Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5 psi STS ET's

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005 | 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Maybe you could line up with my car and that mouth and ill knock em out one by one. Deal?

Mike
Keyboard ***** ehh...puss.
Old 02-09-2005 | 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

dudes, seriously, in every system be it N/A, FI, or NOS; their are gonna have their pro's and cons.

In the STS kit, for example, the placed the turbo in the rear to avoid heat soaking in the engine compartment. (Pro) But, placing the turbo so far away from the power source, exhaust manifold, you will need to increase exhaust velocity to have the same affect as a turbo located in the engine compartment. (Con)

Also, a turbo acts like a plate that retricts the exhaust flow. Like a cut out, open it up and you'll get more flow. I think this is one of the reasons why a sts kit has low 60'z when in low boost applications. Until that turbo is at max boost, the turbo itself is not matching its restriction with its output. (cut out closed). Also, in N/A, you can have a low 60'z becuase your exhaust isnt restricted by a turbine.

With that, i think the STS kit is good for wat it is but due to the need to ncrease exhaust velocity, these kits wont really shine until boost level above 10psi or 12psi

im considering the kit but i have just one question.

How much ground clearance do you loose when plumbing the pipes under the car? Not so much the turbo but the pipes going to and from the motor. Im lowered also....

anyone?
Old 02-09-2005 | 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by YOUR03COBRA8ME
Stock motor, stock injectors,
18 inch rims Street tires no methanol
5 PSI

R/T .411
60' 2.395
330 5.558
1/8 8.219
MPH 94.03
1000 10.489
1/4 12.382
MPH 120.09
Nice time and excellent MPH for an untuned motor and street tires!
Old 02-09-2005 | 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Waaaahoooo, This thread is great. .. . I have an STS kit on my car, I like it and that's all that matters. . . My opinion is above all. . .This kit is the absolute best, I swear my 13.00s on it!!! Its better than N/A cars and Nitrous cars. . . "Judge Not, For You Have Been Judged First"
Quite honestly Line them up and race, afterall we're all here to mod our cars and go fast. Seems the objective has been met no matter which way One decides to go.

and it goes on and on and on!!!
Old 02-09-2005 | 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

[/QUOTE]
How much ground clearance do you loose when plumbing the pipes under the car? Not so much the turbo but the pipes going to and from the motor. Im lowered also....

anyone?[/QUOTE]

Its about the same as low hanging long tubes. So basically losing a couple inches. No big deal drive carefully!
I have DMS lowering springs and stock shocks. I also have FLP lts which would scrape in certain instances. With the STS kit there are two major low spots: one near the k-member where the piping is routed under it and near the rear tire where the piping makes a bend to go over the rearend (this one could be pulled up with some modification). Hope that helps. Also there is an entire thread on this, check it out.
Old 02-09-2005 | 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
See what you guys fail to notice is that by moving the STS kit to the rear of the truck you are interfereing with the proper boost fluid pressure being built up by the spark decouplers. Without proper boost fluid pressure in the spark decouplers, how in the hell to do you expect to have the condensate shaft hooking up at the track? Sheesh! Every idiot knows this stuff if he understands plasma physics!!!

So...

1) TURBO LAG is the time it takes to build to full boost after going to full throttle. It has nothing to do with bogging on the line. That is from tuning or driving...
2) "You kill exhaust velocity by running 12 ft of pipe to a turbo in a far away location. Period." And? That's why they run such low MPHs, right? All that lost horsepower? You lose TEMPERATURE by moving the turbo. But guess what? Increase the PRESSURE and the TEMPERATURE goes back up, right? Anyway, turbos are driven by exhaust pulses...
3) I predicted this line of STS bashing a while ago -- I said that as soon as more people started posting times and they were decent with great MPHs some "expert" would start complaining about 60 foot times LOL. Step right on up, Mike.
4) Pro's don't use STS kits -- okay fair enough -- why not? They are doing max effort, FULL RACE setups. I notice most of them don't use ET Streets either, so therefore, ET Streets must suck. Same thing with full sized radiators and A/C and passenger seats, and intank fuel pumps and keys!!!! Or Radix kits -- and well all know Radix kits suck, right? LOL

But, hey, Thanks Mike for the entertainment.
I expected toolish responses like this. Its always an attempt to get people to believe your way. Ill take any of the STS cars street or race against my car in the March race. Any takers?

Cam only nitrous fed, street car here.
Old 02-09-2005 | 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Keyboard ***** ehh...puss.
*looking around* Not talking to me. Run a search for my screen name and see what ET's you come up with.
Mike
Old 02-09-2005 | 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PurEvl
ya with a stall and slicks, Im talking about 6 speed cars on street tires. No real setups have been track tested yet with the sts. As for your **** in my mouth...I could whistle dixie and eat a hamburger and there would still be enough room.
I run on Radials....275-60's to be exact.
Old 02-09-2005 | 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wildman
Thief, thief!!! Those ***** don't belong to you... Neither does this thread.
Again you have proven yourself not up to the task of knowing anything that you are talking about regarding turbo's and STS kit.

People said it would never work... it worked.
People said it would not dyno well... it dynoed well
People said there would be horrendous lag... lag is was nowhere near as bad as thought
People said it wouldn't do well at the track... It is doing just fine at the track

Mike... this is not the first time you have bashed STS kits. You don't like them, fine, don't buy one. AND you have the right to your opinion, BUT when you start spouting off and haven't done your homework, you produce mis-information.

And in all, I think you are out to get this thread locked, which probably will, and that means you win.

ADMIN... please stop locking STS threads and just edit out the trolls.
People are getting what they are asking for. The OP posted track times and doesn't deserve to get his thread locked because of flame bait.

