Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Phamspeed kit installed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 12:23 PM
...with cheese.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered the Hotparts and the Intercooler, I already had the rest of the parts. A kit from Phamspeed consists of: Turbo "GT42", Tial 44mm Wastegate, Hotparts, oil lines and fittings, and optional intercooler with your choice of size. It's a builder kit, you can go different routes with it. It's extremely cost effective the way it's setup. Phamspeed has prices on their website.

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Wow that video is nice, sweet *** car too. A couple of questions on the kit. If you dont mind how much did everything cost, including the FMIC, turbo, and anything else you needed (not including injectors, fuel pump, etc)? Also, how much dyno tuning did you need or did the kit come with an upgraded ecu? Thanks for your time and it looks like your gonna have plenty of fun with that set up!
Old 03-18-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Armageddon
Honestly, I really don't know anybody. I know there are quite a few in montgomery! I think we are kind of by ourselves here.
I am about an hour south of you in Chattahoochee, FL. Not really die-hard as I do not have the funds to do so. I did however install a RAM clutch, flywheel, and hydraulics in my driveway on jack stands . Next up----headers, dual exhaust and a 9" .
Old 03-18-2005, 01:46 PM
...with cheese.

awesome, we need to get some folks together sometime and cruise!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Wow that video is nice, sweet *** car too. A couple of questions on the kit. If you dont mind how much did everything cost, including the FMIC, turbo, and anything else you needed (not including injectors, fuel pump, etc)? Also, how much dyno tuning did you need or did the kit come with an upgraded ecu? Thanks for your time and it looks like your gonna have plenty of fun with that set up!
I think I paid like 4k for the kit and the fmic thats shipped. Now I have to fab up the fmic piping.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Armagedon, what is your exhaust setup please?
Old 03-19-2005, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Contrats on the kit man...that thing is a f'n monster!! thanks for taking the time to answer eveyones relentless questions...I eventually plan on a turbo...and I will try to get a size that will spin up as quick as that one, Ive always disliked the lag time in turbo cars, but DAMN do they pull when it does spool.

Obviously it is not right now, but is that going to pretty much be daily driver?

Nice car, keep up the good work.
Charles

Last edited by A_W_O_L; 03-19-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:46 PM
...with cheese.

Originally Posted by solobaric
Hey Armagedon, what is your exhaust setup please?
Straight 3in downpipe off the turbo.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:48 PM
...with cheese.

Originally Posted by A_W_O_L
Contrats on the kit man...that thing is a f'n monster!! thanks for taking the time to answer eveyones relentless questions...I eventually plan on a turbo...and I will try to get a size that will spin up as quick as that one, Ive always disliked the lag time in turbo cars, but DAMN do they pull when it does spool.

Obviously it is not right now, but is that going to pretty much be daily driver?

Nice car, keep up the good work.
Charles
No problem... I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't want to answer questions. As far as the daily driver question goes, I wouldn't have kept all my accesories including A/C if I didn't want to drive it all the time
Old 03-19-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Say you order there complete kit, the kit w/ the 42, and the fmic kit, what do you need besides/tuning/injectors/fuel pump? Just to fab up some piping? Congrats on the kit--freaking awesome!
Old 03-19-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoneSS
Say you order there complete kit, the kit w/ the 42, and the fmic kit, what do you need besides/tuning/injectors/fuel pump? Just to fab up some piping? Congrats on the kit--freaking awesome!
It's not a fmic kit it's just a core with the endtanks. So you will need the ic pipes,.BOV,couplings, and clamps. You will also need a airfilter for the turbo and fab up a exhaust system to the DP that comes with the turbo kit.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Minus the exhaust setup, about how much does that run?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I'd also like to know... I checked their website but it took forever to load, & when it did, it was all little red "X"s...

Only thing showing was the page counter...I have a T1 connection so its not my DL speed..Im running 50+MB/sec

Im very interested in this in the long term...looks like a quality kit. Seems they are popping up quite often...

