Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

graphite head gasket limits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default graphite head gasket limits?

how durable are the graphite head gaskets when used with an oringed block and boost ?
will they hold up like a copper gasket ? ( better, worse?)

what do you expect the boost limit would be then? ( assuming the heads won't lift?)
Old 09-25-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't understand why there are folks in the LS1 community that feel the graphite head gaskets are inferior to the MLS gaskets for use in boosted engines. Keep the detonation in check, and you won't have anything to worry about unless you are lifting the heads.

Guys running Turbo Buicks have been using the stock Buick graphite gaskets for years and running more than 20 psi boost.

Stock graphite gaskets along with stainless O ringed heads will be more than enough for the boost levels I see anyone running in these LS1s.

MLS gaskets can be a little tricky. If the head and block surface are not perfect, the MLS gaskets (to include the aftermarket MLS gaskets) won't seal as well as graphite ones.

High boost with lots of detonation will kill any head gaskets ... I don't care which ones you use.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:58 AM
8 Second Club

cool , my concern i guess was that the oring might cut through the graphite if the motor is heat cycled enough times.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know about O ringed blocks, but with O ringed heads; The stainless wire ring is placed in a groove in the heads so it contacts the metal "fire ring" of the head gasket. It does not involve the actual graphite material.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:53 PM
8 Second Club

would it affect it much? i mean the only difference is that the ring is on the other side of the block.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
would it affect it much? i mean the only difference is that the ring is on the other side of the block.
I'm no expert, but I can't see that it would make any difference whether or not the wire ring was installed in the head or the block. The metal fire ring in any head gasket is the same on both sides (from what I have seen).

Quick Reply: graphite head gasket limits?