Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BOV and ATI??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BOV and ATI??

I have an ati procharger kit and i hate the BOV that comes with the kit and i was wondering what kind of BOV some of you guys were running with this kit. I am getting a forged 346 built up right now and i am upping the boost to 15#'s so what do you guys recommend and do you have any sound clips of your cars or vids?
thanks
mike
Old 01-24-2005, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike2002
I have an ati procharger kit and i hate the BOV that comes with the kit and i was wondering what kind of BOV some of you guys were running with this kit. I am getting a forged 346 built up right now and i am upping the boost to 15#'s so what do you guys recommend and do you have any sound clips of your cars or vids?
thanks
mike
Anyone?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:35 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike2002
Anyone?
Most of us have removed the bypass valve completely and installed a new BOV to the atmosphere. I had the port in the "J" elbow on the drivers side welded up and then put a small K&N filter on the Inlet hat port. This helps the blower grab more air as well since the hat can be somewhat of a restriction for higher boost requirements.

Now for the BOV....most all BOV's will work for what your wanting. So it really comes down to preference. Coincidently I just posted to some fellow Procharger guys my new set-up with an ATI Raceready BOV that I had polished and installed in my plenum. The plenum is one of the best places to locate a BOV. Your close to vacuum sources and bleeds off the air right before the throttle plate. Good luck I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in on this!

Here's the thread I just posted on mine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/265936-paging-bos-kyle-tom-forcefed-update-pics.html

Mark
Old 01-24-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's two videos of how my MONDO BYPASS valve sounds. Its made by Vortech but will work on anything FI'ed. Moves a ton of air and is louder than hell. Others have made mufflers for theirs, I enjoy mine venting freely.
You can find em for 239 at jegs or summit and you have to buy a flange from vortech, but its only 11 bucks. You will have to do some welding but that's cake.
http://home.comcast.net/~jsbird1998/mondoatthetrack.mov
http://home.comcast.net/~jsbird1998/mondo.mov

J

Last edited by frcefed98; 01-25-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:38 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the reply's guys it just really annoys me when i am driving and all i hear is that chirping like sound. Frcefed your first link doesn't work but i did get to see your second and i was wondering if that ever got annoying? I love the sound just wondered if it ever gets old. I would say no but i have never had something like that.
thanks.
mike
Old 01-25-2005, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Ttt.....
Old 01-25-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so you know with a blower setup you want a bypass valve not a BOV.... i didnt like at all how the Tial BOV sounded on my ATI setup...... the Vortech "MONDO" was my next chose before i sold my kit.... i even ordered the flange and welded it on...... ask OSUhunter he loves it......
Kyle
Old 01-25-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

I have a turbonetics "godzilla" bov. It's good for a lot of boost and sounds cool too. It's huge compared to the ATI bov though.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

The thing with BOV's with SC is that the BOV doesnt vent all the time like the Vortech or the ATI race ready do...... so the BOV chirps 24-7...... if you thought the stock ATI one was bad,,,, ha ha its nothing compared to it......... esp on the freeway......
Kyle
Old 01-25-2005, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

so what would you recommend for a daily driver that doesn't chirp all the damn time but sounds half way decent. I don't want it to vent all the time either. I really don't know anything about them just want to make a educated decision.
mike
Old 01-25-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry for the delayed response Mike, I was at work..just getting home now.
Link is fixed, Kyle is right. Also a bypass will vent all the time no way around it. NOW for sound control, just route it back into the intake and that should quiet it down a lot or make a muffler for it like a few others have. Mine isn't bad at all because its so far down(behind the driverside fog light) Once the car is in OD you can barely hear it. But I like things a lil louder than others so it might not be the valve for you. IF you plan on pushing 15+psi make sure you get a valve that flows enough air for it.

But it will vent all the time, ATI or Vortech bypass valves..except WOT. It's up to you how you route em e.g. to atmosphere or back into the s/c...with the ATI you can only vent to atmosphere FWIW.
J
Old 01-25-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Sorry for the delayed response Mike, I was at work..just getting home now.
Link is fixed, Kyle is right. Also a bypass will vent all the time no way around it. NOW for sound control, just route it back into the intake and that should quiet it down a lot or make a muffler for it like a few others have. Mine isn't bad at all because its so far down(behind the driverside fog light) Once the car is in OD you can barely hear it. But I like things a lil louder than others so it might not be the valve for you. IF you plan on pushing 15+psi make sure you get a valve that flows enough air for it.

But it will vent all the time, ATI or Vortech bypass valves..except WOT. It's up to you how you route em e.g. to atmosphere or back into the s/c...with the ATI you can only vent to atmosphere FWIW.
J

If $$$ is a big thing go with the Vortech "MONDO" (Did i say it good enough for ya Jer... inside Joke) its not that loud in overdrive and part of the fun is letting everyone know what ya got...........
Kyle
Old 01-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

with the ATI you can only vent to atmosphere FWIW.
No, ATI has a recirculating Race Bypass Valve also.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

fwiw The Vortech will do the same job for less $$......
Kyle
Old 01-26-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Grasshopper
No, ATI has a recirculating Race Bypass Valve also.
Cool, never saw one listed or pics posted of it. If its the cheesy lil one that comes with the standard LS1 F-body ATI kit...then not even close to the flow levels of the MONDO and ATI race ready.
Please post up a link to the ATI piece as I am really interested in the recirc kit for it.

Kyle Exactly...plus you are ready to add a hose to recirc the vented air if you wanted.
J
Old 01-26-2005, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, while we are talking about it. Will I like a Tial if I order it for my twin setup. I do like things rather loud and plan on venting it to the atmosphere. Would a MONDO be louder? I can't get any of your vids to play sound frcefed and I have yet to actually hear a Tial either so.....
Old 01-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Cool, never saw one listed or pics posted of it. If its the cheesy lil one that comes with the standard LS1 F-body ATI kit...then not even close to the flow levels of the MONDO and ATI race ready.
Please post up a link to the ATI piece as I am really interested in the recirc kit for it.
I'll see what I can find.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Here's a picture of the recirc. race bypass valve. It's the same price as the other one.

http://procharger.com/component_photos.shtml
Old 01-27-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

It the silver one on the left a new design for the older butterfly valve bypass valve? I've never seen that one before. I wonder if that comes with newer kits.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dayummmm! Think you guys could maybe attach some bigger pictures next time?

Quick Reply: BOV and ATI??