Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Kit Vs. Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Kit Vs. Procharger

Ok, Im looking into FI on my car. I'll be doing full bolt ons, then probably buyin a STS kit, or a piecing together a cheaper P1SC kit. I'm looking to run 6 lbs of boost, with a goal of 450 rwhp. I like the look of the procharger on the car, and the twin intercoolers just look great under there. The STS isnt as pretty, but function over form. I think the supercharger would be less complicated to install, tune. But the turbo sound is just great. remember, this isnt a STS bash thread, I like the setup. I just want to know which would be cheaper, more reliable, and easier to install/tune to reach my goal of 450rwhp. The motor will be stock bottom end, with full boltons.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will let you know, I have both, ATI is in the sig, STS wont be on until mid october.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

STS will be much simpler to install. If you are going ATI get the 8 rib setup.

Dont bother with headers if you are going STS (especially if 2000 and up)

pick up an OBX intercooler if you go STS. Seems to be working wonders

Good fuel system and tuning will be required for either kit

Old 09-20-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See the thing is, I already have the headers and ORY and hooker catback, the nice edelbrock victors. thats about 1000 dollars right there gone to waste if i get the STS kit I have APE right near me so tuning will be good. I can piece together the p1sc, I know the turbo will make more power with the same boost, but im just lookin for a wicked streetcar. Doesnt have to be a track/dyno queen.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As an intial investment, the STS kit will be less expensive.
Chris was just noting that you did not have to buy new headers if you didn't already have them. Your headers will neither help nor hurt your setup using the STS, that is if you have no exhaust leaks. Your headers will help you better with the ATI kit, but that would amount to maybe ~15hp.

Just a note:If you plan to go with more than 5psi with either kit, you will need to consider an upgrade of your fuel injectors and fuel pump. 6psi may lean you out on the top end of your rpm's. Just a thought.

And as also stated by Chris, you will need a good tune. Think of it as a must have added to a FI setup.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my ATI to go STS

You will make more TQ with the turbo at the same HP level.

Turbo is easier to upgrade boost levels with.

Turbo doesn't have belt slip.

STS doesn't replace the stock fans so there are no cooling issues.

STS doesn't add any wieght over the nose of the car (unless you add a front mount)

at the same boost level the STS car will wax the ATI car. (only based on my experience with some local folks) also assuming same mods on both cars, in this case both were stock + the FI kit.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I have a 98, so I have the 28lbers stock I think. Id like to go up to like 36lbers to stay safe. you think that would work ? Id get a new fuel pump too .
Old 09-20-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

If i were you I'd give a D1 procharger setup more thought. For a street strip car it's really unbeatable in the FI world. You don't have the tuning problems with a blower that you do with a turbo. Your power is far more predictable in a blower car over a turbo. A blower at a stop light sounds way better than a Turbo, and they both sound good when accelerating.

If you need to run a high dyno number, or are building the car around the turbo than I could see it, but Blowers are simpler by design and far less finicky about tune. I've gone a year and a half with no dyno tune and regular WOT blasts, and my motor is holding up fine. Turbos are not as forgiving. Just food for thought.

Mike

p.s. I am biased, so take my info for what it's worth.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The D1 will probably up my price like 1000 dollars, And i wont be pushing over 8 psi of boost, until i get a forged motor, and that would be like i dunno 5 years down the road. so Id like to stick with just the P1sc. But man, those vids of the STS kit are great!
Old 09-20-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbird
I sold my ATI to go STS
at the same boost level the STS car will wax the ATI car. (only based on my experience with some local folks)
I am not calling you a liar Heath, but I would sure like to see some proof of that. Most 5 psi STS cars barely break 400 rwhp where ATI's are usually up around 450.

-Geoff
Old 09-20-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will find out if they have both been to the track yet. not gonna ask them to incrimidate themselves by putting a street race on video.
take it with a grain of salt. only 1 of each car. hardly a large enough test group to make a blanket statement (thus me putting my little disclaimer in )