Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC going in.... *PIC'S*..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Very nice, did you keep the front bumper support for safety? I had tabs welded to my Griffin FMIC so I could mount the FMIC directly to the bumper brackets.

I just followed how FRCEFED did in his pic's and it turned out awsome.... thank god i have friends with lots of tools.
Kyle
Old 09-04-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great man! Can't wait to see the results.
Tom
Old 09-04-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

PSJ, I retained the bumper support because it gave the FMIC something sturdy to mount to while giving me the option to remove it at will. I didn't want to weld it to the bumper support mounts as it would have been shitty if something went through the FMIC or I had to take it off any reason. This way the FMIC can be removed at will by taking off the 4 bolts and popping it out of the way. So repairs can be done easily to the car and to the FMIC if it got damaged in anyway(road debris, angry ricer, small animal etc...)

Kyle, how much was the shirt, I'll call tuesday. I think he might be closed on monday since its a three day weekend.
J
Old 09-04-2004, 08:42 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Awesome man! You'll love it

BTW. There was about a 2psi loss through that setup on a turbo car/truck. On the STS kit our wastegate is located on the turbo so any loss through the intercooler shows up on the boost guage and the base setting for our turbo is 6psi and now I can only get about 4-4.5psi.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Awesome man! You'll love it

BTW. There was about a 2psi loss through that setup on a turbo car/truck. On the STS kit our wastegate is located on the turbo so any loss through the intercooler shows up on the boost guage and the base setting for our turbo is 6psi and now I can only get about 4-4.5psi.

Thanks man... when ya hitting the track and know for sure what yours runs now???
Kyle
Old 09-04-2004, 09:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Thanks man... when ya hitting the track and know for sure what yours runs now???
Kyle
Damn track was closed due to high winds and tons of dust on the track. They didn't buy it when I told them I'd just run in 4wd the whole way so dust didn't matter Hahaha

I'm pretty confident that 12.5 at least is doable but I will need nice cool temps. Coolest thing is I can still remove the passenger seat (65lb), tailgate (45lb), less gas (had a full tank), lean AFR out 1 full point (I'm at 10.5 avg.) AND add boost if I really wanted to since I have not even started using the methanol. I would say if I was willing to push it I could get an 11sec NP in 60deg or less temps.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dam kyle, you mean that you car is not in tommys garage this time. let me know when it is all done so we can go to the track and try out our new combos. mine should be done i a couple of weeks.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by taqwache
Dam kyle, you mean that you car is not in tommys garage this time. let me know when it is all done so we can go to the track and try out our new combos. mine should be done i a couple of weeks.
Cool Steve will do...............
Kyle
Old 09-05-2004, 05:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Kyle, how much was the shirt, I'll call tuesday. I think he might be closed on monday since its a three day weekend.
J

$15 for the shirt..... not bad...... Yeah i think he said they were finishing them up now.... he went to look at them on Thurs and they will be ready to ship this following monday.
Kyle
Old 09-05-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Deckhand
Yea, for some reason he wasn't wearing a wife-beater.. musta been in the washer
Damn, I just noticed that! HAHAHA What's up with that bro?

Still looks good, I may end up making my trip down to H-town sooner than we thought, I'll let you know though.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Banned

I dont know if F8L Z71 has any pics of my car, but when I just did mine, I actually cut out all of the front support bumper and welded in a support beam across the top that was alot thicker. This allowed me to relocate the OBX IC higher than the bumper support would allow me. I wanted the piping outlets to come as close to the bottom of the support as possible. So by stacking some brackets and welding the support brace on that, it gave it more room. Plus the IC wotn even move with the size of the beam.

Rick
Old 09-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Banned

ok, here are some pics.

front mount with bumper
support bar
piping
piping

Enjoy.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hawk179
ok, here are some pics.

front mount with bumper
support bar
piping
piping

Enjoy.

Thanks for the pics man.... so it sits about 1/2" higher with the way you welded it?? Just checking so ill know were mine sits because i havent put the front clip on yet with the FMIC on yet. Is that a Silicone 90 degree elbow out of the TB????? Do you have any more pics?? If you do can you PM or email them to me??? itlxlr8@hotmail.com I havent started fabing up the piping yet and i need all the help i can get. Thanks for the pics.
Kyle
Old 09-05-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hawk179
ok, here are some pics.

front mount with bumper
support bar
piping
piping

Enjoy.

All most forgot.... you are only using only two bolts to hold the whole IC in place?????
Thanks again
Kyle
Old 09-05-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kinda looks like there is only two bolts holding it up, you would think it would flex some with only those two holding it in place. I would watch for cracks on the top plate after a few thousand miles, just to be on the safe side. Looks like you were able to move the FMIC up about an 1/8 of an inch by welding the flat stock across like that.
Kyle you did a really good job on your "FMIC Bracket" it is completely supported and I can bet that it is very solid how its mounted.

Here is the beginning pics, I will post them again so people can gather a lot of good ideas between the three of us, even though they are basically all the same.

Finish pics

From beginning to end. The first OBX FMIC to be installed on an LS1 F-body.
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 11-14-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Nasty T/A: Sorry to get off topic here but is that some type of busbar on top of your battery? Can you give me some info on this please?
Old 09-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Banned

Yes, right now there are only two bolts holding it in place right now because I did not have much time on the rack due to other customer cars having to get done. But from what I was able to see, the IC was not even moving with good force. Of course I dont plan on keeping it this way, I have a couple brackets made up now that I plan on running across the bottom to the frame behind it. Plus I still have to seal up the lower bumper shroud so it seals to the bottom of the IC for better air control. The bracket that runs across is about 4 times the thickness of the stock frame. I did this so there is no flex on the IC. So it should last long.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
Nasty T/A: Sorry to get off topic here but is that some type of busbar on top of your battery? Can you give me some info on this please?
Its a distrabution block made by Tsunami..... i have 0/1 ran to the back of the car...........
Kyle
Old 11-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

do they make smaller intercoolers? if so where can i get a set
Old 11-28-2004, 10:15 PM
IMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Deckhand
Yea, for some reason he wasn't wearing a wife-beater.. musta been in the washer

do you work on a boat in CC?

Quick Reply: FMIC going in.... *PIC'S*..