Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bolt ons to complement STS turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bolt ons to complement STS turbo

Trying to build the utlimate reliable Show car Street Car. I just bought a 35th ann SS, 6 speed with under 10K miles. Shes a beaut! My 3rd LS1. Ive gone the Heads/Cam/Forged Bottom end way before.

This time i will be getting the Turbo first, i would like the 5lb kit with intercooler. I would like to add all the bolt ons to it that would be beneficial. Do i need a lid? i saw on the STS sight the car had a lid? didnt make much sense.

I was thinking: MTI ported billet TB, Smooth bellows, Polished stock Maf, Kooks Headers ( loved my last set ) Ypipe with cats, Turbo for Catback obviously. Tuned, all the fuel system upgrades, strong clutch and a 12 bolt.

Ive got a basically brand new bottom end. In the future, i will build up a new LS2 block, but for now, i think i would aslo like to add a small Cam. Remember, this is a show car/ cruising car. Maybe see the track a few times a year. I dont go out looking for street races anymore but hardly let down if one finds me

If the headers are un necessary, would an aftermarket Ypipe be beneficial? Im not going to be doing all of this over night. It will take a year to get her all together.
Thanks
Scoobs
Old 03-19-2005, 07:36 AM
Launching!

The stock exhaust will work fine. If you want headers and y-pipe go ahead. It want hurt. If you are planning on future upgrades. Go ahead and upgrade the turbo and fuel system. That way you can grow into it. Go ahead and get the dial boost also. I would then get an intercooler or meth. I preffer the intercooler. Make sure you build that trans and rear. You will cook both of them if you dont. That is if its an auto. I wouldn't change the gears though. Turbo will work better with a higher gear. Oh yea. The lid on the car is not needed.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

Upgrade the fuel system right away then get a custom grind cam for whatever your application is and work on getting an intercooler and raising your boost levels. The stock exhaust is fine but I'm not sure if LT's will help or not.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:56 AM
12 Second Truck Club

You can't run a lid or a smooth bellows..

Headers would be mainly for show as the power increase on a low HP application would be negligible. Also make that if you do use headers that there are ZERO leaks. That's why most people stick with stock exhaust stuff. No leaks.

Peronally I'd spend the extra money on a fuel system and intercooler. If you have money to spare have your exhaust system coated this a thermal barrier.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i wasnt sure about the smooth bellow as i have yet to see a good underhood picture of the system. The pictures on the STS website show a lid, therefore i assumed a MAF and a bellow. I couldnt understand it myself. So, does the plumbing attach directly to the Maf? I need a good photo. Ok, LT's will be down the line, this is not ALL about the power but the sound and the look as well.

Fuel system upgrades to me are essential as well as the intercooler. I am not a budget build up kind of guy. I get the best thats out there for what i need. However, i do not want to build a new bottom end, so 5 lbs is fine for me. Looking for any bolt ons, cam, recomendations to get a bit more power without adding more stress to the bottom end. Thanks for all input
Scoobs
Old 03-19-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, also, the Single exit exhaust tip is kinda fugly.... Has anyone custom fabbed up a dual same side outlet, similar to say the SLP 2OTL exhaust? or mabye even added say a good set of Tips, like the Corsa ones. Need the bling factor too.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:43 AM
12 Second Truck Club

You can see here how my MAF is connected. When my kit was stock the MAF was on the left side of the motor but after the intercooler I had to switch it around. The F-body kits mount them in a different spot but still not right to the TB.

In this pic you can see the 2 different colored pipes. Where the 2 join is where my MAF would be on a stock kit.

So as you can see you can change the MAF location but you must tune for that and NOT change it's location AFTER the tune.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.trtturbo.com/images/FMIC_install_011.jpg
http://www.trtturbo.com/images/Chris_Firehawk_003.jpg
Since you are not wanting something crazy, here are some ideas.
LS6 cam; little more cam, but smooth and reliable. You can always go with a little more cam, but it depends on what you want.
LS6 springs, better springs for cheap if you dont have alot of cam.
42lb injectors; makes the kit safer and you will always plenty of fuel & they are cheap
FMIC
STS kit with blow off valve
Good tune is a must
Walbro 255lph intank pump
I would just maybe port your stock manifolds a little and have them coated. It will look good and hold some heat in.
If it were me, I wouldnt do the 12 bolt for just 5 pounds. Its been a year and I am still on the stock rear end as well as clutch and I use my car to give rides in.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

can i ask why you have your eyes set on an sts? just curious since you said this is not being built to fit a budget and you want the best.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
can i ask why you have your eyes set on an sts? just curious since you said this is not being built to fit a budget and you want the best.

STS kits are for budget minded people who don't want to thrash in their engine bay. Nothing drops more jaws at car shows than a big pair of twins under the hood.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
Price, reliability, complete kit, can still bling out my engine without piping everywhere. Plus there is a dealer out here and many knowledgeable people to lend a hand if i am in need. When i said that am not building on a budget i was mainly referring to the fact that i would ensure all of the fuel system, cooling and tuning upgrades were in place and that this wouldnt be radical but would include the best parts money can buy for my goals. Thanks for the above information. The main point of this post was to get information on supporting mods that would allow complete reliability and more power without having to up the boost.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Rick's 1,000 horsepower TA is using stock manifolds, this will be THE STS car above all others. We just got the Iron manifolds HPC coated black. Go with the GT67 upgrade for sure. The stock pipes work really well.

Last edited by bradyb; 03-21-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Here's some pics/videos of the optional STS(corsa) twin tip:

Launch:

Old 03-21-2005, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

We also can get the exhaust housing on the turbo HPC coated too so you can display the STS kit at shows. If you want the attention at a car show a rear mount turbo totally freaks peope out.

Last edited by bradyb; 03-21-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Bolt ons to complement STS turbo