Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Compound induction

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

kinda like fuel pumps in series, a 255 lph inline and stock intank... doesnt make a 400 lph pump setup
Old 01-05-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

in series the pressure adds, flow stays the same
in parralel the flow adds, the pressure stays the same
Old 01-05-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96SCTA
Yeah,, Im pumped that i got somthing new to think about.

My motor is out of the car right now. I am doning the build up . I was thinking 383 LT1 all forged set up. But If i am going to run this much boost. I may just stay with a 355 LT1 so i can turn up the rpms even more. I will have to go with real low comp pistons. like 8.5:1. Right now im still on the stock compression ration. With 9-11lbs of boost. (never consistant)

The question that i really need to find out is how much can a v8 handle.
Ya, I like this Idea too. Really curious what it would be like. Call HPE and see what they think you should do for this. Rick curently holds the Record for anLT1 right now. I believe it's a half filled stock block.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

yes youll make more psi, not much more cfm
Old 01-05-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

It would be sort of a silly thing to do as the primary reason this is done in some forms of racing( tractor pullers) is because a single turbo just can not handle the pressures these guys run without damage.

I believe you would not need much boost from the turbo to the blower. 7psi would be enough and if the right turbo is used temp rise into the blower would not be to extreme.

You could slow down the blower speed as well to keep it in it's best efficiency range and maybe 1 good intercooler would still workout.

Say you normally run 10psi boost with the blower at max rpm. That's a 1.68 pressure ratio. If you increase the pressure going into the blower from atmospheric pressure (14.7) to 7psi boost(21.7), then the new boost would be 21.7 psi.

If you boost the blower inlet pressure to 10psi from the turbo and keep the same blower speed, then your looking at 26.8psi out of the blower if my math is correct. So managing final boost levels would be very tricky. If the turbo wastegate EVER malfunctioned it's probably instant meltdown time.

The problem I have with this is you need a pretty large turbo.To make 7psi into the blower that is normally making 10psi, means some serious cfm rates!

It's going to take a big turbo and at that point why even bother as you won't need the blower anyhow and no way any gasoline motor can handle the pressures this sort of system is designed for..

Maybe the better idea is to just run it in parallel. Increase the flow and you increase the boost. Right now I have a g-trim for instance. It'll handle maybe 1000cfm. Just adding a small turbo capable of 1000cfm in parallel puts it beyond a YSI trim easily in potential flow. You'll still suffer the 80hp or so loss from blower drag and still be down in power per boost compared to an ALL turbo system. But it will be ahead of a single large ALL belt driven setup.

Just a pretty darn complicated (and probably heavy)setup is the down side.

Steve

Old 01-05-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

started a thread asking how to calculate compound pressure ratio.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/257954-experts-how-calculate-compunded-psi-s.html

It's all about pressure ratios. Say your first compressor (turbo or SC) has a PR of 3. That gives you 29.4psig of boost though this formula, assuming your at sea level (ie. 14.7 = Atm):

(Atm+Boost)/Atm = PR

For your second compressor your Atm would be the product of your first compressor (29.4 here) plus 14.7 (to switch it from a gauge pressure to an atmospheric pressure). So use the same formula above but with 44.1 as your secondary Atm. So with a PR of 2.5 for our second compressor, the final boost pressure would be 66psig. Now go tractor pulling!

Last edited by Richiec77; 01-05-2005 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Richiec77
started a thread asking how to calculate compound pressure ratio.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257954

It's all about pressure ratios. Say your first compressor (turbo or SC) has a PR of 3. That gives you 29.4psig of boost though this formula, assuming your at sea level (ie. 14.7 = Atm):

(Atm+Boost)/Atm = PR

For your second compressor your Atm would be the product of your first compressor (29.4 here) plus 14.7 (to switch it from a gauge pressure to an atmospheric pressure). So use the same formula above but with 44.1 as your secondary Atm. So with a PR of 2.5 for our second compressor, the final boost pressure would be 66psig. Now go tractor pulling!
I just got back to this thread ... this is what I was trying to say about the PR's, but I just didnt have enough time to type it in last night. I didnt mean for you to think that I meant to literally multiply the PR's, just that the two boosts couldnt simply be "added" as in 10 lbs plus 10 lbs is 20 lbs. Thanks for the followup.

Actually, in tractor racing circles they are running 3 and 4 turbos in series/compound to run boost pressures upwards of 250 psi ...
Old 01-05-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hangslo
Actually, in tractor racing circles they are running 3 and 4 turbos in series/compound to run boost pressures upwards of 250 psi ...

Jesus. How do they keep the heads on!!?? Probably have to weld them at that point.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
in series the pressure adds, flow stays the same
in parralel the flow adds, the pressure stays the same

So will you see much of a power gain from running them in parralel. Is it worth it.

Quick Reply: Compound induction