Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger Whine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoostedWS7
the vortech SC seem to be louder than the prochargers. i like that my procharger is quiet, besides the blowoff, which is the best noise a boosted car can make...niiice

I wouldnt agree whit what you said.......... i guess you dodnt hear mine....... when you spin the ATI kits way faster at idle and up top they are way louder........ like in my vid in the post above...... and when aded with a bigger filter and FMIC its WAY Louder.
Kyle
Old 02-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Fullthrottledan1

kyle your car sounds really sweet. that is really loud.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fullthrottledan1
kyle your car sounds really sweet. that is really loud.

Thanks Dan...... i loe your truck.... 20"s???? I want one slammed to Haul my car to and from the trackand to cruise evey day....... i wonder if i could do that with a truck as low as yours....... well maybe with Bags and just raise it upa bit for towing i guess....
Kyle
Old 08-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the Gilmer Belt drive pulley system... Where are there suitable ones forsale for the LS1 engine..?

Pretty much all I want out of this is the nice superchargish whine sound just for nice sounding reasons

Does anybody know anything?

Thanks
Regards, Rob
Old 08-29-2005, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

my car's a whiner.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know that there have been some problems with the cogged, or Gilmer-style blower drives for the LS1 car, and they are not as popular. I have been kicking around the idea of building something from the spare pulleys I have, but I think I will run a turbo instead.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Probably dumb question, but... Can anything be done to a p1-sc setup to minimize the whine at idle / low rpms?

If you run at 5psi (so don't spin it too hard), could you keep the 6 rib for a more stealthy setup (for a 99.99% street driven car)? Is an 8 rib setup really that much noisier? I figured it was mostly the gears...
Old 08-29-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Geo.
Probably dumb question, but... Can anything be done to a p1-sc setup to minimize the whine at idle / low rpms?

If you run at 5psi (so don't spin it too hard), could you keep the 6 rib for a more stealthy setup (for a 99.99% street driven car)? Is an 8 rib setup really that much noisier? I figured it was mostly the gears...

Its the way the gears are cut...... but the spinning at idle faster (smaller pulley) does make it louder..... so does a bigger filter and Intercooler...... U can try and make it quieter..... i had a D1-SC so even when i was on a stock motor with 4 psi it was stil loud enough that EVERYONE knew i had a blower....
Its part of the fun..... ya know...

Kyle
Old 08-30-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

I have a 8-rib setup running a Vortech V-2 SQ (superquiet).

Like Fullthrottledan1 referred to, the V-2 has a set of spur gears (angled diagonally across the gear so the contact is more of a sliding than a straight gear meshing).

Mine is pretty quiet after it warms up to 150+.

There is a little whistle at idle and low acceleration/cruise. Some of that I believe is coming from the mondo bypass valve - the rest from the gears and air intake. There is no resonator in the air column leading to the blower, like the factory would do.

I am still tuning but am happy so far.

Jim
Old 08-30-2005, 05:26 AM
FormerVendor

Heres another vid for you. it seems pretty loud at idle. The guy def. has a crazy set up.
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....erm=datsun&p=0
Old 08-30-2005, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I find out that a lot of noise is coming out of the air filter.
I first had the stock filter as Vortech instructions and it was pretty quite (non audible from 1200 rpm and up).
Now I have a FIPK and I clearly hear the blower noise (gears!) coming out of the filter.
Also something to consider... maybe a shield around the Procharger cone filter to adsorb the noise if it disturbs.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Whine?