Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Now that Ive decided on ATI.. which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 02:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Now that Ive decided on ATI.. which one?

First of all thanks to everyone helping me out lately... this place is great!

P1SC-1 or D1SC? For specs: http://www.procharger.com/models.shtml

I think with my current mods I can get 500rwhp with either one.... the P1SC-1 is hands down CARB cert legal in CA. The D1SC isnt legal but I know I can get away with it..... play it off as a P1 with P1 paperwork and such.

Either way Im going with a FMIC... and Im 99.9% sure Im not going to upgrade my motor, I have no plans to go that far with this car. Ive heard the biggest benefit of having the D1 is room for improvement, ie build the motor + more boost... which in this case doesnt really concern me.

The place Im buying my kit from says Ill be happy with either one.... and they say the same thing as well.. D1 = a tad more CFM with room to improve if I go that route. Ive seen killer #s from both P1SC-1s and D1SCs.... Ive also heard that the difference between a D1SC and a P1SC-1 is so slight that if you dont plan on anymore then 8lbs of boost that a D1SC is a waste and the P1SC-1 will work damn near as good. Is the extra 100cfm really worth it in my case?

Anyways.. enough from me... lemme know your thoughts. TIA.

Last edited by Avengeance; 11-16-2004 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D1SC hands down - you want something that you can grow with. Also go with a FMIC and the SDCE 8 rib.

Mark
Old 11-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Restricted User

Always go bigger...room to grow.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with the above suggestions. Not that the P1 isn't an excellent head unit, but the D1 is better. Many people have a perception of what their car is going to be like. When I bought my Hawk i thought i would never need to mod it like my old car cause it's a V8/6-speed, it's already fast as *****... WRONG! Then I get into the LS1 world and I figured a few bolt-ons would set me out from the stock LS1s and that's all I'd need... WRONG! Then I figured that a Blower would really set me apart and 8#s is all I'd ever need... WRONG!

The need for speed will rise exponentially becuase the faster you go, the faster your competition goes. It costs you so little to upgrade now. it will cost you way more if you buy the P1 now and then later on decide you want to go bigger. Even if you don't, the difference between the two now is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of putting FI on an LS1. Get the D1, you won't be sorry.

Mike

p.s. I also STRONGLY suggest you take the advice of others and talk to SDCE before buying anything. You can avoid a lot of headaches that way. The FMIC is a good idea. Just make sure you can trust your fabricator.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Avengeance
First of all thanks to everyone helping me out lately... this place is great!

P1SC-1 or D1SC? For specs: http://www.procharger.com/models.shtml

I think with my current mods I can get 500rwhp with either one.... the P1SC-1 is hands down CARB cert legal in CA. The D1SC isnt legal but I know I can get away with it..... play it off as a P1 with P1 paperwork and such.

Either way Im going with a FMIC... and Im 99.9% sure Im not going to upgrade my motor, I have no plans to go that far with this car. Ive heard the biggest benefit of having the D1 is room for improvement, ie build the motor + more boost... which in this case doesnt really concern me.

The place Im buying my kit from says Ill be happy with either one.... and they say the same thing as well.. D1 = a tad more CFM with room to improve if I go that route. Ive seen killer #s from both P1SC-1s and D1SCs.... Ive also heard that the difference between a D1SC and a P1SC-1 is so slight that if you dont plan on anymore then 8lbs of boost that a D1SC is a waste and the P1SC-1 will work damn near as good. Is the extra 100cfm really worth it in my case?

Anyways.. enough from me... lemme know your thoughts. TIA.
the D1SC will make about 50rwhp more then a P1SC with the same pulley combination..

before you make your purchase, do a search on Yahoo or Google about leaking D1SC seals... that may sway your decision on procharger self contained blowers!
Old 11-16-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just like Mike said.... Do it this way.... Order your whole kit from SDCE w/ D1-SC. Thats way you have there tensioner from the get go.

If not be sure you at least get the 8 rib setup...... FYI the impeller is different between the P1 and the D1..... that make the boost curve more agressive on the D1.... way better choice.....
Kyle
Old 11-16-2004, 09:26 AM
8 Second Club

I agree with all the others. Even though at 8#'s of boost the D1SC (there is a D1 blower and there is the D1SC-they are completely different blowers) is MUCH better. The boost comes on sooner, and more agressive, so you will have more power under the curve.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

if you think you can sneak past smog with the D1 go for it.
just warning you now, it's going to have to have the stamp that is rivited to the case with the CARB # or it won't fly. So if you have to ability to forge one of those you can get away with it. Otherwise plan on removing the blower for smog unless you have a smog guy that looks the other way.

