Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SC vs Turbo at ½ throttle daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC vs Turbo at ½ throttle daily driving

I actually made this post for my truck in the truck forum but thought I would try it here since it relates.

I was wondering which one would have more of an effect when driving around normally. It might be a matter of which one has the most off idle torque. I know there are so many types of units. Some only give boost at high RPM’s, some only at full throttle. If I would narrow down the truck specific systems it would come down to STS, Radix, and Whipple. I do not think the Vortec would provide me with what I am looking for. I am focusing on half throttle daily driving because that is where I want to be happiest. I figure that once you’re at boost and 4000 rpm it does not matter what system you have when were only talking 5-7 psi. I know that 5 turbo PSI is not 5 SC PSI but they are pretty close. So who has the most low RPM power and not so full throttle?
Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you already made up your mind... but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Off-idle winner will be the screw-type SCs because they don't need to spin real fast to make boost.

A turbo will be next because it can make boost at low RPMs but needs to be loaded. You could power-brake a turbo with an automatic to make boost from a dead-stop but you need a high stall.

Last will be the centrifugal because they will make their max boost at an RPM close to redline. Not much boost off-idle but it does build quickly as the engine revs.

If I had a truck I'd either do screw SC or turbo.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i think you need to go back over the basics of supercharging and turbocharging. i don't think you have a firm grasp on them yet. it may change your opinions somewhat.

sc you will get better throttle response and off idle tq no question.

now if your truck is an automatic then i still think you could really enjoy the turbo...

Quick Reply: SC vs Turbo at ½ throttle daily driving