Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need help picking wastegate!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stone Racing makes knock offs. I have never seen one but people say to stay away. I had a Tial and if you can find one for that flange I can at least say that they are very high in quality and made in the USA. They also have stainless valve bodies which is nice. I only sold mine to go bigger (Racegate)
Old 12-17-2004, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stone racing? Like the Ebay knock off store? Also in affiliation with SSAutochrome, the cracktastic import bling manifolds? I think they also knocked off the TiAL BOV too.

I would get the HKS for the extra money. You are talking about the only thing that stands between a running engine and a blown up engine
Old 12-17-2004, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tial 40s and the HKS 40s have the same flange/bolt pattern correct?
Old 12-17-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i believe so on the bolt pattern, at least they look the same. 40 is too small. go with at least the 46/48 which ever one it is. i would just go with the 60mm hks. it may be like 700 bucks but its the last one you will have to buy
Old 12-17-2004, 12:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No sense in paying 700+ for the 60 from HKS when the Progate is almost half price and flows just as much. Its a 48mm, but Turbosmart gates have high lift vs the conventional gate. So a progate 48 will flow alot more then an equal mm sized gate.

Jose

Originally Posted by KAOS
i believe so on the bolt pattern, at least they look the same. 40 is too small. go with at least the 46/48 which ever one it is. i would just go with the 60mm hks. it may be like 700 bucks but its the last one you will have to buy
Old 12-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Fiery Features Director

I just asked about that Stone Racing because I was told their wastegate had the same flange but was a bit bigger. I don't know... that is why I am asking you guys.

I do need something with the 4 bolt flange. I am going to go home and measure it tonight to see if going bigger will work. I am now hearing so many bad things about the HKS 40mm that I am not sure if I want to go in that direction anymore. However, I am concerned that the 46mm might not fit. Again, I would have to measure it tonight to find out. Jose, which 4 bolt flange wastegate would you suggest?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't just say you need a 4 bolt flanged WG and bolt it to what is there. The HKS 40 has an external seat (the flange) that the valve seals against. Now if you go with a bigger gate and even if the bolt pattern lines up. The seat will be to small.
It's a tight fit where the WG is mounted and not sure if a bigger one will fit. I don't believe Rob ever offered a larger WG. Maybe for a reason. That is why we decided to add a second one and will never have to worry about overboost again.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

BTW - just measured the flange, and the widest portion of the inner diameter is 40mm. No sense putting a bigger gate on it Might have to have another bunghole welded on there
Old 12-18-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brains
BTW - just measured the flange, and the widest portion of the inner diameter is 40mm. No sense putting a bigger gate on it Might have to have another bunghole welded on there
are you talking about the hks unit? it may be a 40mm opening but the exit hole is much smaller. it weird. not sure why its the way it is. and i am all for the progate. pour it on it if it will fit and let me know how it goes. interested to see if you can get another gate on there

Quick Reply: Need help picking wastegate!