but I do notice the lack of kr where I have it with the alky off

Quick Reply: Y do you need Methanol