Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pics of the new GT55 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by parish8
at 700rwhp you will be at 80+lb's of air. the factory maf can only read 60lb's of air. if you tune it on a cold day and tune it way safe then you will almost for sure be ok for any weather changes but you will be pig rich when it gets hot.

you could probably get by at 700rwhp without retuneing or loging everytime you go out but you are building a monster that will likly be a ways over that number.

if you live where the weather is prety consistant that would help i bet. where i live there are 40+deg swings sometimes in the daily temps.

Exactly..... PM Mightey Mouse about the tuning nightmare of 700+rwhp and a stock pcm and changing weather....... Down here it can be 59 degree's like today and tomorrow 87.... and from what i was told even if tuned on a cold day it will be rich.... so rich i wont even run right......to rich....then you run into other problems....... Im going with it for that same reason.... and so that i can run 2 tunes... 1 for pump 93 and one for C16. The only downside to BS3 is noone make a harness or box yet to have it work with stock gauges.... but im not worried abut that $550 for all the aftermarket Autometer gauges im going to need. Be sure to give Allena call and really talk to him about it.
Kyle
Old 02-12-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, so here are some more pics i got from Candy this morning of the build up. let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of the new GT55 turbo-afr-head-ports.jpg   Pics of the new GT55 turbo-afr-head-ports-1.jpg   Pics of the new GT55 turbo-afr-head-ports-2.jpg   Pics of the new GT55 turbo-afr-heads.jpg   Pics of the new GT55 turbo-afr-heads-2.jpg  

Old 02-12-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

here are some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of the new GT55 turbo-blow-off-valve.jpg   Pics of the new GT55 turbo-pistons.jpg   Pics of the new GT55 turbo-pistons1.jpg   Pics of the new GT55 turbo-pistons2.jpg   Pics of the new GT55 turbo-pistons-connecting-rods.jpg  

Old 02-12-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

and more...

everything looks good so far, from what Allan had said hes thinking of doing with the turbo setup, im thinking it will be killer!
Attached Thumbnails Pics of the new GT55 turbo-tubing.jpg   Pics of the new GT55 turbo-tubing2.jpg   Pics of the new GT55 turbo-wastegate.jpg  
Old 02-12-2005, 11:58 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet.

what it the purpose of the rasied part in the center of the piston?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

i have no idea, maybe for a certain compression?

i dunno, but it all looks sweet.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The raised part is probably there to aid in dispersing the a/f mixture as the piston approaches top dead center to get a super homogenous mixture and prevent detonation. That is just a guess.

Man, that is one sweet build you got goin on there brotha. I'm just getting started planning for a turbo 408 myself. I will be running more boost but probably won't be running hand ported afr's or anything that expensive.

What kind of intake manifold are you going to use? Sheet metal, ls6, or what.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Originally Posted by parish8
sweet.

what it the purpose of the rasied part in the center of the piston?

The raised part in the center is too clear the small end of the rod underneath. With the large dish and a short compression height you sometimes have to have that there.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
The raised part is probably there to aid in dispersing the a/f mixture as the piston approaches top dead center to get a super homogenous mixture and prevent detonation. That is just a guess.

Man, that is one sweet build you got goin on there brotha. I'm just getting started planning for a turbo 408 myself. I will be running more boost but probably won't be running hand ported afr's or anything that expensive.

What kind of intake manifold are you going to use? Sheet metal, ls6, or what.
im gonna have 90mm lsx intake and 90 tb.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lookin good...... whats the expected completion date?????
Kyle
Old 02-12-2005, 01:38 PM
...with cheese.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some sweetass stuff dude...
Old 02-12-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

well this upcoming week allans gonna see if he has time to start putting together. and hopefully soon after that all the pieces will go together nicely. im being patient, cause it will be so nice once its all put together nicely.

no specific date yet though.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris@AP-Engineering
The raised part in the center is too clear the small end of the rod underneath. With the large dish and a short compression height you sometimes have to have that there.

Thanks

Chris, are my pistons similar?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Would it be possible to get a base tune thats slightly lean, and then use alcohol injection to dial in a specific a/f ratio.. if its a little lean one day, turn up the alcohol.. if its a little rich, turn it down a little.

Just curious.. I've seen a friend use his alcohol at the track when one fuel pump started to give out. It would run a little rich downlow, but up top it was nearly enough to compensate for the failing fuel pump.

My car is also at futral for a turbo setup. Right now I've only paid for the motor, and the th400 will be ordered soon. Next is the fuel system, and I'm not very interested in charging 2k-3k for a standalone if I don't absolutely have too. Considering that was money I needed for my turbo setup.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 02-12-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmm alan's shop is full of Forced induction cars that have potential. lol.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by distortion_69
Would it be possible to get a base tune thats slightly lean, and then use alcohol injection to dial in a specific a/f ratio.. if its a little lean one day, turn up the alcohol.. if its a little rich, turn it down a little.

Just curious.. I've seen a friend use his alcohol at the track when one fuel pump started to give out. It would run a little rich downlow, but up top it was nearly enough to compensate for the failing fuel pump.

My car is also at futral for a turbo setup. Right now I've only paid for the motor, and the th400 will be ordered soon. Next is the fuel system, and I'm not very interested in charging 2k-3k for a standalone if I don't absolutely have too. Considering that was money I needed for my turbo setup.

Thanks,
Josh
Allan says its all in the tune in regards to using meth. for right now, hes gonna tune everything just right so i wont even need it, unless there are some unexpected bumps in the project.

id rather keep it on a pump gas tune anyways, instead of relying on meth all the time.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

them some funky looking pistons.

two wastegates and a T6 flange always means trouble.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

ya, we were originally plannin on 1 wastegate, however he recalculated everything and decided 2 would be more benificial.

just curious, how much difference in power loss between drivetrains are there in a f body compared to a vette? both m6 and auto.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Good luck finding a v band clamp
i work on diesel buses and they have v claps all day long is that something hard to find cause if so i can get them depending on what size it is
Old 02-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Launching!

The tuning is not directly related to the power level. If your maxing out your MAF or MAP sensor, then its going to be inconsistant. The ECU just needs a way to accurately calculate the airflow its getting, and if its sensors are maxed out or whatever its not going to work well.

Don't they have reflashes to use positive-pressure MAP sensors with the stock ECU?

Quick Reply: Pics of the new GT55 turbo