Youre right, I am entitled to my opinions and views. Most of them are correct too!

Mike
Old 02-09-2005 | 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Cam only nitrous fed, street car here.

Wrong forum . . . Does anyone agree??

Must have seen the STS in the Title and got jealous
Old 02-09-2005 | 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I have been sitting on the fence about a turbo lately and nearly bought an sts but the new price increases stopped me for now.I think they went up over a thousand bucks since they first came out.So they aren't that cheap anymore really but a bit cheaper than a front mount kit.But there is nothing wrong with some of the mph and times I have seen so far.
Also I thought six speed cars need a two step to launch properly.I have a turbo talon and of course its normal turbo configuration but most guys that race them use a two step stutter box thing.Now talons especially my awd can get a fantastic 60ft off the line like 1.6 on street tires.I am not sure if that is due to the front mount normal turbo design or not.

Also a couple other things come to mind here..What is done to your v6 to make it go 11s? Even at sea level the only six bangers I know that are that fast have superchargers and or nitrous to approach those times.Or you have a front mount turbo?
And I would like to see a car hit 10.7 with converters and 125 shots maybe if they were totally stripped down to nothing.It takes I think around 600 engine hp to hit 10s or very light weight and great 60fts too.Course my track is at 1900 feet so that hurts times a bit.But think the correction is about three tenths and our fastest ls1 car with heads/cam/headers and all bolt ons only hits 12.2 with very 60fts around 2.0.

It will be interesting to see how more of these sts cars do this summer with proper track setups.And as for turbo lag killing 60fts the videos I have seen on the sts sites seem to show tons of wheelspin and smoking tires,they appear to have traction problems not turbo lag problems or were all those cars autos?

You've been misinformed on what it takes to run those et's.....The car we did it in was a good friend of mine in the winter time when the air was nice. I beleive the car made about 440rwhp at this time.

The car had a totally stock internal motor, LT's and some custom duals I Built for him, A dry kit with a decent tune on it. On 28x9 slicks the car would 60 in the 1.4's with the stock 10 bolt, 3.73's spraying out of the hole with full interior minus spare and jack. There are videos of it running in the Street Shootout at in Wichita Falls TX. My car was about 200 lbs less with a little less power on the gas (100hp at the wheels) and it too ran 10.7's @124 on 28" ET streets. Many cars can do this, but tuning and suspension is the key to a cars success along with power.
Old 02-09-2005 | 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by speedy0009
Wrong forum . . . Does anyone agree??

Must have seen the STS in the Title and got jealous
If I wanted to be slower I too would have spent 3500 more and bought a rear turbo setup.
Old 02-09-2005 | 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Youre right, I am entitled to my opinions and views. Most of them are correct too!

Mike
In your own world... you would be correct. You got what? 8 people saying you are wrong and have the data to back it up... From actual STS owners and installers. Someone that went from a D1SC to an STS and has better performance.

And heres you: (girly voice) one time... at band camp... I saw an STS camaro... and it did 25 seconds at 60'. Oh... and I saw this other STS car.... it did the quarter in 45 seconds... I know.. hehe.

Yeah... you are the expert... I am done with this thread.

But you keep talking to show how ignorant you really are.

.... to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

GG (good game /sarcastic).
Old 02-09-2005 | 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wildman
In your own world... you would be correct. You got what? 8 people saying you are wrong and have the data to back it up... From actual STS owners and installers. Someone that went from a D1SC to an STS and has better performance.

And heres you: (girly voice) one time... at band camp... I saw an STS camaro... and it did 25 seconds at 60'. Oh... and I saw this other STS car.... it did the quarter in 45 seconds... I know.. hehe.

Yeah... you are the expert... I am done with this thread.

But you keep talking to show how ignorant you really are.

.... to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

GG (good game /sarcastic).

HAHAHA
Old 02-09-2005 | 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys I just went through alot of v6birds posts and hes quit the **** talker and has been called on his mouth before. He does have a very fast car, of course its got a th400 and its gutted.....******* chooch is talking **** with an all out race car. Ya th400 is totally street car Talk to me when your 3800 pounds and using a 6 speed, lets see how fast you go then.
Old 02-09-2005 | 02:28 PM
On The Tree

V6 Bird, will you help me to understand just what you are talking about? I have a
V6 Firebird and know that there are some GTP's and a few Firebirds with heavily modded motors that use turbos, NOS, or superchargers can run less than 13's. What are you doing to make your car faster than an STS powered V8 with 400HP?
Old 02-09-2005 | 02:36 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
If you can build boost off the line and drop your 60' to at least a high 1.9 you'll drop about 8 10ths off your ET. That should put ya around a mid 11. The MPH is good enough for a low 11 realistically. Even better with a drag oriented car.

If I don't spool mine off the line I get 2.1 60's or so. If I do spool it up my 60' drops to a 1.80.. Pretty big difference
With 18" street tires, if he spooled it on the line, he'd have 3.0 short times. MPH might be a little inflated from the tire spin, but 120 is 120.

Last edited by mongse; 02-09-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2005 | 02:49 PM
Teching In

Hey V6 bird i will run you. And do you think you can push my teeth in??? Hmm want to find out??? And what do you do when your bottle is emty?? Want to do a 200 or 300 mile road race?? Oh i forgot you have no overdrive and your bottle will run out ha ha ha
Old 02-09-2005 | 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by studentdriver
Maybe they should sponsor a car so some good times get posted...
Yeah like me. I am going to use their kit in a full on drag setup and see what she will do.....
Old 02-09-2005 | 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe we should get a STS front mount turbo bashing crew together and go ruin everyone elses threads.

Quick Reply: 5 psi STS ET's