Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Compound charging

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Compound charging

Has any one ever done compound charging on the LS1 at all? I have been throwing around the idea of using the Magnacharger Supercharger then have twin turbochargers blow into that. But I would be running the air that is coming from the turbos through a intercooler first then into the supercharger. I was figuring that if I did it that way I could run bigger turbos and not have to worry about turbo lag. The supercharger should be able to take car of that. But if not I could resort to some nitrous injection. I known I would have to over build the motor. But I want to make a 454 LS1 using the C5R block so I would have to figure out the rotating assembly that would be able to handle large amounts of boost.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It wouldnt make much sense except for an over the top show car. YOu could make more power than you could use with just the twin turbos. It would be cool though.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:42 AM
12 Second Truck Club

The magnacharger woul dend up being a restriction IMO...

Twin turbo's sized correctly shoul dtake care of any lag issues.

Have you ever driven a properly setup turbo car? They really are not that bad unless you are trying for 700+rwh and even then I doubt the magnacharger could support that kind of power.

I could be wrong though.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

well I want to use a supercharger so I can size the turbos larger than they would be if they were the only power adder. I am aiming for around 900 rwhp. If I can find a supercharger that would be a restriction that I would have to put a hole in the hood to use that would be best. I know the diesels use compound charging so I know it works but they use superchargers like a 10-71 not something I want to use. I don't want to advertise my engine around here.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

About how much weight would a twin turbo set up add to the LS1's 570 pound weight?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

The single turbo kit I just shipped weighed in around 120lbs. Twins would probably be a little more 125-135lb maybe.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:20 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

apples to apples, I think a twin setup is likely to weight less than a turbo + a roots blower.

You might consider a sequential twin setup with a smaller turbo feeding a larger turbo. I have no experience with that at all, but I know some of the supras were running that set up to deal with the lag from a huuuuge turbo.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unless you are doing both for show, it is really not practical. Just do a good single turbo setup. You can make plenty of power with a T-80/T-88, but you won't have to do that R and D.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

a big single turbo is quite capable of getting 900hp if thats your goal...twins + a blower is for show only..
the tuning aspect of this would be a freaking nightmare, if your just wanting to spool the turbos a bit quicker the why not a little spray with it?
hell of a lot cheaper and easier and less madness for your tuner...

Quick Reply: Compound charging