Gotta get the 6L built before I even think of ordering this though
Old 03-19-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will have around 4500 for a full kit. That's the turbo kit and FMIC w/pipes,couplings,clamps, and the BOV. That's with me doing all my own fab work. Sounds like a pretty good deal for a kit that I think will have no problem putting over 700hp to the wheels.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much work goes into fabbing up those pipes? What would you think an exhaust shop would charge? I appreciate all the feedback!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not to hard to do. It's like putting a puzzle together kinda. I have done them on other cars but not my TA yet but from what everyone says there lots of room to work. Not sure how much aplace would charge for something like that. If you supplied the pipe's I would say anywhere from $200 to $400 bucks. Could be more depending on the work they do.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Armageddon
As far as the daily driver question goes, I wouldn't have kept all my accesories including A/C if I didn't want to drive it all the time
Driving it "all the time" is a little vague ...I know a number of people that drive theirs "all the time" ...every or every other WEEKEND. I wasnt sure what your motive was for leaving A/C on it..maybe to prove that you COULD keep the A/C with this kit, keep the car as stock appearing/functioning as possible???? I guess the better question would have been: How many miles will you be driving it every week? (the first 2 or so weeks dont count id be driving that bad **** 2 or 3 times as much as I normally would, just playing around )

I'm not take the A/C off of mine either i dont car how much it would help...and the first person I catch trying to remove it is getting in the ***.

Keep up the good work...looks GREAT so far!

Charles

Last edited by A_W_O_L; 03-20-2005 at 12:57 AM. Reason: damn spel chk
Old 03-20-2005, 01:34 AM
...with cheese.

I drive 30 miles one way to work 5 days a week, I do that 3 or more times out of the 5 I go to work. That doesn't include playtime
Old 03-20-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am familiar with turbos as one of my cars is a 92 awd talon highly modded.

I am thinking hard on doing a turbo on my 99 was leaning to and just about ordered an sts but dont' like giving up my b and b catback or cutting up my kenny brown double diamond and front mount has some other advantages I guess altough the sts car particualarly those two gtos are knocking on the 10s door and that is way fast enough for me.But the sts kit adds up quick as everything is an option.It was I think thousand cheaper when it came out and I don't care if it takes a few days or week to install a front mount.

I have some questions..whats size piping does that intercooler have.3 inch or 2 or 2.5.Also you can hack together piping cheap and then do it right later
I have used reinforced rad hose no problem on my talon.To do it right you should buy high quality 4 ply I think is best silicone couplings and proper or even custom t bolt clamps.I get mine from a company called kinetic motorsportts up in canada but they sell to slowboy racing in the states.
They have clamps like 2.63 instead of usual 2.75 for say 2.5 inch tubing.
Work a bit better and still pretty cheap.

So the phamspeed intercooler will still fit under my ta front end.I don't plan on hacking big holes in the bumper.Might take out foglights and front liscence area but think it should work regardless after all the ati procharger intercoolers don't make you hack up your front end.

So what is the power potential of this basic turbo.you said 700 hp was that engine or rwhp..at what boost.How is that turbo for spool up..in by 3000 or so..feel it at 2000..? Is it ball bearing or conventional. I would assume conventional as didn't see mention of water lines.
I would also assume you would put blow off before the maf and use the maf blow thru?
How hard are the oil feed and return lines to install.Did you drop the pan off the car or do it on.Does the phamspeed stuff have any instructions at all?

Be very curious to see what your car can run at the track.I would think it would be easy 10s with the rigtht stuff..drag tires,etc.
I also know that two steps really help launch the turbos and build boost off the line.It works great in my talon combined with a no lift to shift thing.
the no lift to shift really keeps the turbo spooled since normally when you back off the blow off vents off your boost.

Your video was decent too and really makes you want to get a turbo on one of these cars.The sts videos are also great.

