Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Gauging cost on QMP kit- Will I even like it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
Unusual ta you are a retard. I know the qmp kit isnt the greatest design ever and has backpressure issues but it has made good power when installed and tuned correctly. I dont think I have been to the dyno and seen a local qmp kit car not make 550rwhp, usually on stock motors and around 11 psi. I know of many cars(5-6) that were fully tuned in a half of a day and made good power. I cant believe that you only made what you did on 14 psi, and a built motor, but then again u could probabaly mess up a wet dream too!

So I'm retarded after spending over 12k and not getting the results? I forgot its the consumers fault. Go **** yourself. I'm not sure where you're located or who does your tuning, but that is the dfw area could do for me. I had no one else to tune or put the motor together. Almost every part in that motor was brand new.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cablebandit
cool off guys Unusual, I don't understand your results. I made more than you with the TTI kit and smaller turbo. Not blaming YOU...just saying something specific in your kit/setup was not right. I hate it that it didn't get worked out for ya..FI ain't easy when everything goes RIGHT. Hopefully, you are running a much more satisfying combo AKA getting the results you expect/paid for. Turbochad, you are in a fortunate position...a turnkey turbo car (add-on) is very rare. Your car didn't put out nearly the same HP on the first dyno pull as it does now. Tuning takes time as well as working out all the little things. Your car has more dyno pulls than my car has dragstrip runs. Good for you and I am sure that is why your car has the results that it has. We don't all have a dyno at our disposal so results like yours take time. I think the QMP kit can produce some great numbers...just takes money/time and and patience. On another note, Turbochad, have you had a chance to run your car at the track yet?
Actually I sold the car because I didn't make the results I wanted and no one had the time around here or the concern to make it right.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ..

Originally Posted by Unusual T/A
So I'm retarded after spending over 12k and not getting the results? I forgot its the consumers fault. Go **** yourself. I'm not sure where you're located or who does your tuning, but that is the dfw area could do for me. I had no one else to tune or put the motor together. Almost every part in that motor was brand new.
So does this mean that it was your fault for not getting it tuned correctly(assuming it was installed correctly)? Instead of blaming it on a producton kit that has made more power and torque on stock motors? Like I said I dont ever jump on here and defend, but when u come on so strong "dont buy the qmp kit, it sucks" I feel obligated to let people know your results were not typical, and could have been avoided. Thanks
Old 12-24-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So does this mean that it was your fault for not getting it tuned correctly(assuming it was installed correctly)? Instead of blaming it on a producton kit that has made more power and torque on stock motors? Like I said I dont ever jump on here and defend, but when u come on so strong "dont buy the qmp kit, it sucks" I feel obligated to let people know your results were not typical, and could have been avoided. Thanks

Actually I had 2 DIFFERENT SHOPS TUNE IT according to ROBS directions and the car did not make the power it was suppossed to. What the **** am I suppossed to do after paying a shop so much and not getting results? They had my car for 2 months. I will gladly post up the name of both shops if you wish. I did everything in my power to get the car done right. There is only so much you can deal with stress wise trying to dick around with it. 2 months of stress and not having a car was plenty for me. If I had someone else to go to I probably would have gone, but you name someone local in Dfw that could. Exactly you cant. My results were typical according to the few that I had talked to that also had **** experiences.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

Didn't a guy from KY buy it from you, put it on his car, and take it to Rob and put down well over 500rwhp and close to 600rwtq within a few hours of tuning? Also, why is eveyone else who has the kit making the numbers?
Old 12-24-2004, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Oh sorry I just went back and read where you were bashing me for buying a car that was already built..............SO WHAT!!!!! Who gives a **** if I bought my car done, it still has a QMP kit on it and it still puts down incredible numbers. Also, as I have said before, it is a dream to drive so I dont think you have a point Unusual! It seems again that everyone I have talked to on here and through pm's are having a great time with their QMP kit. One last thing, Rob has been more than helpful with me and I have never had a hard time getting him on the phone! Why is it that YOU couldn't get much over 500rwhp on a built motor and race fuel, but others are easily getting over 500rwhp on pump gas and near bone stock motors? Sounds like a motor or tuner problem to me!
Old 12-24-2004, 08:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually I had 2 DIFFERENT SHOPS TUNE IT according to ROBS directions and the car did not make the power it was suppossed to. What the **** am I suppossed to do after paying a shop so much and not getting results? They had my car for 2 months. I will gladly post up the name of both shops if you wish. I did everything in my power to get the car done right. There is only so much you can deal with stress wise trying to dick around with it. 2 months of stress and not having a car was plenty for me. If I had someone else to go to I probably would have gone, but you name someone local in Dfw that could. Exactly you cant. My results were typical according to the few that I had talked to that also had **** experiences.
Your result's are very typical,so don't worry The only reason I wouldn't buy this kit now is because QMP is out of bussiness and it would be difficult to get replacement parts.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Default ..

