Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boosted: Dipstick spitting oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boosted: Dipstick spitting oil

Hi Guys, I rarely post in here because I wasn't boost, now I am. So, you'll see more of me.

I have an LS1 in my truck along with a 5psi turbo kit. The truck hauls ***, but there's one problem.
I am blowing the dipstick out the holder and loosing lots of oil.
The hose that comes off the side of the throttle body, is in series with a pressure switch, next in series is a switch valve, then a hose going to the valve cover.
When that switch detects 1psi or greater it triggers and redirects the pressurized hose through another port on the switch valve and not into the valve cover.
Everything is working to my knowledge, but for some reason I'm still loosing oil. Do I have that much blow by passing the through the rings? Maybe my PCV valve on the other valve cover is bad?
Any ideas guys?

thanks in advance,

allen
Old 09-24-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Allen, I'm actually having a very similar problem. I have an STS kit on my LS1, which was making too much boost with the 5 psi spring. It was maxing out at 7 psi, and when it hiit that level of boost, the oil cap would pop off! so all of the oil being returned from the turbo was spewing all over the motor. I since have changed the wastegate spring to a 3 psi spring (which is now making 4.5-5 psi) and it hasn't happened again. Sorry I don't have any answers to the problem yet, but I wanted to let you know that your not the only one having this type of problem.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Do you have a check valve on the PCV line? Do a search in here for mcmaster check valve and you should come up with a part number for a nice one. Where does the fresh air line route to when the switch valve detects boost?

**edit**

www.mcmaster.com part# 7775k52 It's a one way check valve. You'll need to get the hose barb ends to connect to the PCV hose also.

Here is a pic of the valve with hose ends installed.

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 09-24-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is a path from the cc to the tb when there is no boost. When boost reaches 1psi, the valve switches and the cc pressure goes to another outlet on the valve that has a small filter. The tb inlet on the switch valve shuts, basically stopping the boost from entering the cc.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a vacuum/pressure gauge on your dipstick tube. See how much pressure there really is. I was getting the dipstick to rise on 1 p.s.i. (that is as high as it gets) with a fresh engine and a pretty decent venting setup. I ended up putting a bigger o-ring on the dipstick to hold it in place and force the air through the venting hoses.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by trtturbo
There is a path from the cc to the tb when there is no boost. When boost reaches 1psi, the valve switches and the cc pressure goes to another outlet on the valve that has a small filter. The tb inlet on the switch valve shuts, basically stopping the boost from entering the cc.
I understand that but, the PCV line is hooked to intake manifold also and the PCV valve might not be stopping boost from entering the crankcase. It's best to put a check valve on that line also.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:38 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well had the same problem, but mine turned out to be ring glands. yeah they were gone on four pistons. 14K on the motor, and 50-70 miles on the blower setup. Not saying it is your problem but dont rule it out. May be do a leak down on your motor and see what you have.You would have never known mine were like that until you took it apart no knock retard on anything. Ran 11.7s like that. Full weight and street tires.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Allen, was not clear, you are not running any lines from the valvecovers back into the TB or Intake right? If you do you can pressurize the crankcase.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember way back when, a guy had an ATI supercharger doing the same thing, it ended up being the supercharger, somehow the boost was leaking into the oil return line and pressurizing the block. He had ATI fix it under warranty and it was fine after..

Pro Stock John, how do you have your PCV system ran? I've got my engine out and almost all my seals are bleeding oil, even spitting oil out the fresh air vent I had at the back passenger side valve cover.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:47 PM
Tenured Member

If you see that dip stick popping its def time for a compression test. Any detonation and the stock piston ringlands can crack, and you wont really notice the performance decrease untill pieces start breaking off. Upgrading the PCV system and adding a catch is a good thing to do too. It could help prevent oil in the engine compartment when something goes wrong.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, do a compression test. You are getting lots of blowby and could be the ringlands...
Were you showing knock through your testing? Any idea what AFR you were showing?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:19 PM
7 Second Club

Best case...you don't have your Crankcase ventilated properly, do a search for PCV set ups....I have an informative post in there.

Worst case....Ring Lands...pull the motor and forge it!

I have been through both issues and have them both resolved. I wouldn't think that amount of boost would damage the pistons but then again it depends on the set-up.

BTW check valves are not the way to go....most motors need good ventilation all the time. Under boost the valve closes not allowing boost to enter the crankcase yes...but...it isn't venting either!

Mark
Old 09-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. I do have lines running from the valve covers to the TB. The STS setup was working properly and after comparing a new PCV valve to mine, that was good too.
I did find the problem. I was getting tons of cc pressure. A while back, I overheated the engine just a tad, it always ran hard and very strong but the idle was a tad shaky.
I did a compression test yesterday and all checked out good except for one. It was #8. All cylinders had around 170-180 and #8 only had 55, doh.
I tore the heads off and I noticed that the headgasket on #8 was kind of messed up, there was part of the metal gasket stuck on the cylinder head and I think that was the problem. Isn't it possible, if the head gasket is bad, it will allow the piston to pressurize the cc? Just making sure.
I'll probably replace the PCV with the brass piece that was metioned and stick with the STS setup so that the engine can vent under boost.

Thanks for all the replies and hopefully that is all that's wrong with the engine. I kind of had an feeling the gasket might have been bad when I heated the engine up.

thanks again,

allen
Old 09-26-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FarmTruc
I did a compression test yesterday and all checked out good except for one. It was #8. All cylinders had around 170-180 and #8 only had 55, doh.
I tore the heads off and I noticed that the headgasket on #8 was kind of messed up,

thanks again,

allen
Fix the head gasket, and redo compression test on #8. 55 is pretty low.
Let us know your results...
Old 09-27-2004, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

I seem to be having the same problem...

my friend is gonna do my comp test on the 10th... hopefully its nothing major... but there is so much smoke coming from the breather that i'm pretty sure something blew up in there

nothing i can do other then forge it.... wish i had the money its gunna be a budget forge... i'll get the motor pulled somewhere and my friend and i will get to work on it...

Quick Reply: Boosted: Dipstick spitting oil