Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

why exhaust temp matters for turbos

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tannji
How much of the temperature drop do you think is due to "conversion to mechanical energy" as opposed to the pressure drop on the open side of the turbo? The reason I ask, is that that is an awful big difference in temps, and if the STS system is putting out any appreciable percentage of the HP a conventional turbo system is, that would seem to indicate that while the conventional turbo is indeed slightly more efficient due to scavenging heat energy, the drop in temp doesnt have that big of an affect, assuming the appropriate hardware is used. I would think that BOTH systems see a huge drop in temps in the same 6 inches, as long as the turbo is in the middle of that 6 inches. Just curious.... (and I echo the sentiment that this thread has less flameage than is the norm....) Also, any comparisons of exhaust temps been done between the two sytems, after the turbo?
the heat that gets converted into machanical energy is smaller than the energy from the moving gas, but it is still significant. the gas once it gets to the sts was what...500 degrees cooler? so the drop wont be as big simply because theres less heat to start with. both setups can be made to make the same power, but on the sts you should probably get a bigger turbine wheel on the exhaust side.

Quick Reply: why exhaust temp matters for turbos