So what is your fuel system..? I was thinking racetronix pump kit and
42 or maybe 60 motron injectors hear they will idle and work good with our cars racetronix sells them too and of course hp tuners to tune it all up.
From looking at the sts cars would think 5 to 8 would be good safe boost on stock motor.Or guess could add a water /alco injection for more insurance.

That intercooler looks like it would do a decent job.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I am familiar with turbos as one of my cars is a 92 awd talon highly modded.

I am thinking hard on doing a turbo on my 99 was leaning to and just about ordered an sts but dont' like giving up my b and b catback or cutting up my kenny brown double diamond and front mount has some other advantages I guess altough the sts car particualarly those two gtos are knocking on the 10s door and that is way fast enough for me.But the sts kit adds up quick as everything is an option.It was I think thousand cheaper when it came out and I don't care if it takes a few days or week to install a front mount.

I have some questions..whats size piping does that intercooler have.3 inch or 2 or 2.5.Also you can hack together piping cheap and then do it right later
I have used reinforced rad hose no problem on my talon.To do it right you should buy high quality 4 ply I think is best silicone couplings and proper or even custom t bolt clamps.I get mine from a company called kinetic motorsportts up in canada but they sell to slowboy racing in the states.
They have clamps like 2.63 instead of usual 2.75 for say 2.5 inch tubing.
Work a bit better and still pretty cheap.

So the phamspeed intercooler will still fit under my ta front end.I don't plan on hacking big holes in the bumper.Might take out foglights and front liscence area but think it should work regardless after all the ati procharger intercoolers don't make you hack up your front end.

So what is the power potential of this basic turbo.you said 700 hp was that engine or rwhp..at what boost.How is that turbo for spool up..in by 3000 or so..feel it at 2000..? Is it ball bearing or conventional. I would assume conventional as didn't see mention of water lines.
I would also assume you would put blow off before the maf and use the maf blow thru?
How hard are the oil feed and return lines to install.Did you drop the pan off the car or do it on.Does the phamspeed stuff have any instructions at all?

Be very curious to see what your car can run at the track.I would think it would be easy 10s with the rigtht stuff..drag tires,etc.
I also know that two steps really help launch the turbos and build boost off the line.It works great in my talon combined with a no lift to shift thing.
the no lift to shift really keeps the turbo spooled since normally when you back off the blow off vents off your boost.

Your video was decent too and really makes you want to get a turbo on one of these cars.The sts videos are also great.

So what is your fuel system..? I was thinking racetronix pump kit and
42 or maybe 60 motron injectors hear they will idle and work good with our cars racetronix sells them too and of course hp tuners to tune it all up.
From looking at the sts cars would think 5 to 8 would be good safe boost on stock motor.Or guess could add a water /alco injection for more insurance.

That intercooler looks like it would do a decent job.
Wow bro you don't ask much do you. As for the fmic I said it before it's NOT A KIT meaning no pipes at all just a core w/endtanks. The inlet/outlet is 3" but you might be able to get something custom from they if you ask.

Yes from everything I read and seen a fmic fits nice in a TA bumper alot of guys remove the front plate cover and fog lights.

I said the kit should have no problem putting down over 700 rwhp. The turbo is rated till 900hp as for the hot parts go you can compare them to Turbo Tech's race kit and there's guys makeing 800+ with that kit. I think the kit will put out 500+rwhp without even pushing it.

I also would like to know what you fuel setup is Armageddon. I am going to use dual walbro's,-8 feed line, factory feed line for new return, fuel rails, FPR at the rail's, and the Mototron 60's.

I seen alot of guys run 5-8psi with a good tune on stock bottem end. Some at 10psi but I would run a meth kit for that. Plus you really have to look at how much HP you making at a certain psi. If you are making high 500's with 8psi that could be pushing it for a stock motor. Meaning it might not last to long.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:38 PM
...with cheese.

god I'm glad you answered that...

Quick Reply: Phamspeed kit installed!!!!