Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Efficiency of the OBX FMIC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 11:22 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a 2psi pressure drop on my OBX with 2 90deg bends. I ended up re routing my wastegate line to compensate.

The ATI guys are seeing 2+psi gain when swapping out their ATI twin ICs.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

One of the reason other cores will usually out perform OBX is the size. The OBX's are usually 2.75"-3" thick and the Spearcos are mostly 3.5" thick. But I have tested two cores back to back that where the same size other than the extra .5" thinck Spearco and gained 10% more power with the spearco.
BTW where I'm comming from is years of building the fastest turbo 4cyl. street cars around. When you only have 2.0L of displacement to work with you can't afford to leave any power on the table. What we've found is using the right intercooler is almost as important as the turbo you chose. Most of the V8 guys are so new to turbocharging they think that any intercooler is good enough.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:14 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Not true. Just some of us feel that the cooling from the $275-$300 cooler is good enough (for us) when compared to a $800 cooler.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly.

for alot of folks good enough is indeed good enough.

I much rather have the $$ in my pocket. the car will make 500rwhp easy with the OBX and thats a few hundred more HP than I can realistically use on the street anyhow so it definetly makes sense to me. I think too many folks only think ***** to the wall max effort professional racer setups. Thats just not realistic for 99% of us on these boards IMO.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen and built many FMIC and OBX is the worst stuff out there. To hide there blemishes, they paint there cores silver. If anyone looks at there cores closely, you can see what I'm saying. Maybe they changed there ways recently, but I doubt it. My IC source bought 20 or so OBX IC and now can't sell them because of how crappy they are. I think he also mentioned poor performance but I can't confirm that, he just threw me a bunch of numbers that went in one ear and out the other He pulled an OBX off the the shelf and showed me the paint. Now I know why OBX is so cheap, hehe
what??? I have an OBX and the thing is perfect. There are no flaws hidden. The fins and all welds are top notch and I am a picky person about things like that.
Having compared it to higher priced models I can say my OBX looked better!

The unit works great with some of the best IAT reduction I could hope for.
Is it the best? no! But geez for 275-300$ it's a great budget unit!
Must we all blow our kids inheritance on our cars to feel good?
Old 01-21-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

You guys are all running turbo setups! Huge bucks, and are complaining about another couple hundred for an intercooler that will be more efficient???? A few hundered bucks isn't worth 10% more power???? But you'll spend upwards of $8000 on a tt setup for more power. Afew hundred seems pretty miniscule for 10% more power. Plus you can run the same boost on pumpgas and be able to make more power.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:18 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i am not buying the 10% hp, you are talking 60hp on most cars around here and that is hard to believe.

btw 3" thick to 3.5" thick is a 16% increase in size. i still dont buy the extra 10% hp unless you were flowing so much air you actualy needed the extra internal area to keep presure drop down.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With the OBX FMIC I went from 117mph traps to 124mph traps and saw a jump of 2psi from my ATI Twins. For the money spent for the project I felt this was a damn good gain from my cheap lil china cooler. Mine looks nice as any i've seen and a whole lot better than the ATI twins it replaced. FWIW I spent 680 to do the FMIC and thats because I bought the FMIC for 515 before ebay was flooded with them. I'll take the money saved and spend it elsewhere on the car. Will the OBX work for an all out race application like the pic in NXricky post....NO! Will it work on cars making 700hp on down, yep we already have two members doing it now with excellent results. I think OBX's ratings for this FMIC are deadnuts on. My IATs are awesome, drop wickedly fast after a WOT run and I made more power and got my new best with the OBX...
just can't see how people say the quality is crap, my welds were awesome the endtanks were nice and smooth no sharp angles or obstructions and the fins were all perfect, it will get me to my goal just fine and didn't break the bank to do it. Whats a lil more $$, Chinga, cheedar, money when i've spent this much?? Too much money spent already

J
Old 01-21-2005, 05:07 PM
...with cheese.

mine looks perfect.. your not going to gain 10% when the one you've already got isn't maxed out...
Old 01-21-2005, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1-7
I've seen and built many FMIC and OBX is the worst stuff out there. To hide there blemishes, they paint there cores silver. If anyone looks at there cores closely, you can see what I'm saying.
There's no paint on my OBX John. It looks like a high quality piece, nice welds, decent sized core, even if it was Made in China.

Really, all I care about is whether I hit my target number or not. It will already be a ridiculous amount of power for the street and a 2900# car.

If your builder is having trouble getting rid of his OBX purchase, perhaps he should unload them here. They seem to sell pretty fast around these parts.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1500
One of the reason other cores will usually out perform OBX is the size. The OBX's are usually 2.75"-3" thick and the Spearcos are mostly 3.5" thick. But I have tested two cores back to back that where the same size other than the extra .5" thinck Spearco and gained 10% more power with the spearco.
BTW where I'm comming from is years of building the fastest turbo 4cyl. street cars around. When you only have 2.0L of displacement to work with you can't afford to leave any power on the table. What we've found is using the right intercooler is almost as important as the turbo you chose. Most of the V8 guys are so new to turbocharging they think that any intercooler is good enough .
oh brother

So I'm curious, on the test you ran.

Material? Fin thickness/depth? Fins/inch? Rows? # of tubes? Length of tubes? Tube I.D.? Tube O.D.? Volume? Pressure drop? delta Temps? delta Pressure? was there an increase in airflow between the two? details details details what exactly changed?

Just trying to see how much of an apples to apples comparison your test was.

Your last statement was just lame, anybody who has been doing this long enough and learns will tell you making the car work as a unit is key. It applies to all platforms.

Last edited by sscam68; 01-21-2005 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

sscam68-
Do you know who Sean at SolidTechnology is right there in ABQ? The back top back dyno was done right there in your town with one of my intercoolers vs. a China special.

"Material? Fin thickness/depth? Fins/inch? Rows? # of tubes? Length of tubes? Tube I.D.? Tube O.D.? Volume? Pressure drop? delta Temps? delta Pressure? was there an increase in airflow between the two?"
Of coures all those are thing things that change greatly when you go from a crappy i/c core to a good one. That's my point, not enough surface area on a OBX core to do the job right. The OBX cores are very light weight compared to a real core, this is the first sign that should warn people away. Not enough aluminum there to transfer heat for very long.

Kevin
Old 01-22-2005, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1500
sscam68-
Do you know who Sean at SolidTechnology is right there in ABQ? The back top back dyno was done right there in your town with one of my intercoolers vs. a China special.

"Material? Fin thickness/depth? Fins/inch? Rows? # of tubes? Length of tubes? Tube I.D.? Tube O.D.? Volume? Pressure drop? delta Temps? delta Pressure? was there an increase in airflow between the two?"
Of coures all those are thing things that change greatly when you go from a crappy i/c core to a good one. That's my point, not enough surface area on a OBX core to do the job right. The OBX cores are very light weight compared to a real core, this is the first sign that should warn people away. Not enough aluminum there to transfer heat for very long.

Kevin
I agree. I have designed and reversed engineered them so I understand perfectly well where you're coming from and I agree 100%. You're the only one that has posted any kind of info on a back to back comparo which is why I would like more info as far as specs are concerned, ya know see how similar and different they truly are.

I thought this test was done at your facility?

Yes I know who they are, no i don't think to highly of them...

Quick Reply: Efficiency of the OBX FMIC?