You're more than likely not going to hit 550 with that kit. You may on race gas with some very extensive tuning. I barely made 565 on a forged motor on race gas at 14psi. Do not buy that kit.
If you think these results are typical, then maybe u need to step back and look at people who have the kit and are making power. Not only do I personally know the poster of this question, but the kit he is looking to buy(It made 600 rwhp and 700 lbs on a stock motor/only valvesprings) , and the other qmp kit car that was mentioned. It has been daily driven and weekend raced, tuned for 700rwhp, for about 4 months now.

How are they typical, because less than a handfull of people that cry on ls1tech bought them , installed them, tuned them and had problems?

P.S. The hot parts from this kit can be purchased through stainless works, everything else is either a standard part, or can be found.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbochad
Oh sorry I just went back and read where you were bashing me for buying a car that was already built..............SO WHAT!!!!! Who gives a **** if I bought my car done, it still has a QMP kit on it and it still puts down incredible numbers. Also, as I have said before, it is a dream to drive so I dont think you have a point Unusual! It seems again that everyone I have talked to on here and through pm's are having a great time with their QMP kit. One last thing, Rob has been more than helpful with me and I have never had a hard time getting him on the phone! Why is it that YOU couldn't get much over 500rwhp on a built motor and race fuel, but others are easily getting over 500rwhp on pump gas and near bone stock motors? Sounds like a motor or tuner problem to me!
Lets get the facts straight. You bought ROBS car, that he personally installed and tuned in which he spent probably more time that you can possible imagine. Really have you not read all the past threads about people having problems? Have you not read the threads where people couldn't get ahold of Rob? Are you unaware Rob still owes me $275 for a bov? If it was a motor or tuner problem then please let me know so I can tell the shop that. They will more than likely laugh in your face.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you think these results are typical, then maybe u need to step back and look at people who have the kit and are making power. Not only do I personally know the poster of this question, but the kit he is looking to buy(It made 600 rwhp and 700 lbs on a stock motor/only valvesprings) , and the other qmp kit car that was mentioned. It has been daily driven and weekend raced, tuned for 700rwhp, for about 4 months now.

How are they typical, because less than a handfull of people that cry on ls1tech bought them , installed them, tuned them and had problems?

P.S. The hot parts from this kit can be purchased through stainless works, everything else is either a standard part, or can be found.
I have yet to see the owners of these said cars post up about there numbers. WHo were the tuners and what year were the motors?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

I understand Rob has some problems and people have reasons to have bad feelings towards him. All I am saying is my car is tuned and drives and runs perfect! There are obviously plenty of people who run his kit and love it. Hell look at the FI list! In 03 he was the fastest "true street" car on here and this year he is the 2nd fastest 6-speed car on here, that's just the facts plain and simple.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guy I am buying the kit from only wants $6000 for everything including installation and tuning from Rob Raymor. I basically just need to decide if I would rather have this kit and wait another 6 months on buying a house or buying a house and sticking with my cam, headers and nitrous. Like I said, I am not into going fast, I am, obviously I have a nitrous kit, but it does mean everything to me. I just like driving the car. Also, I need to sell all of my parts first to come up with the first half of the money.

Unusual T/A- I understand where you are coming from. You have had a VERY unfortunate experience. You spent a lot of time AND MONEY on your car and didn't get the results you wanted or paid for. All I can say is that sucks. What you really should have done if you knew of the "problems" other people were having is had the car trailored to QMP when they were still open and had them install/tune it. It would have been a lot less of a headache and cheaper I'm sure since it sounds like you paid these shops anyway even though they didn't fix your problems.
-As I and Black98TA mentioned, there have been AT LEAST 5-6 cars around here, maybe not ten as I stated, with the QMP kit on (not including TurboChad who lives in Ky.) They ALL made at least 500rwhp on a 6-hour tune and a stock engine. I am not going to post on here who they are because that is not my place. But, the person selling the kit I'm looking at did indeed make 620rwhp/710rwtq on a stock, HIGH-mileage (80k+ miles) motor with Comp-918 Valvesprings, stock LS1 intake, stock 3.42 rear and a 6-speed. Rob tuned it for 5 hours when he made a safe 525/600 and 7 more hours for the 625/710 tune. I drove in the car on two occasions and it was SICK fast. No traction until 70+mph on 305/18 Nitto Drags and it put me back in the seat hard when it finally hooked. Let's just say I've never been sideways on a third to fourth shift (lost traction, yes, but sideways, no. I wish you could have experienced it.

btw, I don't know if Black98ta was being modest but he built 90% of TurboChads car. He is the wrong person to be arguing with....
Old 12-24-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SStolen
The guy I am buying the kit from only wants $6000 for everything including installation and tuning from Rob Raymor. I basically just need to decide if I would rather have this kit and wait another 6 months on buying a house or buying a house and sticking with my cam, headers and nitrous. Like I said, I am not into going fast, I am, obviously I have a nitrous kit, but it does mean everything to me. I just like driving the car. Also, I need to sell all of my parts first to come up with the first half of the money.