If your doing your own fmic, if you have the skills you may just want to put your own kit together. There is a guy that makes the steel brackets, get the tensioner setup from SD and then just find a head unit, tubing and your fmic and fab it all up. You can put it all together for thousands under what a "kit" would cost you.

p.s. I woulda gone with the STS turbo if smog is a big concern which in CA it is. You can have it off and ready for smog in under 30 minutes, go smog, come back and slap it back on in 30. plus at the same boost level it will wax the ATI any day of the week. Torque!

Last edited by Blackbird; 11-16-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird
if you think you can sneak past smog with the D1 go for it.
just warning you now, it's going to have to have the stamp that is rivited to the case with the CARB # or it won't fly. So if you have to ability to forge one of those you can get away with it. Otherwise plan on removing the blower for smog unless you have a smog guy that looks the other way.

If your doing your own fmic, if you have the skills you may just want to put your own kit together. There is a guy that makes the steel brackets, get the tensioner setup from SD and then just find a head unit, tubing and your fmic and fab it all up. You can put it all together for thousands under what a "kit" would cost you.

p.s. I woulda gone with the STS turbo if smog is a big concern which in CA it is. You can have it off and ready for smog in under 30 minutes, go smog, come back and slap it back on in 30. plus at the same boost level it will wax the ATI any day of the week. Torque!
I did a write up about that a while back.... and i believe i used a F1 headunit and the price witha FMIC, the steel bracket, SDCE kit and everything i would need was like $5500..... and i paid $4600 fo rmy bse kit along time ago.... $2500 + later now...
Old 11-16-2004, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys....

I was under the impression that the P1SC-1 uses the same impeller as the D1SC. I heard they revised the P1SC-1 with the D1SC impeller to get more performance from the P1 and keep their CARB cert on it as well. Any truth to this?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:18 AM
8 Second Club

I was under the impression that the P1SC-1 uses the same impeller as the D1SC. I heard they revised the P1SC-1 with the D1SC impeller to get more performance from the P1 and keep their CARB cert on it as well. Any truth to this?
Well, the P1SC-1 is similar to the D1SC, but it is not the same impeller. It is helical like the D1SC, but it is cut down a bunch and not nearly as good as the D1SC, but a lot better than the P1SC.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

don't know where you are shopping Kyle

I put mine together with a p1 not an f1 for $2000 didn't do an IC but lets add $700 for IC and tubing, clamps, connectors and it's still under 3k.

I am of course extremely patient and waited around for deals to piece it all together.

My buddy just used a MMS pulley instead of the SD and put his together with intercoolers for $2K

Just depends how badly you want to save the $$$ and of course your power goals. Kyles is much higher than mine or my friends. 550rwhp is good enough for us.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

From what I understand there is a P1SC unit and a P1SC-1 unit, so if you decide to go this route make sure to look for the extra -1. Also, something to consider is that the psi they claim is on a STOCK engine, so when you put this on an engine that isn't stock you will probably see less psi.. For Example, on my setup, I thought I was going to hit 6 psi with a P1SC-1 kit, but I only hit 4, and I ended up having to change the pulley a couple times to hit the 6-7 psi I am getting now at 6500 rpms. My suggestion is to go with the D1SC. Hope this helps.

Matthew
Old 11-16-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am putting together my own P-1sc-1 kit. Bought the headunit from Xlr8nss and the bracket and other goods from Buschman. All together with the fmic, 42# injectors, an 8 rib setup and ati dampener, hp tuners and all the needed couplers/tubing I am at about 2600$. THIS IS THE WAY TO GO.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Go F1 And do a custom blower "kit" I will save you money and troubble. Stay away from Prochargers twin intercrapper set up as well.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:45 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JESTERSS
From what I understand there is a P1SC unit and a P1SC-1 unit, so if you decide to go this route make sure to look for the extra -1. Matthew
Yes you are right. There are actually 2 different versions of the P1SC. There is the straight P1SC, and the P1SC-1. A majority of cars get the P1SC, but ALL LS1/LS6 cars get the P1SC-1.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Teching In

I have the P1SC-1. I wish I had gone ahead and gotten the D1. No matter how much you think you'll not want to upgrade (I swore I wouldn't)...you will.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Is there really a big difference between FMIC and the twin intercoolers?

Within a year or 2 I plan to go with a D1 (unless we see a roots blower that does well) and I am not interested in going FMIC because I want to keep it as stealth as possible, and there is nothing stealth about a FMIC
Old 11-16-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbird
plus at the same boost level it will wax the ATI any day of the week. Torque!
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

10-4 bush

I will see what I can do to get a vid of my car at 5psi vs an ati car at 7psi.

Until then all I can tell you is there are few folks up here with ATI cars that ride in the STS cars and can only say WOW that car will kill mine. Wish these had come out before I bought my ATI.