Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just ordered my OBX intercooler.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered my OBX intercooler.

Just bought a OBX intercooler off E-bay for my new kit. So now i'm waiting on all my new toys to come in. I really hate waiting...

I also ordered twin pusher fans, all the intercooler piping reducers, clamps and couplers. I also had to arder a new turbo since my T76 that i sent off to turbonetics had some issues (DO NOT RUN A OIL RESTRICTOR!!!!!!!!) According to turbonetics Lack of oil caused a otherwise brand new turbo to eat itself alive. so it needs a thrust collar, backing plate, complete rebuild and compresser wheel. talk about pissed off, it only has 2000mi on it. .

So i found a new turbo to take it's place for less money then it would cost to fix. But i'll eventually get the T76 fixed.

The new heart of my LS1 is a brand new Master Power GT45 . I kinda figured the larger exhaust wheel would work better anyway.
I'm really hoping this turbo will support 1000hp like they claim since there ain't much feedback yet for it.

Well just wanted to update everyone. This thing is gonna be a monster if it ever gets finished. I should have all the parts this weekend but now there's another huricane coming this makes #3.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MYTURBOT/A
(DO NOT RUN A OIL RESTRICTOR!!!!!!!!) According to turbonetics Lack of oil caused a otherwise brand new turbo to eat itself alive. so it needs a thrust collar, backing plate, complete rebuild and compresser wheel. talk about pissed off, it only has 2000mi on it. .

oh man i thought i told everyone this!!
been there, smoked my turbo. DOnt listen to corkey about oil pressure.
I talked to turbonetics about restrictors and they advised against it, they said their turbos have no problem taking the oil pressure of the 40-80psi on a ls1. the problem is in the drain. thats why i moved it to the side, to help the draining.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Smokinhawk, I listened to you!! I was just about to go that same route. I havent moved my fitting yet (waiting for the end of the season I think) but I did shorten up the hose and took the slack out which made a big difference.

Myturbota: How much was that GT45?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

I bought the gt45 for $515 shipped off E-bay. I kinda think that there was some manufacturing problems with the turbo from the start but I suppose the oil restrictor might have had somthing to do with it also. I pulled my 60-1 apart and it looked perfect. I was using the exact same setup with the 60-1 and over spinning it so i'd think that it would be showing signes of failure itself if the restrictor was inhibiting flow.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow! thats cheap! did someone tell you it would support 1000hp? thats more than a T-76 is rated at isnt it? Well a I dont really have the true T-76 just the wheel like most people running the TTI kit. What is the sellers name and what housing style did you go with? I am seriously under informed when it comes to turbos in general :-(

you know....more money than brains ;-)
Old 09-08-2004, 08:14 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I didn't think the T76 or the OBX IC was rated for 1000rwhp. I realize changing exhaust housings and A/R can change quite a bit but I thought you had to go bigger on 350+cid motors no?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

The gt45 is rated at 1000 hp from master power/garrett. But I think it was JZ or someone on the mustang forums that reported that they put down 1200rwhp on a supra with this turbo. master power supposidly under rated them. From what i gatherd the gt45 is quite a bit bigger then the T76 plus it's a mid frame thumper style turbo like the T88. The T76 is rated for 850rwhp and from what i've been told the obx intercooler will support 800hp efficently. it'll support more then that but you'll start seeing higher pressure drops which is no problem for me since i'll have plenty of turbo to make up for it.
Here's a link to where I bought it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWN:IT
Old 09-08-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What are you going to have to change to make this turbo work with your kit? You started with the TTI T-76 street kit right??
Old 09-08-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

I'm finishing up building a completly custom kit. I sold the TTi kit.

Quick Reply: Just ordered my OBX intercooler.