Unusual T/A- I understand where you are coming from. You have had a VERY unfortunate experience. You spent a lot of time AND MONEY on your car and didn't get the results you wanted or paid for. All I can say is that sucks. What you really should have done if you knew of the "problems" other people were having is had the car trailored to QMP when they were still open and had them install/tune it. It would have been a lot less of a headache and cheaper I'm sure since it sounds like you paid these shops anyway even though they didn't fix your problems.
-As I and Black98TA mentioned, there have been AT LEAST 5-6 cars around here, maybe not ten as I stated, with the QMP kit on (not including TurboChad who lives in Ky.) They ALL made at least 500rwhp on a 6-hour tune and a stock engine. I am not going to post on here who they are because that is not my place. But, the person selling the kit I'm looking at did indeed make 620rwhp/710rwtq on a stock, HIGH-mileage (80k+ miles) motor with Comp-918 Valvesprings, stock LS1 intake, stock 3.42 rear and a 6-speed. Rob tuned it for 5 hours when he made a safe 525/600 and 7 more hours for the 625/710 tune. I drove in the car on two occasions and it was SICK fast. No traction until 70+mph on 305/18 Nitto Drags and it put me back in the seat hard when it finally hooked. Let's just say I've never been sideways on a third to fourth shift (lost traction, yes, but sideways, no. I wish you could have experienced it.

btw, I don't know if Black98ta was being modest but he built 90% of TurboChads car. He is the wrong person to be arguing with....

You guys are not listening. ROB WAS NOT ANSWERING THE PHONE OR RETURNING MESSAGES I HAD LEFT WITH ALL THE PEOPLE AT HIS SHOP. So why would I TOW MY CAR to him? It would have been more headache to do that and would have run another large sum of money. I had confidence in the shops tuning ability. The tuner and I spoke to Mightymouse and I spoke to Warbird myself many times. Either the kit was ****, the motor was assembled not 100% meaning not spec wise , or something unknown.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand Rob has some problems and people have reasons to have bad feelings towards him. All I am saying is my car is tuned and drives and runs perfect! There are obviously plenty of people who run his kit and love it. Hell look at the FI list! In 03 he was the fastest "true street" car on here and this year he is the 2nd fastest 6-speed car on here, that's just the facts plain and simple.
I still find it funny you brag about a car you didn't build. You should consider yourself lucky for having bought a car like that.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Default .

You are missing my point. You are blaming a kit that has made power on my car(570/640 at 11 psi stock motor with valvesprings), my best friends car(600/710 at 14psi stock motor with valve springs), my other friends car (built 348 motor, 9 to 1 comp., 705/805 at 18 lbs), and many others. You had a problem in tuning or installation, PERIOD.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Hey who cares if I am proud of a car that I bought instead of building myself! I find it rather wise to buy a car done and save money rather than build one from scratch and spend 40k plus on a car that's only worth half that when you are done! By the way Merry Christmas guys!
Old 12-25-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are missing my point. You are blaming a kit that has made power on my car(570/640 at 11 psi stock motor with valvesprings), my best friends car(600/710 at 14psi stock motor with valve springs), my other friends car (built 348 motor, 9 to 1 comp., 705/805 at 18 lbs), and many others. You had a problem in tuning or installation, PERIOD.
I'm not missing any points period. You are missing the full point. HIs kit did not work on my car. With the bone stock 99 ls1 motor that was in there prior to the motor swap with a turbotech t63 kit the car made 510/570 through a mufflex. So based on your assumption, me buying an ls6 block, ls6 intake, buying 241 heads, getting mototron 65lb injectors, diamond pistons, etc... buying a qmp kit with a t76, and getting tuned my problem was with tuning and install? Please. If you could willingly call up RPM in Lewisville Texas and tell them they can't install or tune **** I would paypal you $50 right now.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey who cares if I am proud of a car that I bought instead of building myself! I find it rather wise to buy a car done and save money rather than build one from scratch and spend 40k plus on a car that's only worth half that when you are done! By the way Merry Christmas guys!
YOu are beyond proud. YOu brag about it as if it was something you did yourself and talk it up. I would give you respect if you weren't a douchebag.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Hey man there is no since in calling anyone a douchebag ole buddy! We have all kept this nice and clean and you have to be a dumb *** and say something like that. Look Unusual your mad because my car makes awesome power and you and your motor builder and tuner cant duplicate what everyone else on here can! Why is it that there are so many making power with this kit and you are the only one bitching about it? Again blame it on yourself, your builder, or your tuner because it is obvious that everyone else running the kit is not having your problems! Oh and by the way you are somewhat right, I am proud of a car that makes 700+rwhp, gets 20+mpg, and like I have said before, drives like a stocker......I AM DAMN PROUD!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Default ..

I called and got there answering machine, it said something about being closed for christmas, can I have $25 for attempting to call? I think it is obvious you cant blame a kit that has been fine on other cars. Too bad turbo kits and tuning dont come in difficulty levels like model cars.....forget this thread everyone have a nice christmas day!

Quick Reply: Gauging cost on QMP kit- Will I even like it?